CotroneOnIce

suggested kayak reel

22 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I recently received a tusnami trophy casting rod that I plan on using for jigging fluke, scup, seabass, and tog. I mainly boat fish but would like a reel that would be okay for using in the yack as well. My first choice was the quantum accurist bait caster, but it isn't rated for salt water which is concerning. As of now I mainly use spinners out of my yack. Any suggestions are appreciated! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Skinner uses the accurist .. the reel will last if you take care of it after each use.. it also only $99..

On the nicer end of things is that Daiwa Costal and the Abu Garcia Revo Inshore. I've owned both and the Abu was the only one I kept around.. great reel. Easy maintinence. I've beaten mine up pretty good on the yak and its still in perfect condition. It's a great light reel for finesse fluking but I have put it on much larger fish (30lb bass and 20lb blues) without an issue. 20170912_151156.thumb.jpg.0884919dc141fda884d07ae8fe7a8444.jpg20171205_213531.thumb.jpg.f2dbcdcf4907b1c69e64e677062d1e62.jpg

Edited by Beachglass Guru

I stick to inexpensive reels in the yak

Back when i first signed up here (16 years ago :eek:) a guy was asking people to keep an eye out for a $1000 fly setup he had lost overboard behind Sandy Hook

That was a lesson I took to heart

Besides, you don't need a great drag on a yak as the yak itself is part of the drag system

I use a spinning setup with a Shimano 3500 Baitrunner  as it gives me a lot of different options with the same rig.

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

I use a spinning setup with a Shimano 3500 Baitrunner  as it gives me a lot of different options with the same rig.

I'm with you on this for the versatility, but I think we're in the minority. I have been favoring an SSV4500LL, it's a fair bit lighter than the 3500. But I do see the appeal of these push-button baitcasters where you can just let out scope with your thumb when fluking.

5 hours ago, gellfex said:

I have been favoring an SSV4500LL,

My other yak spinner, for larger bass and blues, is a 450SS

I usually have one of each out with me mainly because baitcaster reels are very versatile as well. You can do so much with them.

But there's no replacing a spinning combo on the yak. last season I used a quantum cabo 40. This season I upgraded to that VR50. Small and fully sealed, seemed like it was made for kayak fishing. 

6 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

I usually have one of each out with me mainly because baitcaster reels are very versatile as well. You can do so much with them.

But there's no replacing a spinning combo on the yak. last season I used a quantum cabo 40. This season I upgraded to that VR50. Small and fully sealed, seemed like it was made for kayak fishing. 

just dont drop it in 50' of water. My other two rods I bring are a battle 2 4000 and a fathom star drag 30lb and 40lb respectively. I was looking to swap the fathom with the bait caster with 15lb braid so I can get away with lighter jigs, although I do love the fathom.  

My buddy has accurist for fluke and sea bass, works great but power handle is almost a must. 

We fished in up to 120 fow with no issues. I went with a 50 dollar black max baitcaster with a 7 foot tsunami acid rod just to try it out and it worked great as well. Just keep them clean and salt free. 

This season im gonna try out a penn warfare.

Just ordered one of these Accurist reels yesterday.  This is my first baitcaster reel.  I ordered the powerhandle option for it as well.  My plan is to use this for winter flounder up here in the Boston area ... I like the one thumb feature that lets you let out line, should come in handy when drifting into deeper areas.   If I like it I may decide to use it for jigging for strippers as well.  Plan to load it up with 30lb PP.   I look forward to trying it soon.