Natural Gas: Cost vs Return?

Rate this topic

passiton

It's worth the gas if you are running forced hot water heat and domestic water from a combi unit. As long as the house can be heated with a 200,000 BTU output. Just for a stove isn't worth it. Then you licensed person to remove the oil tank. Talk to your local gas utility and see what incentives there are for converting to natural gas.

Congrats on the house passiton!  Would also love to hear more details on the conversion, as I'm in a similar spot with a vacation property on LI.  It's oil now, but I've had a few letters from the gas company regarding conversion.  I had a brief conversation with a customer service agent, but it seemed like they were there more to take some info from me and get back to me (which, they never did).

From what little I did learn, there was a fee to run gas from the street to a new meter in the house, but that it was offset based on the number of gas appliances that I would be installing.  In my case, since that only means boiler and stove, not sure what that did to the cost.  Also not sure whether the boiler, which is about 15 years old, can be converted to natural gas or if I'm in for a new one.

Really want to get into gear with both nat gas and solar on this place, because having to schedule oil deliveries and remotely monitor tank levels is a PITA, and given the fact that it's sitting there unoccupied 8 months out of the year the solar seems like a no brainer.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

Gas dryer is a great appliance too. Much faster and cheaper than electric. When running pipe in house ,try to get them to use more tee's than elbows.

If you have to add a line for a fireplace BBQ or something else it beats having to take lines apart.

The ROI for converting  from propane to LNG is half a winter. But, from oil equipment to LNG  is a bit longer, but shockingly fast.

All companies will run lines the the first 100-150 feet for free. 

Or several hundred in my case. 

• 7 months later...

Update:

natural gas line gas was installed with a meter a few months ago.  Tomorrow my guy finishes the install for a NG burner for my boiler and the new kitchen stove gets put in Friday.   I dumped my last 5 gallon can of diesel into the tank this morning. :)

The line was free, the plumbing from the meter to the boiler/kitchen and the install/purchase of the new burner ran a little under 4K. 

Edited by passiton

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

On 11/7/2018 at 5:16 PM, John Bumstead said:

If you are in a seashore town and have natural gas, in the event of possible flooding, the gas company will turn off delivery. Our town just installed a generator for the town hall and even though natural gas is available, they opted for propane. John

Yep that's the only problem with NG, if they have to shut it off your screwed. That's why hospitals use propane or diesel generators.

Charter Member Ancient Mariners

Charter Member of CT Buoy

Member of Striper 50/50 Club

I know you have just gone through several cashectomies, however.....

There is another advantage to natural gas over oil, that being that you can have a standby generator installed that will run on natural gas. With that setup, hurricanes, ice storms, thunderstorms etc are a minor inconvenience. A lot of people had gasoline generators and were forked during the Sandy debacle because there was no gasoline available. Gas stations are now allowed to have generators on site so that they can pump gas but that's a side issue. A hard-wired standby generator self-tests once a month, auto starts when it senses that there is a power outage, turns itself off when the power goes back on etc.

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

12 mins ago, HardyG said:

I know you have just gone through several cashectomies, however.....

There is another advantage to natural gas over oil, that being that you can have a standby generator installed that will run on natural gas. With that setup, hurricanes, ice storms, thunderstorms etc are a minor inconvenience. A lot of people had gasoline generators and were forked during the Sandy debacle because there was no gasoline available. Gas stations are now allowed to have generators on site so that they can pump gas but that's a side issue. A hard-wired standby generator self-tests once a month, auto starts when it senses that there is a power outage, turns itself off when the power goes back on etc.

I have a standby generator that runs on NG, a lot of areas that where hit hard by Sandy had there NG shut off so a NG generator would be usless. Like I said, that's why hospitals use propane or diesel generators.

Charter Member Ancient Mariners

Charter Member of CT Buoy

Member of Striper 50/50 Club