HighEndHooker

Hogy Pro Tails

31 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, Spotburnhater said:

boil the tail and the plastic will loosen up.   (hint hint)

My wife would kill me:beatin:

On 3/2/2018 at 8:32 PM, HighEndHooker said:

Yeah that’s the one. It doesn’t paddle at all, it’s stiff as a board. I bought them through the Hogy website too so it won’t even be worth it to return them with shipping. I might try to shave some plastic off the tail instead to try to get some action out of it.

keep in mind.....many plastics stiffen up in the cold water.

For fw i won't use certain plastics due to the lack of paddle motion in the ice cold water

Does it hang straight? or is it kinked.

60$ that's how much them things cost?  for how many?

Does it come with a clam shell to keep em all alligned?

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

60$ that's how much them things cost?  for how many?

Does it come with a clam shell to keep em all alligned?

I was fishing warm water discharge, water was around 50 degrees, so it shouldn’t have been that. Not sure what you mean by hanging straight, but they are $60 for a 10 pack that come in a ziplock bag.

25A54823-BE3F-4198-9831-529C916270C7.jpeg

AFA39E10-75FE-4E66-9B90-64334275EBBA.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Since you have a 10pk and arent returning them, I suppose you could experiment with shaving a thin bit off the narrow connecting region before the actual paddle. Might help.

Dont know if a regular new razor blade would work, or if the material is too dense to shave. Maybe heat the blade up with a torch if thats the case.

Edit:just watched the thing's action on linked video a few posts back. Looks like the whole swimbait has a designed rolling motion so chopping material off to get the tail moving prob not best solution. I dunno. GL

Edited by rst3

I’ve used these off and on for the past 2 seasons with zero luck. Last night I was reading all the comments on this post and today decided to try them again. So I just got back from Plum Island on the beach side near the rocks and caught about 5 schoolies finally, by ripping them almost as fast as I could through the water. When I slowed down my retrieve enough to still keep the paddle moving I didn’t get one hit. So maybe the trick is to get them moving at a pretty good clip.

1 hour ago, pclassic said:

I’ve used these off and on for the past 2 seasons with zero luck. Last night I was reading all the comments on this post and today decided to try them again. So I just got back from Plum Island on the beach side near the rocks and caught about 5 schoolies finally, by ripping them almost as fast as I could through the water. When I slowed down my retrieve enough to still keep the paddle moving I didn’t get one hit. So maybe the trick is to get them moving at a pretty good clip.

There are swimbaits out there that will tail kick at a slow crawl, and you can also burn them w/o the bait blowing out. Based on these reports and also how thick the tail section is...these pro tails don't seem like very versatile baits. 

3 hours ago, chunk said:

I never did catch much on hogys but have caught good on weighted slug go's

"weighted slug go's":):)

Wow, I really wish I'd have read this thread before buying them.

I bought a couple in 4.25" 1.25 oz in silver, along w/ an epoxy jig 1 1/4oz 4" in black / silver.

I thought they looked like a good mullet imitations.

Is someone willing to post a pic of how the weighted sluggo is rigged please?

People are saying they don't like the Pro Tail because the tail dosen't paddle, does the Sluggo have any action?

Thanks!

JD

IMG_3568.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

The pro tails are one of the most popular baits, Riptide swears by them for big bass and my local shop said that they're very popular with the canal guys.  They also make pro tail eels with a straight tail which are great for slower swimming.

Since posting this thread, I lost every single one to an Inlet and bluefish. They need fast current but they do work well in fast water. No good for open beaches though, for me anyway

I use them on open beaches. Tails move just fine, but one small tarpon and they're done. I use the 4" 1.5oz and the 5" 2oz. Here's a pic of one that was eviscerated on the strike.

20180731_114046.jpg

It's all about how you use them. Paddle tails are meant for swimming,, the faster you swim,  the more action.  Straight tails are good for slow presentations. 

Stripers gargle these things!20180828_212903.jpg.f5331c9c17bd7a368d82f6ef4d2f617c.jpg