Wildcard777

12 foot rods for plugging

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

For as long as I can remember, the 10 - 11 foot rods were standard for beach pluggin’ but today I’m noticing more people throwing these new lightweight 12’ rods to get the extra distance while putting less stress on the body.  Century, CTS and others are making these 12 footers rated to launch a lil neck or sp with little on no effort.  Are any of you plugging with 12’ rods?

My Beach Plugging Rods, in order of length, noting that I never wade out to the bar, as my knees and lower back no longer handle getting hit by significant waves - 10ft 6in Century Slingshot Spinner 1-4oz ( medium size Metal Lips, Poppers, Bottle Plugs, and Darters), 10 ft 6 inch Century Slingshot Conventional 2-5 oz (throws tins and jigs best), 11ft Century Slingshot Spinner 1-4 oz  (6inch SP Minnows, loaded Redfins and Bombers), 11ft 6in FSC Predator 3/4-4oz ( medium size Pencils, 6 1/2 to 7 inch SP Minnow, loaded Redfin and Bombers), 12ft 6in Century Slingshot HG144L Spinner 1-4oz (for throwing 2 1/2 to 3oz lures over 300 ft), 12ft Shimano Tiralego Spinner 2-5 oz (for throwing anything 4oz over the bar- never measured ability on a field), 13 ft 2 in CTS S8 Spinner, 180 grams max ( measured cast with both 100 and 125 grams was 400+ft, don't remember the exact number anymore).  HJ 144 measured Uni-Tech Field Cast with VS 250, 30lb PP and 3 oz T-Hex was 351 ft. CTS S8 has a 31 inch handle to accommodate OTG casting, but is only used to throw to fish breaking well past the outer bar. 

3 hours ago, FlatWing said:

My Beach Plugging Rods, in order of length, noting that I never wade out to the bar, as my knees and lower back no longer handle getting hit by significant waves - 10ft 6in Century Slingshot Spinner 1-4oz ( medium size Metal Lips, Poppers, Bottle Plugs, and Darters), 10 ft 6 inch Century Slingshot Conventional 2-5 oz (throws tins and jigs best), 11ft Century Slingshot Spinner 1-4 oz  (6inch SP Minnows, loaded Redfins and Bombers), 11ft 6in FSC Predator 3/4-4oz ( medium size Pencils, 6 1/2 to 7 inch SP Minnow, loaded Redfin and Bombers), 12ft 6in Century Slingshot HG144L Spinner 1-4oz (for throwing 2 1/2 to 3oz lures over 300 ft), 12ft Shimano Tiralego Spinner 2-5 oz (for throwing anything 4oz over the bar- never measured ability on a field), 13 ft 2 in CTS S8 Spinner, 180 grams max ( measured cast with both 100 and 125 grams was 400+ft, don't remember the exact number anymore).  HJ 144 measured Uni-Tech Field Cast with VS 250, 30lb PP and 3 oz T-Hex was 351 ft. CTS S8 has a 31 inch handle to accommodate OTG casting, but is only used to throw to fish breaking well past the outer bar. 

I just purchased a Century Slingshot 1505 12’6” .  I have not received it yet. It’s rated 1 to 4.  I’ll be using an Avet SX G2 or Abu 6500 C3 CT mag on it.  Since you are familiar with Century Rods, do you think I can toss 1 oz lures effectively with it?  I normally throw 2.5 to 4 oz but was wanting to go a little lighter for Fluke in the summer.  Not sure how the rod handles the low end of the range.

Edited by Birdsnester

I have been using a CTS Vapor Trail 12ft 3-6oz for just the reasons you stated. I mounted the reel with tape just above the reel seat that is on the rod. I needed the extra distance from butt to reel for more leverage. I like the rod. I just got hold of an FSC Montauk Predator 11ft 1-5 oz at a good price, I will be adding to the butt about 6-8in with the same goal in mind, throwing plugs for long distances.

We developed 12' Black Hole East Coast 3/4 -4 oz and 3 - 6 oz rods for rooster in Mexico. 

And we developed 12' and 13' Black Hole Surf II Heavy 3 - 10 oz for Virginia and NC anglers.

Oh yea these days I mostly fish in jersey in the back water I use a 15 footer out front when its flat and calm maybe a 17 or 18 , cant wait till somebody makes a 20 footer cause the power cable in my driveway is hanging a bit low could use it to prop it up  it aint how big your rod is its how you rock the boat  you guys kill me

Anyone heard of the Century Graphene?  Supposedly one of their lightest blanks designed for extreme distance and efficiency.  

12.5' foot rods were too cumbersome but I think these new thinner diameter rods make them viable for the surf.

10 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

I just purchased a Century Slingshot 1505 12’6” .  I have not received it yet. It’s rated 1 to 4.  I’ll be using an Avet SX G2 or Abu 6500 C3 CT mag on it.  Since you are familiar with Century Rods, do you think I can toss 1 oz lures effectively with it?  I normally throw 2.5 to 4 oz but was wanting to go a little lighter for Fluke in the summer.  Not sure how the rod handles the low end of the range.

12'6" rod for fluke. Times are changin. Just hold it straight out.

Freespool. You are now 6" past the fluke.

7 mins ago, Wildcard777 said:

Anyone heard of the Century Graphene?  Supposedly one of their lightest blanks designed for extreme distance and efficiency.  

12.5' foot rods were too cumbersome but I think these new thinner diameter rods make them viable for the surf.

yeah. we had them at the shows last year light and really nice. we had titanium guides on them,geared toward high end guys 900$ ..the S1 and S2 are thin and half the price

32 mins ago, Wildcard777 said:

I have 11 ft 1-5.... it is the best surf rod out there.... hefty penny though.... 545 just for the blank

Edited by Fishy4335

39 mins ago, paul708 said:

yeah. we had them at the shows last year light and really nice. we had titanium guides on them,geared toward high end guys 900$ ..the S1 and S2 are thin and half the price

According to Ryan, the s2 graphene is a bit thinner and a little more snappy at the tip while still holding moderate action and more durable since there is graphene in the blank.... correct?!

Edited by Fishy4335

58 mins ago, bugsbenny said:

Oh yea these days I mostly fish in jersey in the back water I use a 15 footer out front when its flat and calm maybe a 17 or 18 , cant wait till somebody makes a 20 footer cause the power cable in my driveway is hanging a bit low could use it to prop it up  it aint how big your rod is its how you rock the boat  you guys kill me

I actually have an18’ rod and it’s fun as heck to fish.  Abu Ultracast really cool

On 3/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, Fishy4335 said:

According to Ryan, the s2 graphene is a bit thinner and a little more snappy at the tip while still holding moderate action and more durable since there is graphene in the blank.... correct?!

On 3/13/2018 at 5:57 PM, Fishy4335 said:

Yes

they have a faster recovery,

still nice load bend, and fighting bend.