Sandbar1

Ticks

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

IIRC,  there was a thread on tick eating birds last year. Guinea fowl were prominently featured. However i guess they are loud as hell. :eek:

Yes, they are the best watch dogs for alerting and sounding off when unusual intruders of humans or animals come into their territory.

If noise becomes too much of a nuisance, some say their meat is a delicacy and is similar to pheasant in taste and texture.    

There are hatchery's that raise and sell guinea fowl.  Prices are +/- $4 and the birds are available in 7-8 colors.  

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

In a way they have evolved into the perfect being. Blow them up to our size and homo sapiens would be toast. :mad:

Ideal Thunder Dome contestants.

Two enter, one leaves.    :scared:

We hired a company that sprays "botanical extracts and oils every few weeks" out of backpack sprayers.  It actually smells like peppermint and has done an amazing job on not only ticks but mosquitos as well.  We looked at using a permethrin based product but decided against that as I have well water, a toddler and a pregnant wife.  After our dog passed last winter we haven't found a single tick inside and although the time isn't right for us to get a new dog the association between dogs and ticks is impossible to ignore.  unfortunately having friends and family memebers whose young children have been affected by lyme I don't think a dog is something is we are going to rush back into.  really sucks, as a dog is something we all really want.

1 hour ago, sagamoron said:

We hired a company that sprays "botanical extracts and oils every few weeks" out of backpack sprayers.  It actually smells like peppermint and has done an amazing job on not only ticks but mosquitos as well.  We looked at using a permethrin based product but decided against that as I have well water, a toddler and a pregnant wife.  After our dog passed last winter we haven't found a single tick inside and although the time isn't right for us to get a new dog the association between dogs and ticks is impossible to ignore.  unfortunately having friends and family memebers whose young children have been affected by lyme I don't think a dog is something is we are going to rush back into.  really sucks, as a dog is something we all really want.

I don't know if anyone has numbers on it, but my observations is that many children are infected inside the home.

One guy I know is a Forrester always in the woods. His kid was like two when he got sick. The assumption is the tick came in on the father.

Even when I cover in Deet I often find crawlers in my car after a trip. I usually leave outer layers on the porch to keep hitchhikers out.

I can't imagine how many come in on dogs. Even treated dogs will have them on outer layers of their coat, especially long hair breeds. Then drop off inside the home and go looking for fresh blood. 

I found a disoriented wood tick on my bathroom window sill last night... I have been golfing earlier in the day, I am wondering if it same in on me and walked it’s way up there?

seemed to be in a strange place... I thought of this thread when I saw the little prick

36 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I don't know if anyone has numbers on it, but my observations is that many children are infected inside the home.

One guy I know is a Forrester always in the woods. His kid was like two when he got sick. The assumption is the tick came in on the father.

Even when I cover in Deet I often find crawlers in my car after a trip. I usually leave outer layers on the porch to keep hitchhikers out.

I can't imagine how many come in on dogs. Even treated dogs will have them on outer layers of their coat, especially long hair breeds. Then drop off inside the home and go looking for fresh blood. 

I agree 100% we found a tick on my son when he was under a year old and it definitely came off our dog.  unfortunately, we tried a lot of different repellents on the dog and none seemed to work.

They are bad here this year. I've got a few bite marks from all the yard work i've done, damn things take weeks to heal. I use a good amount of bug spray too, but doesn't seem to make a difference. They like to hide in your clothes and treat you like a source of transportation to get from one place to another, same thing they do to animals. Once they get in your house it's kind of amazing how fast they can move around as small as they are. 

There is some good info available from Larry Dapsis, head tick guru of Mass tick project. I have sprayed my yard this year according to his advice and zero ticks so far for me or dogs. Spray and pray seems to work ok for your yard. I used Talstar P.