aquaholik

New Promising Knot : FG Variation - Relix Knot

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, The Zen Master said:

How does a person tie any of these knots on a beach, with the wind blowing, and less that better-than-perfect eyesight?

I'm sticking with a triple surgeon's knot! :howdy:

Love the enthusiasm in here lol. For the record, the double line uni is close to FG knot strength and everyone knows how to tie it. It's 60-70% which is good enough since most braid here in the US overtest by at least 50 %.

I'm just excited about this Relix knot after I found a variation that makes it as strong as a PR knot in limited testing. Swinging a bobbin is not an option in a small boat. FG is my go to and I can tie that in the dark and this knot is pretty similar so it's pretty easy for me. Only problem with the FG is the knot strength decreases with braids heavier than 30 lbs. Hopefully the Relix knot will closely match the PR knot in heavier line.

What about a double line FG knot with a bimini twist to make the double line?  The instructions to do it are on the **** IGFA knot test page or a secondary link. The "improved" GT and PR knot tied at the top with 30lb braid tests.

9 hours ago, Draekon said:

What about a double line FG knot with a bimini twist to make the double line?  The instructions to do it are on the **** IGFA knot test page or a secondary link. The "improved" GT and PR knot tied at the top with 30lb braid tests.

If you can tie a 100 percent Bimini then you can make a 100% connection to any mono using virtually any line to leader knot since you are tying two lines to the leader now. The problem is most hand tied Bimini knot is around 70 %.

On 2/27/2018 at 5:08 PM, mml4 said:

I don't want to sound rude or hyper critical but that puppy is gonna clatter through the guides. The beauty of the FG is its' smooth going out as well as strong.

Marc

Looks like a guide banger to me as well. 

On 9/12/2020 at 9:59 PM, aquaholik said:

Love the enthusiasm in here lol. For the record, the double line uni is close to FG knot strength and everyone knows how to tie it. It's 60-70% which is good enough since most braid here in the US overtest by at least 50 %.

I'm just excited about this Relix knot after I found a variation that makes it as strong as a PR knot in limited testing. Swinging a bobbin is not an option in a small boat. FG is my go to and I can tie that in the dark and this knot is pretty similar so it's pretty easy for me. Only problem with the FG is the knot strength decreases with braids heavier than 30 lbs. Hopefully the Relix knot will closely match the PR knot in heavier line.

Is this a normal double uni but with the braid doubled up?

23 mins ago, nateD said:

Is this a normal double uni but with the braid doubled up?

Yes but don't use a spider hitch or a surgeon loop to double up the braid because that will weaken it. Just simply fold over it self to form the double line. 

16 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Yes but don't use a spider hitch or a surgeon loop to double up the braid because that will weaken it. Just simply fold over it self to form the double line. 

Thanks, double uni is what i use when I need to tie fast, or in crappy weather, but I've never doubled up the braid, that should make for a nicer knot when the leader is thick.

18 hours ago, aquaholik said:

If you can tie a 100 percent Bimini then you can make a 100% connection to any mono using virtually any line to leader knot since you are tying two lines to the leader now. The problem is most hand tied Bimini knot is around 70 %.

That makes sense. The IGFA claims 80.9% for this double lined FG w/Bimini vs 84.3% for the PR knot using 15lb braid.  I made a mistake. The modified GT was 100% using 50lb braid vs 99.5% for the PR knot not 30lb braid.  If your knot beats this, maybe submit it.  I am just curious if you can replicated their results. I can't post the link or mention the name of the website. Here is an image from the article showing IGFA testing.

12VRY66GRHZGQ5AMYXAE47HRA3Y.jpg

8 hours ago, Draekon said:

That makes sense. The IGFA claims 80.9% for this double lined FG w/Bimini vs 84.3% for the PR knot using 15lb braid.  I made a mistake. The modified GT was 100% using 50lb braid vs 99.5% for the PR knot not 30lb braid.  If your knot beats this, maybe submit it.  I am just curious if you can replicated their results. I can't post the link or mention the name of the website. Here is an image from the article showing IGFA testing.

12VRY66GRHZGQ5AMYXAE47HRA3Y.jpg

I'm aware of the tests done by sportsfishing magazine. They are infamous for their 7 turns 100 % Bimini in braid that no one could replicate. The guy that submitted the 99.5 % PR knot is a Facebook friend and he sent me lines and knots to test before.

The modified GT that won uses a Bimini knot to double the braid. He could have tied a triple surgeon to connect line to leader and still win. The inherent nature of the GT is no better than a slim beauty or uni knot.

The Bimini tied using a bobbin tends to test consistently higher than hand tied one but you might as well spin a PR knot if you're using a bobbin.