Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
papa

Ready to give up!

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Can someone please tell me how to fish plugs in heavy surf. I fish the beaches of New Jersey but the surf is so rough I no sooner get the plug in the water it is washed back into the beach without me ever getting the chance to work the action. I fished 2 long hard days this past weekend in this stuff with obviously nothing but frustration. I am sure it is me not knowing what I am doing but I am so frustrated right now i AM ready to stick to some other sport or the boat. Thanks for listening. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

The surf has been especially rough this past week with Hurricane Erin being offshore. When it's "big" out front there is only so much you can do. What kind of lures were you using? Some lures "dig in" much better than others. I like to use Bombers but when it gets to rough and their "action" is hindered I will switch to a Gibbs swimmer. I believe a lot of guys here also use Gibbs Darters when it is really rippin'. Then again, you cant go wrong with a bucktail.

luke

Papa, when the water is big or rough, there's a whole new arsenal of lures and/or methods ya need to know. First, in rough water, standard fare like 6" bombers are pretty much useless. 1oz and 2oz Bottle Plugs are generally the best bet. Fish them with a teaser 40" above the plug. Also, Smilin' Bill bucktails, 1oz to 3oz, with a teaser above them can also be very good when it's rough. These lures won't get rolled up in the waves the way normal plastic plugs will. You can also fish 6" and 7" MegaBait plugs when it's rough, they dig in and don't roll up as easily.

Also, the lack of fish in our waters is likely adding to your frustration...if they ain't there, you can't catch them! frown.gif

TimS

Papa,

I had the same frustrations as you did on Saturday AM. I did go to various other options including 1 - 3 oz Smilin Bills... No luck there.

Sunday AM, the wind shifted west and I thought the conditions were absolutely perfect (so did our striped friends biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif ) I was able to fish 6 inch bombers between swells. The key was to time the cast so your plug landed between swells. All you had to do was keep the line tight and let the plug get knocked around in the currents.

JimK

Papa,

All good advice. On Saturday, I made an attempt to throw plugs, but gave up on it and went and picked up some clams. It was the right move as I got a couple of bass. On Sunday, it was more fishable but still tough but as Jim K said, you could make a good presentation in between the swells. Also, some beaches are a lot more fishable during rough water conditions mostly due to their depth or having a shelterd area due to jetties or other structure.

I load my bag according to anticipated conditions. If it's blowing pretty good from the east, I will usually bring bottle plugs, darters, wind cheaters, needle fish, and an assortment of jigs. I also have some sinking plugs that hold well in rough water. You can also resort to loading plugs like bombers and red fins with liquid or shot. I used to load some bombers with bunker oil, plug one of the holes with epoxy and the other with a small piece of sponge. I never found it all that effective.