Beachglass Guru

Reel suggestions for light action spinner

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm building a new spinning rod for the kayak and I'm having a hard time pairing a reel. Rod will be used mainly for weakfish and fluke in the back bays. I'm building on the black hole challenger bank 691UL 6'9 0.5-1.5 so I'm looking at a reel in the 2500 size that would be spooled with #10 or #15. The stradic seems like the obvious choice but I'm curious about those daiwa ballistic LT reels. If the daiwa sizing runs a bit large like they have in the past, I may be able to get away with the 1000 size ballistic LT.

Anyone have these reels and used them for similar application? 

Other reel suggestions in appropriate size class?

Edited by Beachglass Guru

Stick with the stradic, they are smooth and durable. I have the 2500 paired with a Loomis greenwater m 7’ best back bay combo around. I have not had success with the quality of Daiwas. They tend to break after 2 mos of regular use

The LT reels are now normally sized, so you don't have to adjust for Daiwa's oversizing anymore. Whereas a Aiwa BG 3000 is more like a 4000 reel, a Daiwa LT 3000 is actually a 3000. Also, I've heard the fuego LT 2500 is an absolutely awesome reel, and affordably priced too.

34 mins ago, FISH BUCKET said:

why does the stradic seem like an obvious choice?

there are so many decent reels for a lot less $ then a stradic.

100% Agreed! Stradics are great, but there are other cheaper shimano's out there. Look at the new Shimano Sahara Fi or even the Sedona Fi. Why pay that much for a reel being used in the back bays?

2 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. the stradic seemed like the obvious choice among the reels I was looking at. I didn't consider every reel on the market, I was almost sold on the stradic because I've had them before. I just figured I'd check to see what other reels were recently released in that price range that compared. I've never owned a daiwa spinner but the Ballistic LT had impressive reviews. I have had stradics before in larger sizes and I know they perform well if you take care of them. The stradic can be purchased new at $150, I don't consider that expensive for a quality reel.

but I'm open to suggestions if you have one that you feel is comparable in size and quality.

2 hours ago, jkorgood said:

The LT reels are now normally sized, so you don't have to adjust for Daiwa's oversizing anymore. Whereas a Aiwa BG 3000 is more like a 4000 reel, a Daiwa LT 3000 is actually a 3000. Also, I've heard the fuego LT 2500 is an absolutely awesome reel, and affordably priced too.

I haven't looked at the Fuego. I will now though.. Thanks

I considered the 1000, but under 100 yds of #10 seemed on the small side for my fishing. Several times I've wound up hooking into really decent bass while targeting weakfish in the back bays. A little more braid and a little more drag seemed like a better choice.

3 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

The shimano Nasci and the new Daiwa BGs are great for the money. Both have heals up for me, and have plenty of drag. And just over $100

1 min ago, Pisurfcaster said:

The shimano Nasci and the new Daiwa BGs are great for the money. Both have heals up for me, and have plenty of drag. And just over $100

I had a NASCI and it just didn't last for some reason.. I got a lot of handle play in only 2 seasons of being fished periodically and well cared for... 

I never looked at the BG..

Thanks