Natural Gas: Cost vs Return?

Rate this topic

passiton

****ers countered my offer by coming down 5k and pitting us against another couple who was looking at the house (we are sure they rushed them to present an offer).  We're coming up significantly, but know our top limit and won't go beyond that.  

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

It's a really tough market to buy unless you have cash and no contingencies. Not a lot of stock out there which is driving up prices.  Unless the home has been sitting for weeks/months on the market you're forced to offer at least asking price.  Makes it tough to buy something at asking price knowing you'll be sinking 15 grand to run natural gas lines and replace fixtures.

I’m in a good position in some ways. If we stay modest in our home choices we can buy with no contigencies.   We’d carry both houses briefly, allowing us to move our possessions and then clean, paint, and make minor repairs that will allow our little house to show more favorably.   We can therefore move quickly and have been offering a 45 day closing. 

NOBODY here has a pass to blow out someone else's candle in order to make theirs shine brighter. TLDig[

59 mins ago, passiton said:

I’m in a good position in some ways. If we stay modest in our home choices we can buy with no contigencies.   

Its a difficult market in some locations due to higher demand and lack of stock driving the prices up.  Makes it difficult to close on something while you don't have the funds from the sale of another.  If you can be in a position to own two properties then that is the ideal situation.

We were trying to do the same. I dont want to drag anyone along with a contingency. I made offer on 2 houses and I can honestly say both times I wanted up wanting to punch someone in the face. I told my wife I'm done. This stress is not worth it. People are acting like morons. It's a game that I don't want to play, and I'm fine with having to offer full price. 

We’ll find out Monday or Tuesday if our offer was accepted.   We have 1/2 a dozen other places picked out that we will view next if this falls through. 

I would call the gas co. and ask them . It might not be that much. I had an electric range for years and finally switched over to gas in our new house. I liked our glass-top range much better actually. Our glass-top heated way faster than our gas range, way easier to clean as well.. Also an electric oven is better for baking and roasting.

Edited by AlwaysWading
Practice catch and release

The cost to turn a line form the street and install a meter at the house is nada.  I spoke with the company this morning and they'll run the line for free since I'm interested in converting over all appliances.  There are some good rebates and incentives on appliances right now as well.  

46 mins ago, passiton said:

The cost to turn a line form the street and install a meter at the house is nada.  I spoke with the company this morning and they'll run the line for free since I'm interested in converting over all appliances.  There are some good rebates and incentives on appliances right now as well.  

Interesting.  Did they specify  that it would cost $0 to you if you decided you only wanted to convert to a gas range at this time or do you have to convert ALL, or just the furnace?

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

Interesting.  Did they specify  that it would cost $0 to you if you decided you only wanted to convert to a gas range at this time or do you have to convert ALL, or just the furnace?

I didn’t ask.  I just said I was interested in converting everything.  

Congrats on the new home.  While I'd love to have a house with both the advantages of solar and wind energy, at this time it's gas and electric from the grid.  I am a huge fan of gas.  For cooking it's the standard for most, awesome furnaces and while it does lack a certain charm, it is uber convenient for the fireplace.    

The fact that they will run it to the house for free should make the math pretty easy, and I suspect the ROI is pretty quick given the cost of heating oil.  i upgraded a few appliances/ furnace a few years ago and hear are a few thing you might want to consider.

Stove/Oven-  As I said, I'm a big fan of gas.  As someone else mentioned, for ovens, there are some advantages to electric WRT temp stability.  Some high end stoves are hybrid- gas stovetop and electric oven.  They can be a bit more pricey and unless you are a hardcore baker, I'm not sure it is worth it- although you will already have the electric feed in the correct location.  We went with an all gas ( save controls and confection fan) dual stove/oven combo with convection and have no regrets.

Water heater-  There are some pros and cons to the gas on-demand hot water heaters.  A big con is that they can be pretty pricey and the install is more complicated.  Provided you are putting it near the furnace, a straight gas hot water heater isn't a huge install if you can shared the chimney and gas feed.  You could probably even just have it prepped for when the electric one fails ( I'm assuming it isnt' oil boiler) But the gas ones of any sort are much more $s than electric to purchase.  I thought we would just put it an on-demand or hybrid unit but the install costs were a driving factor- it wasn't just hang it on the wall . 

Furnace-  Depending on your climate, look at the conventional (80% I think) vs high-efficiency furnaces.  The later have some different venting requirements so for me it wasn't just a simple swap.  But if you are in a cold area the costs might be worth it- or your new house may be easy to retrofit to accommodate.  There were some federal rebates (tax credits)  on these as well 2 years ago. They weren't big enough to make economic sense for us.

Good luck