DooPA77

Which line to use on a Daiwa BG5000?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I just purchased my first surfcasting reel and rod. I got the BG5000/1002MH Combo with the 10 foot Rod: http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/pmc/bg_spinning_combos/index.html

What line should I use with this? I will be targeting primarily stripers on both the North and South shores of Long Island. I expect to mostly be on sandy beaches, a few jetties, and some backwater areas.

I'm torn between mono and braid. A little nervous about my finger getting cut off with braid. I like the idea of mono being more newb friendly. I've never tied a fishing knot in my life. But most people seem to be pointing me towards braid. I like the price point on the Daiwa J-Braid.

What lb. test is good for what I'm going for? Does color of the line matter? Do I have to go with the specific lengths and tests outlined out the rod/reel product page? (copied below) Any brand or specific product recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

From Daiwa product page:
Reel Line Capacity (Lb. Test/Yards)
Mono: 14/470, 17/380, 20/280
J-BRAID: 40/480, 50/360, 65/310

24 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

I put 30 pound Power Pro on the one I bought last fall.

did you fill it with braid? it takes 480yrds. of 40#, or did you use backing and 30#braid

I think most beginners should begin with mono. I am going to try and go back to mono also. Braid is costly Braid is costly. Many experts use mono. Why don’t start out mono. Then go to braid and see what you think. I believe 14 lb mojo would be good for plugs and no more than 20 lb. maybe even go lighter like 12 lb mono if it’s a calm day and fish are around but maybe line shy. 

Edited by jeffapeikin

Braid is the way to go, it casts better, strong around rocks, if mono, I wouldn't go less than 17lb. Cajun Red. That line is castable and Very strong also versatile for a lot of plugs. I'd still go 40# braid PP

If its going to be used off the beach with bait I would go with 17 lb monofiliment.  I would check out if a BG 4500 spool fits your 5000, if it does get one because you don't need 380 yds of mono.  For plugging,  braid probably 20 or 30 lb should do it, also a 4500 spool.

Others have given great advice. If plugging, braid is easier to cast and will help you detect bites easier. Try to stay  within the reels suggested line limits. I got in over my head with this one. 

Good luck, 

jeff

Its pretty much impossible to have one setup for all applications. I have one setup for backbay, one for sandy beaches and one for jetties/ inlets.

To get the most out of your recent purchase. I would suggest 300 yards of 40lb. Power pro. Have it done at a local shop by machine with 20lb mono  backing. Use a 50lb. 3ft mono leader for sandy beaches. And 60lb. 4ft leader for jetty/inlets. I like jbraid for sandy beaches, but not for inlet/jetty fishing. Its thinner than power pro and I found breaks easier. 

This setup imo will not work in backbay fishing. You could get away with a 7-8ft rod with 20lb braid and a 3ft. 30lb mono leader. As you are throwing much lighter lures and plastics.

Look into TA clips for changing lures, 125lb. Jetty/inlet, 75lb. Sandy beach, and 50lb. Backbay.

Good luck and tight lines..

Probably best to start out with mono for your first season then move up to braid next year.  That's what I did. It helped me transition from fresh to saltwater fishing as well as get to know my gear better.

I wear gloves when fishing with braid, for a better grip, protection against sunburn during the day and protection against mosquitoes at night and I feel more comfortable around braid with them too. I wear deck gloves, I think by Gill. They cost about $8 but comfortable garden gloves can work well too. Just bring a couple because they can get uncomfortable when wet, lol.

Edited by TroutGhost