GLOW IN THE DARK JITTERBUG

dannyplug1

Back when I fished Lake Ontario at night for brown trout they would readily hit glow in the dark spoons - Kastmasters and Little Cleos.

The guys would recharge the glow spoons every 10 minutes or so with portable camera flash devices inside their jackets.  This was one of the only times I saw glowing

offerings make a big difference in freshwater.

Def caught fish on a tsunami plug off jetties that was glow.  Keeper stripers that wouldn’t bite anything else in murky, post storm water, you do have to keep charging it with led light source (headlamp/flashbulb).  I’d skip it for top water on a bait that so specifically attracts with sound like a jitterbug though, all black for that situation, I want that bass to think hes anuxk up on something natural and subtle in that case.

also I don’t know if any degree of freshwater bioluminescence, but it’s pretty common in salt

I make most of my lures, so I can play around a little bit. I don't know if a glow in the dark topwater will make a difference. It should by giving the fish a better target. But what I am going to try out this year is not glow, but this UV blast stuff.

Works by storing light somehow. I'm not fully sure how it works, but it helps keep the natural color of lures when there is no light.

I have made a lot of senko type baits in all different colors. I use the old color spectrum we learned in 9th grade science

ROYGBIV.. thats the order that color wavelength disappears. Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet

Yet I use red in 50ft of water effectlively in some areas, and in some areas my purple lures work in 6 ft of water.

Ill keep y'all updated as the season goes on with results of the UV and the glow.

I swap out hollow body frog legs with glow in the dark fly tying stuff.

I found zero difference...if anything i think the pickeral take more shots at the glow in the dark frogs.  

Sound, surface disturbance, trackable is more important to me.

I mention frogs because I stopped throwing jitterbugs..(i used to throw them a ton...even upgraded the hardware with screw eyes instead of the hangars and long shank hooks.  UPgraded the skirts etc.   I found the side to side really doesn't make a difference vs a popping frog, or standard.  And the teckel sprinker is a game changer.   Plus river2sea had the step wa which is a weedless jitterbug

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

On 3/12/2018 at 9:56 AM, DZ said:

My best producing jitterbug pattern for night fishing was always solid black.  Skip the glow.

Big and black. Thats' how the bass round here like it. A few of the women too...but we stay clear of them. 

An old Canada bass fisherman I knew made his own "Jit-bug" sort.  He hammered the typical bow-tie wobbler out of pieces of textured scrap aluminum for night fishing!  Body @ 5" cut out of broom stick or similar diameter scrap, added hefty mid body and tail treble. Mostly in either dull black or dull blood red. 

He used to bring in some big bass.  About the time he discovered the "pike size" jitterbug was available he had to quit - got lost too many times in the front bay.  But then at 84 and still pulling the string on his Merc. 7.5...

If I am in Canada gunning for bass at night I run the same colors, and I am partial to large wobbler spoons or plugs. .  May have to give them a try in the salt.

But florescent or UV spoons - one 1 side - in murky water is an interesting thought - maybe in a large wiggler or a crocodile.