Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Double_D

San Francisco Back In The Day

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I found this on Facebook, I guess in the 30's 40's and 50's the Greeks in SF were some good fishermen, their favorite beaches were Tail Gunners and Hairy Bears

29067097_10156264993974485_6543666418175442944_n.jpg

Was stationed at TI in early 60's hung Out around Van Ness & Pacific (Several Bars) great Liberty Port, then in early 70's Alameda, lived clear out in Vacaville but work hours were off peak Traffic time,Then Suisun, Cordelia was considered the Dump,fished upnear Truckee/Lodi great time then 

8 hours ago, Al Sears said:

Was stationed at TI in early 60's hung Out around Van Ness & Pacific (Several Bars) great Liberty Port, then in early 70's Alameda, lived clear out in Vacaville but work hours were off peak Traffic time,Then Suisun, Cordelia was considered the Dump,fished upnear Truckee/Lodi great time then 

The pier on TI facing SF back in the 60's good times!  I had family members stationed there I remember going with relatives on the pier and seeing stripers almost as big as me at the time all over the pier must have been a great time to be stationed on TI if you were a fisherman back then.

It was a great time indeed to be at TI, I was real busy chasing women and caught quite a few as I was driving a 55 Chev Convert , Canary yellow with white top all green interior,ladies like to cruise up to Lake Berryessa/or vist Napa / Sonoma, yes it was good times, GD near failed out of  Advanced Electronics school,hey what the hell some one has to be last in Class

On 3/11/2018 at 11:07 AM, Double_D said:

I found this on Facebook, I guess in the 30's 40's and 50's the Greeks in SF were some good fishermen, their favorite beaches were Tail Gunners and Hairy Bears

29067097_10156264993974485_6543666418175442944_n.jpg

Where is the young whipper snapper Moocks?

Wow that is a great picture we where also fishing the area back in the days! In fact the guy with the two stripers looks just like my dad :shock:

Cool Pics DD. Does anyone have any memory of lures or baits they remember from back then that no one uses these days? (example: on the east coast at the turn of the century before lobster became such a delicacy & expensive, lobster meat was a big striper bait for night fishing Cows, or engine spark plugs with trebles attached for Blue fish blitzes)

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:10 PM, Al Sears said:

It was a great time indeed to be at TI, I was real busy chasing women and caught quite a few as I was driving a 55 Chev Convert , Canary yellow with white top all green interior,ladies like to cruise up to Lake Berryessa/or vist Napa / Sonoma, yes it was good times, GD near failed out of  Advanced Electronics school,hey what the hell some one has to be last in Class

Hope you kept the car or at least have some pictures.  My dad had a hardtop back in the day.  Held on to his 65 Chevy with the TJ green interior but let the older one slip away. 

No dont have the Car ,you bet i wish i did have it, I was single and wild as hell so traded it for a Jaguar Coupe and got in trouble with it went to Pearl Harbor for few years and later on I had a Mint 56 inside and out , Made Chief in Navy and as a Chief I had to have a Pick Up, all Chiefs have pick up, so,One evening I traded the Dodge Dealer even up for a New 71 Dodge Pick Up, this was in El Cajon drove that Truck until got  orders back to Pearl Harbor 78 by then price of  choice cars had put then out of my range,how ever the memories are priceless

I have an old copy of Saltwater Sportsman magazine from the 1970s that had an article about fishing for striped bass off of the SF docks where the salmon charters

were berthed.  The premise of the article was that when the salmon fleet returned for the day they would clean the salmon and dump the guts, heads, etc into the water creating

a chum slick that the bass homed in on.  Bass fishermen would ask for the guts then drop them in around the docks and take some real cow bass.

Had to use real stout boat rods to land them.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:56 AM, DZ said:

I have an old copy of Saltwater Sportsman magazine from the 1970s that had an article about fishing for striped bass off of the SF docks where the salmon charters

were berthed.  The premise of the article was that when the salmon fleet returned for the day they would clean the salmon and dump the guts, heads, etc into the water creating

a chum slick that the bass homed in on.  Bass fishermen would ask for the guts then drop them in around the docks and take some real cow bass.

Had to use real stout boat rods to land them.

Every time I see these docks today I always wonder what pigs are lurking beneath that nobody’s targeting.   Thanks for sharing

My Avatar is of me and my Gramps, Bill Gregori (Italian by the way) around early 60's  just back from Sharps Park.

The lures of the time were Keel Squids, Hopkins and Mickey Mouse, (had to change the name cuz of Disney)