Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John B

What will become of the water after the WTC disaster?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

(I originally posted this in the "Flatlands of New Jersey" forum, then thought about it and figured the discussion would fit in here)

After all the praying, crying, frustration and anger from the WTC attack dies down, after we can make an attempt to get back to our "normal" lives (which in no way will resemble the normal lives we had last Monday - normal has be redefined), what is going to happen to the water quality in and around NYC?

There is a lot of debris, soot, and dust in southern Manhatten. Where is it going to go when it rains? What is going to happen to our ecosystems? What will the particulates, asbestos, jet fuel residue, and who knows what else do to NY harbor, Raritan Bay, LI Sound and the Atlantic?

------------------

John B

mako7@monmouth.com

An excellent question, and that process will start tonight with the expected heavy rains. This just keeps getting worse... cwm23.gif

------------------

---- Facin' East, Reel Ranger ----

---- Member - Shark River Surf Anglers ----

John B -

Those are provocative thoughts but right now I think that most environmental concerns re on the far, back burner of priorities. Besides the crime scene contents of the material, the chief concern now is removal of the debris and rubble in order to locate survivors and recover the remains of those who perished. Within the next few days a far more serious public health threat will arise from the unrecovered remains.

Environmentally, I feel that the waters will sustain no harmful impact either in the present or the future. Considering the loss of merchant vessels and tankers off our shores during WW2 the ocean has over the past sixty years dealt with these scars of war and actually creating new life upon them.

Although this is a fisherman's self-centered thought and perhaps too morbid to consider at this present time but perhaps the concrete and steel debris from the WTC could be used as a foundation for a new offshore reef. Named say... 'The WTC Memorial Reef'. I would think it a more fitting end than to be carted off to a landfill somewhere. A reef where new life could flourish like the phoenix arising from the ashes.