aquaholik

New Promising Knot : FG Variation - Relix Knot

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

Preliminary testing so far in HEAVY leader shows promising results. About a 10% improvement over FG knot in Yozuri Super Braid 30 lbs and about a 14% improvement in Gliss 40 lbs which has really bad FG knot strength despite my many attempts and variations.

Still not conclusive. Testing on 80 leader yields the above results but testing on 30 lbs leader yield bad results in Yozuri Super Braid but good results in Spiderwire Ultracast 15 lbs and slightly better than FG results in 40 lbs Gliss.

I don't think it's the 2-1 wraps that is giving it strength. It's rather the wrap over mono, wrap over braid and mono, wrap over mono...... that is giving it strength. The reason is that it keeps the mainline in a straight line during the test to failure.

I will test it on braids that have FG knot in the 65-70% range to see if I can get the 10% or better improvement on it. Now I wish I have some Fireline 8 to test again to see if I can improve on the poor FG knot strength.

After the first locking half hitch, finish it like a regular FG. No need to do the finish back over the knot itself. That seems to weaken it for me but then again I have not done enough testing on known braids.

Note to Scoobydoo: do the same thing as the FG but use 2-1 combination for 7-10 times, then wrap tag end of braid over mono, overbraid/mono, repeat 5 times then lock it with one final half hitch, just like FG knot. Rizutto is optional.

Edited by aquaholik

Cool...I wonder if the standard fg works with the over under after about 10 standard fg wraps.....

Did you ever get my message about the "lazy alberto"  ?  :)

I'll be tied up..(pun) for the next day or so..i have a few pounds of shimano reels in pieces :)  (ultegra, stradic, stradic ci4+, sustain, exsence, stella :) )

Definitely like the loos of this...may be easier to tie on light leaders

Edited by scoobydoo

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Cool...I wonder if the standard fg works with the over under after about 10 standard fg wraps.....

Did you ever get my message about the "lazy alberto"  ?  :)

I'll be tied up..(pun) for the next day or so..i have a few pounds of shimano reels in pieces :)  (ultegra, stradic, stradic ci4+, sustain, exsence, stella :) )

Definitely like the loos of this...may be easier to tie on light leaders

Yeah going to do the standard FG but with that finish and see if it helps. This knot seems to have the strength of the FG knot with the bobbin finish but too early to tell. 

Never got the message. Resend it. 

Edited by aquaholik

Holy cow that's alot of knotting. Am I crazy to think this is more work to do in the field than needed? Is this something you'll do before an outing and rock it all night starting with along leader? When it comes to bass and blue fishing

13 hours ago, Crabba said:

Holy cow that's alot of knotting. Am I crazy to think this is more work to do in the field than needed? Is this something you'll do before an outing and rock it all night starting with along leader? When it comes to bass and blue fishing

If you are doing the FG knot the Scoobydoo way then it's just the 2-1 combo instead of the 1-1 method. The finish is a little different. Instead of series of half hitch over braid mono, you alternate mono-braid/mono. So it probably adds 30 secs.

I will run some tests to see if it's worth the effort or just stick with the standard FG knot.

Nice find. I am going to try this one.

I used the PR knot once and I got it perfect with the best strength I’ve ever tried with braid & leader. However, since that first time, I’ve been unable to get a PR to stay on the leader. It always slips off the back past the melted bulb. I switched back to FG. 

Some of my FG knots have been getting tight first by the main line instead of tightening down and getting translucent at the front where the mono and braid meet. So, I tried an alternative. I did ten wraps of standard feel FG. I snug it tight and pinch by the tag end. I pull the main line to start slight cinching and pull the tag end again to keep it all semi finished. Then, I wrap the tag end tightly coiled around both mono and braid like you would do for a standard PR knot. About 20 or 30 wraps. Then I finish like a standard PR knot. This way tightens down perfectly. I can’t picture it ever breaking at the knot. 

I don't want to sound rude or hyper critical but that puppy is gonna clatter through the guides. The beauty of the FG is its' smooth going out as well as strong.

Marc

Ok, did some testing using the remaining Vicious Braid 20 lbs to soft 30lbs mono leader(ABS 48lbs)

Vicious 20 lbs braid:

ABS : 38.05,36.15,37.80 lbs

FG 30 turns : 22.80, 23.65, 22.85 lbs

IF you follow the knot exactly in the video: 2-1 x 6(part1), mono/braid-mono 20 times(part 2), alternating half hitch going back over the knot(part 3), YOU WILL GET A HORRIBLE RESULTS : 19.65 lbs.

And the main reason is that the 2-1x6 beginning wraps which is what makes it resemble and FG knot, is no where near enough. Doing that test again minus all the fancy finish, yields 18.80 lbs. So clearly 2-1x6 is the underlying weakness.

First test protocol: 2-1x10 then finish with 4 alternating half hitch(no part 2 and no part 3):

25.05, 26.40, 26.45 lbs.

Bumping part 1 to 15 times(2-1x15), DROPS the knot strength to 23.85. So longer or shorter is not better. There is a sweet spot, and sadly, might be line diameter dependent. So 10 is a good start.

Second test protocol : part 1 10 times(2-1x10), part 2 10 times = 27.35

:part 1 10 times(2-1x10), part 2 20 times = 27.40

Third test protocol : part 1 10 times, part 2 10 times, part 3 6 times = 24.60

Just as I suspected with Yozuri Super Braid, the alternating half hitch going over the knot itself does not help and actually hurts the knot. Not only that, it's an unnecessary step that just adds more time.

So the test results so far means that all you have to do is do part 1 10 times and finish it the traditional FG knot way. Does not add any more time or complication to the FG knot and yields a 7-10 % improvement.

More testing to be done on braid whose FG knot is inexplicably low at around 60-70%. Gliss 40 lbs and original black Fireline in 10 lbs.

I was just going to say, half hitching back over the knot seems like a horrible idea. It would keep the knot from being able to dig in properly which is what makes a fingertrap style knot work... cool to see a new style though. 

Edited by Cfinnely68

9 mins ago, Cfinnely68 said:

I was just going to say, half hitching back over the knot seems like a horrible idea. It would keep the knot from being able to dig in properly which is what makes a fingertrap style knot work... cool to see a new style though. 

Yep. It splits the wraps up. Never a good idea when the wraps are what makes the knot strong.

Wow...that's underwelming considering the amount of work.

I wonder if finishing the knot with the over under would be a good lead up to a few half hitches for the PR knot

By the way..I've been tying my PR by adding 1 half hitch....then spinning  with the bobbin back down.... placing the final half hitches in the middle of the knot...I dig that way much more than the ton of half hitches..I find it a bit quicker