Natural Gas: Cost vs Return?

Rate this topic

passiton

Got my first NG bill.  We paid for 3 days shy of a full month and it was $150.  That's heat, hot water, and a gas range I put in.   I was paying that for propane in my old house for just the stove and hot water.  I'm a happy guy.  :)

Next step is a programmable thermostat for both the upstairs and downstairs zones. 

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

Anything is cheaper than LP. Natural gas is up over 49% year to date today. I paid 2.88.9/gal. for #2 last week. What I can't understand is gasoline is now low, $2.57 at two places down the street, but fuel oil is still up and climbing.

Edited by cheech

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

On 12/11/2018 at 9:54 PM, passiton said:

Got my first NG bill.  We paid for 3 days shy of a full month and it was $150.  That's heat, hot water, and a gas range I put in.   I was paying that for propane in my old house for just the stove and hot water.  I'm a happy guy.  :)

Next step is a programmable thermostat for both the upstairs and downstairs zones. 

Consider an outside temp sensor. That's where you will have big savings over the long haul and it doesn't cost a lot to do it. All depends on what controls you currently have on your current boiler. We have a lot of those upper 30 degree and 40 degree days where you don't need 180 degree water to heat your home.

Outside Air Reset For Boilers

If your facility is heated by a hot water boiler, you can save money and improve comfort by installing an outside air reset control. The controls are relatively inexpensive to install and typically pay for themselves in one year.

How It Works

Your hot water boiler is designed to provide water to radiators or hot water coils at a constant temperature, usually 180°. The gas burner cycles on and off to maintain this temperature. A temperature sensor turns on the gas burner when the water temperature falls below a low limit, usually 170°. During cold weather, this type of water temperature control works well. However, during mild weather this high water temperature may overheat the space, causing discomfort to occupants and wasting energy dollars.

Outside air reset control reduces the maximum boiler water temperature depending on the outside air temperature. For instance, if the outside air temperature is 0°, the hot water will need to be 180°. However, if the outside air temperature is 40°, the hot water will need to be only 130°. The controls should also be set to shut off the heating system when the outside air reaches a preset temperature, usually 65°. Caution: This may not apply if you have special hot water uses, such as a dishwasher, etc. on the system. In such a case, the temperature should not be reset below the temperature requirements of this equipment.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:57 AM, cheech said:

Anything is cheaper than LP. Natural gas is up over 49% year to date today. I paid 2.88.9/gal. for #2 last week. What I can't understand is gasoline is now low, $2.57 at two places down the street, but fuel oil is still up and climbing.

Whatever the market will bear, and they set the market!

• 1 month later...