Wood Work

Rate this topic

dleopoldi914

I am going to pick up a 17 Montauk and wanted to have the option of  putting in a removable bench for when I go to Islands or see fireworks because people will not want to ride in the bow.

I got the bench made out of mahogany which is the same as the rest of the boat.

I know 0 about woodwork and didn't realize I need to varnish the wood. From my understanding it would take me 2 days to do 1 coat because I would have to do one side wait for it to dry then do the other. The first coat I applied with 50% mineral spirits and 50% z spar captains 1015 varnish. Second cost 3 to 1, z spar to mineral spirits. Then 100% varnish for every.

My question I have is should I support it against the wall and paint, or put it on milk crates? I have limited space in my 1 car garage.

I plan to apply 7 coats. Do I sand between every single layer I apply? I was going to use 220 grit sand paper.

Pics are enclosed. The bench has not been varnished. I put in pictures of the woodwork on the boat and the unvarnished bench.

Bench.jpg

20180224_235559-COLLAGE.jpg

you have to lay it flat. or you will have lots of runs. I would do the bottom part and edges of it first. then concentrate on the top, that will be the part that you will see. For best results, Apply some kind of epoxy first, 2-2 coats, then varnish.

:hooked:

"Welcome to the madness, you'll drive out there a few times and catch nothing and it will drive you nuts.. then you will learn and figure it out step by step and then you'll go really nuts :) " - "Awesome John"

"AJ. Awesome post. 100% correct!" - mtk

I have used little plastic pyramid shaped pieces about 1 1/2" high.....usually one at each corner. Varnish back side then  flip  and place on pointed tips ....then varnish good side...they dont stick and barely leave a mark.

Edited by Rmarsh

1 hour ago, mtkstriper said:

you have to lay it flat. or you will have lots of runs. I would do the bottom part and edges of it first. then concentrate on the top, that will be the part that you will see. For best results, Apply some kind of epoxy first, 2-2 coats, then varnish.

Ok so I did 1 coat already with mineral spirits 50-50, should I now put on cans and start doing the coats? 

1 hour ago, Rmarsh said:

I have used little plastic pyramid shaped pieces about 1 1/2" high.....usually one at each corner. Varnish back side then  flip  and place on pointed tips ....then varnish good side...they dont stick and barely leave a mark.

What do these cones look like? I want to try this.

2 hours ago, dleopoldi914 said:

Ok so I did 1 coat already with mineral spirits 50-50, should I now put on cans and start doing the coats? 

you can do as many coats as you want. just let it dry and sand in between coats. the more coats the better. Also, keep you brushes nice and clean.  

:hooked:

"Welcome to the madness, you'll drive out there a few times and catch nothing and it will drive you nuts.. then you will learn and figure it out step by step and then you'll go really nuts :) " - "Awesome John"

"AJ. Awesome post. 100% correct!" - mtk

9 hours ago, Rmarsh said:

Wasn't able to line these up on the corners . The bench is also big to flip and very akward to flip. If they are not in the corner you think they are ok?

I wouldn't do epoxy...real PITA plus toxic.

McCloskey Man O War Marine Varnish is really good stuff. Yes... 220 or 320 between coats which are completely dry. If not...the surface will be very slightly gummy and will clog your sandpaper very quickly. Use a painter's tack cloth to get off sanding dust before subsequent coats. Don't use varnish right from the can or you'll contaminate it as you work.  Pour out the required amount into a clean tin can or disposable bucket. I save the big tomatoes cans or coffee cans for this purpose.  A NICE quality bristle brush will be a major asset. Wash really thoroughly and brush out afterwards.

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

18 hours ago, mtkstriper said:

Agree with epoxy first. It seals the wood permanently; as it gets into the wood & isn't just a coating. I use CPES. It's expensive; but excellent. You can also cut some epoxy 50% with acetone. 

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd

8 hours ago, dleopoldi914 said:

Wasn't able to line these up on the corners . The bench is also big to flip and very akward to flip. If they are not in the corner you think they are ok?

They should be in from the edges an inch or two .....not right on the corners...so the piece wont accidently slide off. The little contact made by the pointed tip will barely leave a mark.

13 hours ago, Rmarsh said:

They should be in from the edges an inch or two .....not right on the corners...so the piece wont accidently slide off. The little contact made by the pointed tip will barely leave a mark.

Ok painted both sides and the side facing down got some bubbles from I guess drip? Sanded it down the bubbles and will proceed to do 1 side at a time. What you think ?

11 hours ago, dleopoldi914 said:

Ok painted both sides and the side facing down got some bubbles from I guess drip? Sanded it down the bubbles and will proceed to do 1 side at a time. What you think ?

Sure....that will work. With varnish, poly, or epoxy, I try to put very thin coats...... too thick and you get runs or drips....and since you are applying several coats you dont need to apply much.

I did all my boat hatches using the pyramid standoffs to keep them from touching and sticking to the work surface...to paint just one side and sometimes both.

DSCF0541.JPG

• 1 month later...

Ok guys on coat 6 and learnt a lot.....

1.) I wasted varnish because in the can the top layer hardened. I ran short on paint.

2.) bubbles can be sliced off with a razor blade

3.) I was using 225 grit sand paper. Do you think 325 is better for the final coats?

4.) less is more I use foam brushes and spread the brush until dry on the wood.

Here is a pic of my thwart bench on coat 5 . This will go on my Montauk 17 for extra seating 

0289CEC5-7974-41F6-9E9A-A4F5FF033B3C.jpeg