'Tis the season.... for TICKS

ThrowinPlugs

1 hour ago, FishermanTim said:

Besides complete eradication, a healthy population of ground birds could do a number on them, provided the predators were kept at bay....

An old boss of mine did this for his Xmas tree farm with guinea hens. They lasted 3 days between foxes and hawks lol

On 4/26/2018 at 2:19 PM, FishermanTim said:

Besides complete eradication, a healthy population of ground birds could do a number on them, provided the predators were kept at bay....

I just fenced off 11 acres of our yard to keep out the deer.  15 years ago I had thrushes, thrashers, ovenbirds, etc. (all ground birds).  Deer population exploded, I lost all my undergrowth.  Ground nesters disappeared.  Ticks became a constant issue.  I've had Lyme twice and almost died (seriously) from Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

I like to see a man of advancing years throwing caution to the wind.  Its inspiring in a way.

More coffee hun?

Yeah, just keep it coming.

I’ve been hunting for years...I have experimented with Permethrin.. I don’t know why people are saying it kills ticks on contact. I have saved ticks found on animals,and on myself. I have placed them on shirts sprayed with Permethrin,and watched them keep on trucking right off the shirt,on to the table,and repeat this a dozen times. I have also sprayed Permethrin directly on the ticks,and they keep on walking. So,I have no idea where this kill on contact claim comes from.

Just be careful with permethrin if you have cats, it apparently is toxic to them. Maybe hang up your treated clothes and boots in the garage and put em on before you go out in the woods. I think the treatment on clothing works for multiple washings. Just read the directions carefully. 

45 mins ago, peanutbunkerandjelly said:

I just bought some concentrated cedar oil. I'm going to try spraying my yard with it in a hose end sprayer for the next couple months. 

Your yard will smell like an old ladies wardrobe, maybe that'll keep the ticks away! 

On May 10, 2018 at 9:25 PM, toight_like_a_tiger said:

I was playing fetch with my dogs this evening.  One of my dogs headed a tennis ball past the electric fence and into a garden plot.  Wouldn't you know when I retrieved the ball and looked down a little bastid on my shin.  Why on earth were these ****ers ever created.

To keep the population under control. There are too many of us it seems. 

On 4/27/2018 at 8:06 PM, pat the nat said:

I just fenced off 11 acres of our yard to keep out the deer.  15 years ago I had thrushes, thrashers, ovenbirds, etc. (all ground birds).  Deer population exploded, I lost all my undergrowth.  Ground nesters disappeared.  Ticks became a constant issue.  I've had Lyme twice and almost died (seriously) from Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

Quoting myself here but...

with the deer now excluded from these 11 acres I've seen woodland wild flowers blooming that I haven't seen in many years like trilliums, bloodroot, and lady slippers.   Acorns and hickory nuts are sprouting everywhere.  Amazing how quickly the forest bounces back with no deer.

Thinking about getting a flock of guinea hens to roam around eating the ticks.  I feel much better letting the kids and dog run the yard with no deer around.

I like to see a man of advancing years throwing caution to the wind.  Its inspiring in a way.

More coffee hun?

Yeah, just keep it coming.

33 mins ago, pat the nat said:

Quoting myself here but...

with the deer now excluded from these 11 acres I've seen woodland wild flowers blooming that I haven't seen in many years like trilliums, bloodroot, and lady slippers.   Acorns and hickory nuts are sprouting everywhere.  Amazing how quickly the forest bounces back with no deer.

Thinking about getting a flock of guinea hens to roam around eating the ticks.  I feel much better letting the kids and dog run the yard with no deer around.

When I used to do a lot of fieldwork in Jersey, there was a heck of a browse line in some areas. Little understory, and few tree saplings either.

How'd you fence the 11 acres? Electric?

Talstar P another good strong one to spray around the yard. If you are concerned about pets/animals or prefer more natural means, spread diatomaceous earth around the perimeter of your yard. It kills ticks as well as other 'shelled' insects by piercing their exoskeleton causing them to dehydrate and die. It does not eradicate them completely but doing a perimeter keeps them from migrating into the yard. We noticed a reduction in the number of ticks on our cat (outdoor cat, we brush him when he comes in at night, typically find between one to two dozen ticks) after doing this. Also as someone mentioned tick tubes work wonders as most deer ticks are carried by mice not deer. 

I learned last year that larval deer ticks (have six legs rather than eight) do not carry Lyme. Lyme is apparently picked up by ticks during their first feeding, and larval ticks have not yet feed, thus do not carry. But once they feed and sprout those other two legs.......