wasy

Modified V

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

I see so many posts about claims that the Parker se models with modified V hulls pound you to death but I have yet to see a post claiming that a Jones Brothers with modified V pounds? It’s my understanding that these two hulls are virtually identical in fact I’ve heard that Jones Bros actually uses older Parker molds for their hulls.

is the pounding claim over stated regarding modified v hulls or is it more to to with the operator running the boat far to hard for the conditions?

My 2320 is a deep V and she pounds at 13 MPH or more. I would think mod V would be worst. Every boat has good & bad. Parker boats are very seaworthy. Great in following sea. I been out 60 miles many times and seas 6 ft.  The bow never even got wet.  In a head sea you just need to keep the speed under 13 knots. If you yours your trim tabs and put bow down you will have a smooth ride. When you have seas over 3 or 4 ft close together any boat going to pound.  

Simply put, pounding is a function of seas, speed, and deadrise - you can go faster in heavier seas with a steep deadrise.

I'm betting the Jones Bros is pretty close to the Parker with the same bottom.

It's all a trade off.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used a Parker modified V for several years as a towing/response vessel. Hated it. Haaated it. A one foot chop was enough to rattle your bones, and it handled like ass on account of the single I/O. Thank God we replaced it a few years back. 

Edited by Seadogg

8 hours ago, Marty said:

My 2320 is a deep V and she pounds at 13 MPH or more. I would think mod V would be worst. Every boat has good & bad. Parker boats are very seaworthy. Great in following sea. I been out 60 miles many times and seas 6 ft.  The bow never even got wet.  In a head sea you just need to keep the speed under 13 knots. If you yours your trim tabs and put bow down you will have a smooth ride. When you have seas over 3 or 4 ft close together any boat going to pound.  

Not any boat ! lol regulator 26 is not “ “ “ain’t” pounding in 3-4 ... 

i think the fact that in a Parker you are sitting at the helm  further forward then a center console . Not goin to be as smooth a ride as if you were a little further aft. 

For a 25 foot pilot I hear nothing but excellent things about the Miami 26 . 

It comes down to this. If you need stability and driftability and you will be drifting and needing these things more then 1/2 the time you are on the water despite the conditions then a mod hull may be what you need. You will have to deal with the pounding for the other 49% if the time. 

If you tend to fish big water and need speed and comfort over drift stability well .. you need a deep v ! 

Or yoh can give up speed all together buy a Downeaster and enjoy the trip ! ;)

And over the last 10 years I have operated an easy dozen boats. Except a Parker. But yes I have heard the mod hull will pound. Deep v is better but not that much. The regulator 26 was the best ride and my henriques Maine coaster. But that’s another ball game. The Grady 306 handles nice can take a big sea but doesn’t cut like the regulator. My partners mako 232 is a sweet riding 23 and can handle some big stuff. All these boats have negatives and positives. Reg had a bit of a roll at drift. The Grady was stable at drift but was like a bathtub. The henriques is great but in a big following you need to be at the Wheel (we are talking it can handle weather then most anglers would stay home in ) 

Had a Angler 204 Fx was a nice rig and handled well could pound if it was 1/4 front the front. ... buying a boat has to do more with what you plan on doing with it then what people say about them. 

10 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Not any boat ! lol regulator 26 is not “ “ “ain’t” pounding in 3-4 ... 

i think the fact that in a Parker you are sitting at the helm  further forward then a center console . Not goin to be as smooth a ride as if you were a little further aft. 

For a 25 foot pilot I hear nothing but excellent things about the Miami 26 . 

It comes down to this. If you need stability and driftability and you will be drifting and needing these things more then 1/2 the time you are on the water despite the conditions then a mod hull may be what you need. You will have to deal with the pounding for the other 49% if the time. 

If you tend to fish big water and need speed and comfort over drift stability well .. you need a deep v ! 

Or yoh can give up speed all together buy a Downeaster and enjoy the trip ! ;)

Regulator are made to cut through the seas.  Very good boat but are a lot of money. Down Easter boat are the best but to slow. I want a cabin now that I’m 63. I fish in cold weather. I had a heater in the cabin. When your young you want a CC boat - go fast. CC boat are get for fishing. 

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Regulator are made to cut through the seas.  Very good boat but are a lot of money. Down Easter boat are the best but to slow. I want a cabin now that I’m 63. I fish in cold weather. I had a heater in the cabin. When your young you want a CC boat - go fast. CC boat are get for fishing. 

Steiger craft 26 kills the parkers, I owned a Parker 2520 deep V and the Steiger a different animal. Trim tabs help a little but still pounds. Modified V is an extreme pounder. Take a ride on one before you buy. 

The Jones bros are a little more narrow which helps with the ride supposedly.  I have parker 21se and a 25se.  They're never going to ride as well as an equivelent deep V but they fish really well if you're fishing fly or light tackle.  Also burns much less fuel.

13 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

And over the last 10 years I have operated an easy dozen boats. Except a Parker. But yes I have heard the mod hull will pound. Deep v is better but not that much. The regulator 26 was the best ride and my henriques Maine coaster. But that’s another ball game. The Grady 306 handles nice can take a big sea but doesn’t cut like the regulator. My partners mako 232 is a sweet riding 23 and can handle some big stuff. All these boats have negatives and positives. Reg had a bit of a roll at drift. The Grady was stable at drift but was like a bathtub. The henriques is great but in a big following you need to be at the Wheel (we are talking it can handle weather then most anglers would stay home in ) 

Had a Angler 204 Fx was a nice rig and handled well could pound if it was 1/4 front the front. ... buying a boat has to do more with what you plan on doing with it then what people say about them. 

My buddy ordered one new 36 henriques Maine coaster.  We drove down south to bring her up and when we were going around New Jersey- manhattan waters we hit a following sea. It was so bad boat turn sideways and water came in the sides. Great boat for head seas but not that great for following sea.  Like I said. Bad & good with every boat.  Like someone said. Downeaster hull is the best but your not going to go fast. I replaced the trim tabs on my parker to 24x24 size. You can get the bow down but you also have to know what your doing. You don’t want to be going into heavy seas through the inlet with bow down all the way. I been on many boats and for the money. Parker 2320 deep V is all around good. I paid new 2005 with all electronics-radar- loaded W/ trailer $59,000 I would also get the full swim plate form.  

57959587-5680-45F0-98A0-C9C9BEABBEE8.jpeg

On 3/7/2018 at 11:30 AM, wasy said:

I see so many posts about claims that the Parker se models with modified V hulls pound you to death but I have yet to see a post claiming that a Jones Brothers with modified V pounds? It’s my understanding that these two hulls are virtually identical in fact I’ve heard that Jones Bros actually uses older Parker molds for their hulls.

is the pounding claim over stated regarding modified v hulls or is it more to to with the operator running the boat far to hard for the conditions?

You have to think what are you using boat for ?  Bay fishing. Get mod V.  They don’t rock side to side. Ocean fishing Deep V.  With ocean fishing no smaller they 25 ft. Yes, guys are going to say - I go out with my 21 ft boat. Ha ha. Get into nasty seas and you will take  up golf if you make it home. 

Edited by Marty

I have spent some time fishing on 23' modified V Parker and its a great boat on anchor or drifting.  It does pound a lot and you definitely feel most of it being so far forward because of the pilot house.  These boats will pound in very little chop even with trim tabs unless you slow way down.

I own a 26 DV Miami but it would be unfair to compare it to the parker as it weights 2.5x as much.  I do roll more in the water when stopped even with a wider 10' beam

Overall I am very impressed with the Miami, the only thing it struggles with is short period swells.

Some good info here so thanks.

im looking to be able to get out in the ocean more often to fish but all inshore fishing, basically no more than 3-5 miles out, offshore isn’t in my plans. That being said I’m not planning to go out front when it’s 3-5 so I’m definitely a bit of a fair weather boat fisherman.

Im also looking to be 23-24’ and I’ve had deep v in the past but 19-20’, Im okay with the rolling at drift and just trying to wrap my head around the modified v’s

5 hours ago, wasy said:

Some good info here so thanks.

im looking to be able to get out in the ocean more often to fish but all inshore fishing, basically no more than 3-5 miles out, offshore isn’t in my plans. That being said I’m not planning to go out front when it’s 3-5 so I’m definitely a bit of a fair weather boat fisherman.

Im also looking to be 23-24’ and I’ve had deep v in the past but 19-20’, Im okay with the rolling at drift and just trying to wrap my head around the modified v’s

Everyone has different uses for a boat, that's why they make them in many different configurations!

If I was a commercial clammer driving 5 miles to clam in the bay every day I would have a 10 degree deadrise to roll less while working.

If I was an offshore fisherman who just liked to troll around all day I would be in a 24 or 25 degree deadrise. 

19-22 is an overall good compromise but ignore what it says on paper because each manufacturer measures them a different way depending on how they want to market them.  Look at the bottom and use some common sense.  Remember the heavier boats will normally ride better but come at a cost (more gas burn and less top speed usually).

The best thing you can do is go on some test drives and sea trial before you buy (in nasty weather obviously).

1 hour ago, J Barbosa said:

(in nasty weather obviously).

That actually is the most difficult part, I’ve been on the modified v and learned nothing because it was basically perfect conditions 

Edited by wasy