AIRFLO RIDGE STRIPER WF9 INTERMEDIATE CRYSTAL BLUE

Rate this topic

tomespo

I have been a Champion of this line since it came onto the market many years ago, even before they decided to give it Ridges. If you want a line that loads and casts extremely well, virtually never tangles and will last you 4 to 5 years if you fish it 200 days a year like I  do then I think I when I say "Buy It" I mean it.

If you are casting a 9 wt buy it in a 9 wt no need to upline. I use it in 8, 9 and 10.

Edited by bonefishdick

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

It's a good line for sure. Not as flashy as some of the new tapers for big flies or big wind, but it gets the job done well.

Not everyone likes the "ridge" texture but it is a durable line, and for me, less prone to tangling than other similar lines.

"The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly."

I have this line in both 8wts and 10wts.

i love it as well, large part because of the taper. 

This is is not a “big fly taper”, which is good for me, as I typically don’t like the casting characteristics of those lines.

with that said, it’s on the heavier side of the spectrum, so it has enough grains to cast large flies.

Definitely my favorite intermediate line as well- excellent product.  I'm an avid Airflo user across the board...some of their lines tend to be rather thick, but I like how they behave and the fact that they are PVC free...good longevity.

13 hours ago, Camren said:

I have this line in both 8wts and 10wts.

i love it as well, large part because of the taper. 

This is is not a “big fly taper”, which is good for me, as I typically don’t like the casting characteristics of those lines.

with that said, it’s on the heavier side of the spectrum, so it has enough grains to cast large flies.

It is a big fly taper in that it has an "overweighted",short head but it's taper is longer up front so it behaves/casts differently than an OBS or Titan.The longer front taper has a better presentation,less dumping than an OBS.

The line also has a thicker running line than others which makes it less likely to tangle.

RIO's new Quickshooter is similar to the airflo line in it's taper but has a thinner running line(risk more tangles but shoots farther) and built on a mono core, which I like.

Hi all,

that’s what I did to look nowhere else and bought that line ! As recommended i went with a 10 weight for my tcx #9. I just received it and after having rapidly looked at the end loop It seems different ( and less solid) than what I used to see on my other fly lines.

Are you guys connecting your backing and leader directly to it « loop to loop » ? Is this as solid as any other one ? 

Thanks a lot and rest assure up here in Quebec the weather is also pretty rough !!!

Poulin

Had my line so long I can’t recall now if it came with a factory loop or not.

If you don’t like it cut it off and fit a proper home made double catch braided loop as an alternative. Or if you are happy and good at it cut it off and make you own loop by welding or nail knot method.

It is a very good line.

Mike