Pony Boy

New to SoCal

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hi All - 

Moved from East Coast and looking to get into some surf fishing. Was big into Tog, Stripers, and some offshore Tuna from NJ to MD. Any recommendations on general areas/beaches to get started? Not looking for spots in particular, just general recommendations on cool places to hit from SD up to Santa Barbara. Thanks!

Pony

On 3/4/2018 at 9:58 AM, Pony Boy said:

Hi All - 

Moved from East Coast and looking to get into some surf fishing. Was big into Tog, Stripers, and some offshore Tuna from NJ to MD. Any recommendations on general areas/beaches to get started? Not looking for spots in particular, just general recommendations on cool places to hit from SD up to Santa Barbara. Thanks!

Pony

Hi Pony,

Welcome to the Left Coast ! Lots of places to fish and scope out in So CA. I'm originally from San diego. Where do you live? 

-Jon

Sorry I didn't respond earlier... I have been away fishing the So CA surf.....I fish, mainly North OC and South LA CO....The whole area can be productive.. Not as many perch in the Long beach/ Seal Beach area, but lots of the others... Huntington, Bolsa Chica, Sunset and Surfside all can produce...Perch have been on a downward swing the last couple of years, but seem to be coming back this year...The trick is being able to spot structure on a sandy beach... Any questions...Let me know...

Butch

Welcome to the West Pony Boy! I am located more central coast Monterey Bay area, but if you have any questions, will do my best to answer. Not very familiar with the southern beaches in your area, but know croakers, halibut, Perch, Calico Bass and even the occasional striper to be in those waters. If you head up North along the coast you can target Striper (more readily available, but don't expect runs like you had out East), Rockfish, Lingcod, Salmon, and Sturgeon (Bay & Delta). If you go a little south (San Diego Area) and out to the islands on a boat can target White Seabass & Yellowtail and if travel further out on a 3-6 dayer Tuna and Dorado. Good luck this season and tell a joke? We always encourage new members to tell a joke to break the ice.  

Hi Pony Boy,

I am a new transplant to Socal from New York.  Its definitely different from out east.  I have had mixed results fishing from the beach.  Mostly small perch and corbina.   I will be honest after catching big stripers and Bluefish from NY beaches the species out here are a bit disappointing in size and strength.

But here is what is great out here

The weather is awesome you can fish year round

beach access is much easier

If you downsize tackle and think smaller species its fun

I fish mostly from a paddle board and back to the nice weather...its just nice to be outside

and the really good...

boat fishing... the palegic species here are good and relatively close to shore... yellowtail, dorado, yellowfin.

and Calico bass are really cool to fish along structure... like supersized ocean large mouth bass fishing.

best of luck down here...and dont forget there are mountains filled with trout to the northeast.

Welcome! Surf fishing out west will deliver smaller fish than you used  to. Use a lighter rig if you wanna have fun... When spinning, I use a 10' steelhead ultra light action and 2500 size reel and 20 lb braid. This makes it super fun to battle a 2 lb perch. Kinda floppy on the cast but worth the trade off. Or I flyfish. 

My buddies like to target Corbina on the fly, south of Santa Barbara. They use a guide named Lee Baermann who wrote a small book on fly fishing the surf in that region. Lee consulted with Airflo when they released their Beach and Surf fly lines.

I went from the Cape to Huntington Beach back to MA. 

Surf fishing SoCal was a disappointment. Offshore was much, much better in SoCal. Less expensive, closer, you own the fish you catch. 

5 hours ago, ged said:

Surf fishing SoCal was a disappointment. Offshore was much, much better in SoCal. Less expensive, closer, you own the fish you catch. 

unless you hook a bluefin, then it owns you

I have caught over 40 (guesstimate) varieties of fish from the surf... Including bonefish, tarpon, snook, jack and small striped bass....But sightfishing a corbina or spot fin croaker in the So CA surf still gets my blood boiling....It can be very frustrating or rewarding..... True, you're not chasing 50# bass, but downsize your gear, and it can be just as much fun.... Ask the guys up north, who chase striped bass, but also enjoy fishing for surf perch... Just a different game...Give it a try...

Butch

Mightyrime, that is a nice redfish there. Do you miss them as much as I do? The fish out here in the Peoples Republic of California are so different in some ways. I may have to break down and buy a surf rod. I have never surf fished before. I have wade fished, fished off the dock behind my house on a canal on the Gulf of Mexico, and off boats but never surf fished. Now that I'm boatless I May have to try to get a line wet.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, Paparock said:

Mightyrime, that is a nice redfish there. Do you miss them as much as I do? The fish out here in the Peoples Republic of California are so different in some ways. I may have to break down and buy a surf rod. I have never surf fished before. I have wade fished, fished off the dock behind my house on a canal on the Gulf of Mexico, and off boats but never surf fished. Now that I'm boatless I May have to try to get a line wet.

I would definitely consider it.  Perch may be your best bet from the beach if heading out to Ventura.