hanlon-surf

Fathom 15 & 25n

25 posts in this topic

hanlon, i use those mechanic gloves for casting.  for conv i cut off all the  fingers but the thumb. for spinning i cut all except the pointer finger. i get the gloves for free so there's that but it works better for me then tape

tuna, thats a good idea on the spray. i will do that next time i am using my casting field

Holy cow... a 25 for casting? There were over 100 drum (only count if they’re over 40”FL) caught by an individual last year alone, on a 12. I caught sharks to 5ft last fall (went drumless :( ) on a 12, and capacity was never an issue. Running  Pro spec chrome 16lb. 

I do have a 15 only because I got a good deal from a member here. 

You dont need tape tape or gloves either.... side pressure on the lip on the spool, and thumb the metal of the spool when you need braking.

Edited by TreednNC

On 2/26/2018 at 5:42 AM, hanlon-surf said:

pulled the trigger on the 25N and 11' Carnage II.  cant wait to try everything out!!!!!!  in the process of planning a potential Mahi trip out of Ft. Lauderdale.  would love to take the 25n there and put it through its paces there (different rod of course) before targeting Cobia and Drum on the OBX.

thank you to Tony from Penn and everyone for your help. 

I plan on using a Fathom 25N with my 10 ft Nomad (1 - 4 oz spinning) travel surf rod. Are you happy with the casting performance of the Fathom 25N. Are you using 2 oz lures?

2 hours ago, Capefox said:

I plan on using a Fathom 25N with my 10 ft Nomad (1 - 4 oz spinning) travel surf rod. Are you happy with the casting performance of the Fathom 25N. Are you using 2 oz lures?

I use a 25N with a medium (4-8 oz.) conventional bait rod. I like it.

17 hours ago, Capefox said:

couldn't be happier with it! it a truly fantastic caster. yes it took some practice, but by the end of my last trip I was confident enough to take three breaks off leaving three engaged and the results were exactly what I was looking for.

I didnt throw any lures as that wasn't really why I purchased it. 3-4oz and bait though was thrown a bunch. 

as for matching the 25n to your spinning rod, I would check the guide lay out to ensure they will keep the line off the blank. I am not familiar with the nomad so perhaps it will work. I do know that the majority of my spinning rods would not work. also, the shorter butt end may make the rig more difficult to "work" with the larger reel. just recommendations

tight lines my friend!

On 3/2/2018 at 7:06 PM, TreednNC said:

Holy cow... a 25 for casting? There were over 100 drum (only count if they’re over 40”FL) caught by an individual last year alone, on a 12. 

On 10/17/2018 at 1:20 PM, Capefox said:

I love the Fathom and am selling off all my Daiwa Saltist and replacing with it. But Treed is right. A lot of people are using the Fathom 15 to catch 40-50 lb Drum with 13 ft rods casting 8 oz and bait. I think you will find a Fathom 25 on a 10 ft rod for 1-4 oz is a very poorly matched set up. 

25 mins ago, Springer said:

I love the Fathom and am selling off all my Daiwa Saltist and replacing with it. But Treed is right. A lot of people are using the Fathom 15 to catch 40-50 lb Drum with 13 ft rods casting 8 oz and bait. I think you will find a Fathom 25 on a 10 ft rod for 1-4 oz is a very poorly matched set up. 

Got three 12s on the roof riding CTS 1305s and a 1306. One still needs a bend put in it to break it in. Hope to get that detail worked out in about an hour and a half. 

Well my Fathom 25N arrived today, and it's a lot lighter and more compact than the 500 Jigmaster I used as a youth/teen. Overall it seems very nicely made. However, I exchanged the 25N for the Fathom 15 after all. (I was very torn between the Squall 15 and the Fathom 15, but the all metal construction just felt right to me.) The heaviest things I'm ever likely to fish for are leopard sharks, banjoes, yellowtail, striper, and small tuna, and it should balance better with the Nomad 10 ft surf rod. 

Edited by Capefox