Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jollywan

Wachapreague

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Bring minnows everytime i been there the minnows they had were tiny. There is a good article in this months Rudow's Fishtalk magazine. If you can go on a weekday.  It can get crowded on weekends. 

Edited by oysterbreath

Wachapreague is a completely different ballgame than MD/DE/VA beaches. Little to no land based fishing there.  Flounder fishing by boat is the norm, or offshore trips. There is a tackle shop, but the name slips my mind.  Google it & give them a call & they'll point you in the right direction.  I know there are skiff rentals available if you choose to go that route. If not, its not too far to the VA side of Assateague to fish the surf. Perfect timing for that. Capt Steve's on Chincoteague can steer you in the right direction there.

Captain Zeds is the tackle shop right in Wachapreague, as long as it's still there.  I haven't been there in 8 years or so, but as stated, it's pretty much all boat fishing. I only went in the summer, so not sure what's around in April.  In June, there were plenty of flounder and croaker, and a few sharks and weakfish.

Definitely need to be in some sort of watercraft, or be willing to hike down a creek to the backbay.

Flounder should be around, but I'd be targeting black drum out back, but if you can get out front there will be some stripers passing by moving right to left :)

I have always wanted to go poke around there in a kayak.

Never have, but it looks to be a prime spot for it once the water and weather warm up.

Dena is right , back channels would be great to poke around in a Kayak. It's really set up for charter boat fishing for flounder and other fish. It's the flounder capitol of the eastern shore of V.A.. I go there a lot when i'm down that way, Fishing off a boat , but mostly eating in a restaurant eating fresh flounder. Open beaches for fishing are not there. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123

1 hour ago, dena said:

I have always wanted to go poke around there in a kayak.

Never have, but it looks to be a prime spot for it once the water and weather warm up.

Yeah same here. We usually head down that direction on rain days and grab lunch at the Island House which has always been really good (especially the crab bisque). One of these days we'll take the yaks down there and mess around for a day.

If it is thunderstorm season be extra careful, it is five miles to land from the beach......I would never do that myself but I am 67.........I did catch my first surf-caught drum there..............Thanks Capt Mac Simpson.

Saw earlier this year the Town Marina was up for auction and the other big Marina at end of town was closed.  Back in the 80's/90's and early 2000's Watchapreague was a mass of fisherman from April to September.  3 full service marinas with full slips.  Marina's and Channels were dredged and maintained.  Coast guard had a heavy presence in town and on Paramore.  Salisbury University had a marine biology program there with students in and out all summer.  Numerous tackle, ice, and bait shops.  More than one option to eat.  Well attended tournaments.  Carnival was packed in the summer.  Had to advance to get a room at the hotel, island house was always packed, and you were up at 4:00AM whether or not you wanted to be with the noise from an endless flow of trucks pulling boats to the ramps.

The "flounder capital of the world" seemed a legit moniker for the town back them.  Now it seems a decade of decline.  The fish are still there - but for certain it is not the same.  Not sure what happened - maybe the offshore fishing just dropped off.  Maybe the charter fleet got tired of finding bottom at a lowtide 5 mile run to the inlet and moved to OC.  The houses are now all but gone on cedar and it does seem the whole inlet area is a lot smaller than it used to be.  Maybe cultural as well where dad's just aren't taking their kids fishing on the weekends due to sports and other things.  Last I was there the marina's were roughly maintained, Bait and tackle was available but sparse, and seemed a heck of a lot "quieter" than what I remembered.  

Planning to drag the boat down myself this spring and see it again first hand.  I thought we had a couple SOL regulars with places in town - maybe they will pipe in.

BOH,

The only house left on Cedar is the old CG station on the north end. Been like that for about 4 years now. And the inlet is actually really wide. Although I'm not sure how much of that is safe navigable waters? especially the waters between Cedar and Dawson's shoal? The south end of Cedar has changed so rapidly in recent years. The entire land mass that was the houses is under water. It's fascinating to see one part of an island change so drastically so fast, while another part hardly changes in just as many years.

As to the OP, like the others said, unless you have a boat, you aren't doing much fishing. Flounder fishing is good and there is plenty of room to spread out . A few good black drum spots around the inlets too. If you plan to anchor up on the island to surf fish, just be careful anchoring in the current around the inlets and choose your spot wisely. Just be prepared to stay longer than you may have anticipated if you're not back to adjust the boat position soon enough during a falling tide.

Edited by castnet

9 hours ago, castnet said:

BOH,

The only house left on Cedar is the old CG station on the north end. Been like that for about 4 years now. And the inlet is actually really wide. Although I'm not sure how much of that is safe navigable waters? especially the waters between Cedar and Dawson's shoal? The south end of Cedar has changed so rapidly in recent years. The entire land mass that was the houses is under water. It's fascinating to see one part of an island change so drastically so fast, while another part hardly changes in just as many years.

As to the OP, like the others said, unless you have a boat, you aren't doing much fishing. Flounder fishing is good and there is plenty of room to spread out . A few good black drum spots around the inlets too. If you plan to anchor up on the island to surf fish, just be careful anchoring in the current around the inlets and choose your spot wisely. Just be prepared to stay longer than you may have anticipated if you're not back to adjust the boat position soon enough during a falling tide.

Exactlly .  have a home in Ocean view Community  . As an owner I am also part owner, with the rest of the community , of the North end of Cedar ,Basically North of the old  CG Station Which is privately owned by a couple of guys that host parties and events there now on occasion . I access Cedar via Folley Creek . If you are not in a flat bottom skiff, it can be tough at low tide . Kayaks are the ticket IMO . The Flounder bite is phenomenal from late April through September Most years .

Surf fishing Cedar can be a bit tricky but is definitely doable . Problem for most is going to be intel gathering, finding holes,structure etc when you aren't there very often . As once you step on the island there is some serious walking to do . Not for the faint of heart to say the least .  

6 hours ago, HalfNelson said:

have a home in Ocean view Community  . As an owner I am also part owner, with the rest of the community , of the North end of Cedar ,Basically North of the old  CG Station

Ocean View as in the one off Metompkin Rd down by Parksley?

On 3/15/2018 at 2:08 PM, castnet said:

Ocean View as in the one off Metompkin Rd down by Parksley?

Accomac . Custis Neck road to The gated community.