JaseB

Generator question

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Going into day 5 with no power.  No forseeable end in sight.  Snapped poles and downed lines everywhere.

Have a Troybuilt 7500/10000 watt genny connected to the house that runs the well, water heater, freezer, fridge, tv, internet and about 1/3 the lights.  Not bad.

Directions say do not start or shut down under load.  Makes sense.  But how bad is it if it runs out of gasoline while under load?  Like if I didn't feel like getting dressed and heading out in the 20 degree dark?

7 mins ago, JaseB said:

Directions say do not start or shut down under load.  Makes sense.  

What part didnt you get?

1 hour ago, JaseB said:

.  But how bad is it if it runs out of gasoline while under load?

Not a good thing to do.

Really screws with the load power supplies.

1 hour ago, hwsmike said:

What part didnt you get?

Yeah, yeah.  Figured as much, just hoping to not get out of bed and go phuk with gas cans in the dark.

29 mins ago, HardyG said:

Now is the time to do a full oil change on the generator. It would be prudent to also pick up extra oil, Seafoam and Stabil.

Did that Sunday.

8 mins ago, woowoo2 said:

Not a good thing to do.

Thanks.  Couldn't get it off my mine so I gassed and then went and moved a truckload of woof from the pile down the driveway to under the porch.  Only heat source at this point.

It’s a little late now , but after you get straight Nd out, check into converting it to propane and have you a hundred gallon tank installed :th: 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

It’s a little late now , but after you get straight Nd out, check into converting it to propane and have you a hundred gallon tank installed :th: 

I've got a 1k tank buried in the yard.  Opposite side of the house from the electrical box.  All the richfolk have whole house gennys powered by propane.  Wasn't in the budget.

Edited by JaseB

Jase, as a one or couple time issue it’s  not a problem if the generator runs out while under load. Used to happen to us all the time on job sites. 

Its best to catch it obviously prior to, but it happens to us all. 

Starting the gen under heavy load is a different animal. The generator will choke and shut off. 

5 mins ago, JaseB said:

I've got a 1k tank buried in the yard.  The propane options were pretty damn pricy compared to the gas.  All the richfolk have whole house gennys powered by propane.  Wasn't in the budget.

Make more money slacker

Get a big boat tank and hook to it if it’s going to be a while before you get power :th: 

we always just turned the gen off at night , and used an led lantern for lite.

Unless you were running items with sensitive power requirements, I seriously doubt you'll do any damage to the electrical items or the genny. Disconnect everything before re starting the genny though. Once it's up and running to speed, it can handle the surge. 

36 mins ago, woowoo2 said:

Not a good thing to do.

How, can you explain? There is no extra load on the circuits when it shuts off. Startup is when it surges, and that is only with appliances that have electrical motors.