RacARod

NightCrawlers

Hal just built a rack for me. I recommend Thule as I think Hal will to. If you go to their website they have a fit guide, plug in all the info and it tells you exactly what you need. I have the 480 traverse kit with the 58" square bars. Each vehicle requires a different fit kit in most cases. Then have Hal check the info and you should be good. I actually went out to flea bay and found a seller who sold used equipment. Everything they sold me was practically new and I saved a couple hundred dollars. Hope this helps.

IMG_7767.JPG

I also used the Thule bars, no drilling required.  One thing you should know is that the less expensive square Thule bars will whistle quite loudly while you are driving.  I solved the problem by wrapping the bars in some foam for hot water pipes and zip tying them on.  The Rac a Rod is really the best way of carrying the rods on your car/truck.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/1/2018 at 4:57 PM, Surfratiam said:

Used shims to keep get it level. Has worked out great for 2 years.

2016_3_19_Racarod_1.jpg

2016_4_24_Outlander_1.jpg?w=850

Could you repost your solution?  I was battling this problem for 2 hours to no avail!  I’m trying to mount a 2 rod Racarod using 4 point Thule ski/snowboard mounts. The vehicle is a Impreza hatchback with dealer installed cross bars and roof rails. What’s the trick to leveling the front and rear racarod holders?  I’m really going nuts with this. Help!

13 hours ago, D1fishr said:

Could you repost your solution?  I was battling this problem for 2 hours to no avail!  I’m trying to mount a 2 rod Racarod using 4 point Thule ski/snowboard mounts. The vehicle is a Impreza hatchback with dealer installed cross bars and roof rails. What’s the trick to leveling the front and rear racarod holders?  I’m really going nuts with this. Help!

Hi

I forget where I purchased the Shim stock. I googled metal slotted shim and this stuff popped up and its what I used.

Grainger sells it, Amazon has some.

Hope this helps (I'm a hack, but it worked, took the pics today)

The part with the rod seats needed two different shims, the rod hold down part just needed one shim.

shim3.jpg.56aa7a861cdfa19fe57f95b50c92de99.jpg

Shim2.jpg.502cdcda3070d6e10e1e78091ecf1bbc.jpg

Shim.jpg.c768828a52f5846375e06d3f043dc6e4.jpg

Edited by Surfratiam

17 mins ago, Surfratiam said:

Hi

I forget where I purchased the Shim stock. I googled metal slotted shim and this stuff popped up and its what I used.

The part with the rod seats needed two different shims, the rod hold down part just needed one shim.

This is great, thanks!  I should of known I was going to run into this problem with the roof shape and the crossbars tapering. 

19 mins ago, Surfratiam said:

Hi

Looks good. Did you attach the Racarod directly to the crossbars?  I am using that Thule ski holder bracket set. 

5 mins ago, D1fishr said:

Looks good. Did you attach the Racarod directly to the crossbars?  I am using that Thule ski holder bracket set. 

I’m not familiar with that Thule  racket set. 

I bolted the Racarod directly on my crossbars. 

So The Racarod was  level the one side against the cross bar, the other was in the air. 

I inserted the shims so the side that was in the air was now supported by the shims (the shims are only under the side that was in the air). Then tightened the bolt/nut and made sure the shims were solidly in place. 

Being a hack, it worked out great (I got lucky). 

I did the Thule square bars and screwed the rack directly to the bars with the nut on top. Makes it a little harder to steal as you need small wrench to unscrew the nut instead of just grabbing vice grips or plyers. Also if your buggy is high and reaching your fishing rods is a challenge this is probably the lowest way to install.

AD0A6E45-D25C-4953-ACA9-9636A5325275.jpeg