aquaholik

New Promising Knot : FG Variation - Relix Knot

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, aquaholik said:

Nope. No effect on knot strength. All finishing knots beyond the first locking half hitch merely function as insurance against minor slippage. 

Exactly why I don't finish my PR knots with a million half hitches. A single half hitch, glove tighten, a second triple half hitch, glove tighten. Then trim the tags and a drop of superglue to secure the hitches from coming undone. Never had a failure. People go waaaay overboard on the finishes on these kind of knots. 

5 hours ago, chitala383 said:

So what's the final verdict of this knot?

Takes too long and we have knots that work so why fix something that is not broken lol. Deff interesting 

Final verdict is part 2 and 3 is not worth the effort. Doing part 1 10 times is plenty and finish like normal FG. Still a 90 secs knot doing it that way. 

Edited by aquaholik

On 2/27/2018 at 5:08 PM, mml4 said:

I don't want to sound rude or hyper critical but that puppy is gonna clatter through the guides. The beauty of the FG is its' smooth going out as well as strong.

Marc

I totally agree with Marc.  This knot is interesting but I use the FG due to the low profile (and it's proven to be strong enough)

On 3/5/2018 at 5:43 AM, aquaholik said:

Final verdict is part 2 and 3 is not worth the effort. Doing part 1 10 times is plenty and finish like normal FG. Still a 90 secs knot doing it that way. 

I have been following this thread carefully... just want to clarify:

You said earlier - when finishing normally - "(A)fter the first locking half hitch, finish it like a regular FG. No need to do the finish back over the knot itself...."

So that seems to me to indicate that the knot has only two steps:

Step 1:  10 x the 2-1 method (i.e. braid over mono 2x then braid over braid+mono 1x?), followed by (only):

Step 2:  a simple finish of four (normal, same direction, not alternating?) half hitches?

Is that correct?  Is that what your tests currently indicate is the strongest version of the FG (or Relix) knot?  By strongest I interpret your results to mean an improvement that is, on average, ~7-10% above the normal FG knot strength (your prior results using standard FG knot).

So for example, I am trying to get the best result going from 40lb braid (Yozuri or J Braid) to 50 lb mono where I need to get the knot to fail at or above the rated strength of the line (i.e., 40lb).

By the above - assuming an additional (apprx) 7% of strength due to the 2:1 method, 40lb J Braid (FG knot normal = ~42 lb) should fail at the knot close to 46lb and Yozuri ultra blue 40 (FG knot normal = 39.5 lb) should fail at the knot around 42lb. 

Just checking my own assumptions.  This is great work.  I will try the FG normally and with the above improvements.

--Killie

The FG Knot Strength is not written in stone and it baffles me that it falls below 70% in some braid, not just 4 strand braid. Just testing the Relix Knot in those poor performing FG Knot braid yields some improvement. But testing is limited so far so I can't come to a general broad assumption that it will apply to all braids. 

That knot as shown on YouTube is a poor knot and you can toss step 3 out. Step 2 yields a minimal improvement in limited testing but requires much more effort than a regular half hitch finish. As far as alternating half hitches VS regular half hitches, let's just say that alternating half hitches never hurt but it doesn't always improve the knot strength. The sole purpose of the alternating half hitches is to keep the main braided line straight, instead of spiraling around the mono. That means when you test it to failure, the knot does not spin on the testing machine. But this minor amount of line twist does not affect the final KBS when the KBS is 80% or less. 

Even in FG Knot testing, I can't rule out that a 15 turns each side is the optimal number for all braids. Some braid might have a sweet spot that might be 13 or 17 turns. BUT I know for sure that a 30 or 40 turns(each side) does not increase FG knot strength unlike the PR knot where a 4 inch PR knot always outperform a 2 inch PR knot.

If you want to improve on the FG knot and avoid long knot like the PR knot which is not very castable thru the guides, you need to seriously look at FG knot with a bobbin finish. Now that is a finish that I guarantee you will improve on the FG knot by at least 10 % and often approaches the PR knot strength without approaching the length of the PR knot. Most bobbin wrapped FG knot is 1.5 inch or less in length. And all it requires is using a bobbin with 10 lbs braid to wrap around the FG knot after the locking half hitch. I will dig up the YouTube video showing that method. It's the same method used to make windon leader using FG knot. 

Edited by aquaholik

The above test was done with the 30 lbs J braid sample(label said 20 lbs but it has the mass of 30 lbs JBraid) whose ABS is 46 lbs and whose FG knot strength is about 34 lbs. The bobbin wrapped FG knot improved that number to 43 lbs which is over 90%. Not in one test but in two tests. The first test, the mono leader broke at 41.60 lbs.  This is a 20% improvement over the standard FG knot while increasing the knot length by only .5 inch. 

Edited by aquaholik

I guess I must have missed something.  You did part 1 10 times (2-1x10), part 2 (braid over braid, braid over leader and braid) 10 times and then a simple 4 alternating hitch finish.  But you said that it was not the part 2 that added the strength it was the sufficient number of 2-1 wraps in part 1 (in this case 10x not 6x).  Simply omitting part 2 is an option?  In that case why not do 15x part 1 then a whipped finish?

I get that the number of times is variable based on which braid and lb test and that adding a whip finish with a lighter braid helps.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:57 PM, Cpalms said:

that dudes fingernails are creepy.

I believe the tier was a woman with hands like that.

As for the knot? If it works than it is good!