hanlon-surf

Fathom 15 & 25n

25 posts in this topic

Penn-

any chance you could post a picture of these two side by side? if not, can you let me know approximately how much taller the 25n is and how much wider the 15 is?

also, any concerns using either on the 11' Carnage II? that looks to be the stick that i will use.  i will be using mono at first then braid.

thank you!

-Sean

the 11' will work fine, have you ever casted a conventional without the external brakes?  The Fathom SD have the internal brakes but even with all of them engaged the spool still spins very fast.

tony

heck yea, thank you Tony, that is exactly what i was looking for.

as for casting a conventional without external breaks, i have not, but i intend to start practicing here in the near future.

thanks again,

Sean

48 mins ago, hanlon-surf said:

heck yea, thank you Tony, that is exactly what i was looking for.

as for casting a conventional without external breaks, i have not, but i intend to start practicing here in the near future.

thanks again,

Sean

Be prepared for a burning thumb :cool:

tony

10 mins ago, PENN Fishing said:

Be prepared for a burning thumb :cool:

tony

would you recommend the Squall over the Fathom as it has the magnetic brakes?  i am really digging the all metal construction of the Fathom, really that is one of the prime factors that has driven the purchase of my last 5 Penn reels.  

3 mins ago, hanlon-surf said:

would you recommend the Squall over the Fathom as it has the magnetic brakes?  i am really digging the all metal construction of the Fathom, really that is one of the prime factors that has driven the purchase of my last 5 Penn reels.  

Tony will answer, I'm sure, but I faced a similar question last year, when I built a new conventional surf bait rod, and I went with the Fathom 25N. I too liked the all-metal body of the Fathom.

Also, I'm remembering correctly -- Tony will correct me if I'm wrong :D -- the largest Squall that's magged is the 15: there is a 25N Squall model, but it's got the same non-magged deal that the Fathom 25N has. Since I fish with mono, I went with the Fathom, as the Squall 15 didn't have the line capacity I wanted (the Fathom 25N holds 320 yards of 20-lb. mono, versus 160 yards for the Squall 15), and given the choice between Squall 25N and Fathom 25N, I went with the Fathom and the all-metal body (I like my surf reels to be overbuilt). 

My first impression when I fished the 25N last year was that it is noticeably faster than the magged reels like the Squall and the old 525 mag. But it ain't rocket science: I figured it out, and I barely have two opposable thumbs.

You'll probably do well with either, but here's how I'd break it down for you: if the Squall 15 has enough line capacity for what you'll be doing (if you'll be plugging, and/or using braid), that get it, because the magged braking is worth it. If the Squall 15 does not have the line capacity you need, go for the Fathom 25N.

If we could get the folks at Penn to factory-mag the Squall 25N, that would be an absolute home run, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen. 

Go with the Fathom.  It just takes time/casting practice.  Tape your thumb, practice by launching it 50 times and adjust the internal brakes accordingly.  You may throw a birds nest or two, but less likely when using mono vs braid. 

tony

Fathom 25n and the 11' Carnage II it is

i have an old spool of 20# Ande Premium that i will spool with for practice and then fish this season with 20# Ande Back Country or other similar 'limp' mono. once i get it nailed down i will switch to braid.

thanks all!

20 mins ago, hanlon-surf said:

once i get it nailed down i will switch to braid.

Believe it or not, I think very heavy braid, like 80 or 100 lb., is even easier to learn on. If you have a backlash, the limp braid is easier to pick apart than the stiffer mono. YMMV may vary, but I learned conventional casting with a Penn 525 mag and 80-lb. braid: a wise old-timer recommended that to me, and it was a good deal. You can try it too.

Sean, 

I have a Fathom 15 on a 11ft. Battalion and I think it matches up pretty good.
Also I use 17 or 20lb. Big Game Mono on it and think it is a great line especially for the cost.

Ron

Edited by Bluedogfishing

Go with a fathom 15.  It has plenty of capacity especially with 16lb pro spec chrome.  You can catch 99% of any striper, drum, or cobia casting from shore with that set up.

pulled the trigger on the 25N and 11' Carnage II.  cant wait to try everything out!!!!!!  in the process of planning a potential Mahi trip out of Ft. Lauderdale.  would love to take the 25n there and put it through its paces there (different rod of course) before targeting Cobia and Drum on the OBX.

thank you to Tony from Penn and everyone for your help. 

One small tip when doing casting practice. Its certainly better to practice "on the water", but if that is not possible,  be sure to carry a spray bottle of water to wet down your line thoroughly before each and every heave.