Steve in Mass

2018 Vegetable/Fruit Gardening Thread.....

Rate this topic

572 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LobsterGuy said:

I planted them in May,

Well, that explains the diminutive size. My potatoes were planted mid April, and I considered that late, but that is what the weather allowed this year. No issue with a May planting, as my April planted potatoes will die back by mid August or so and cease growing any further, so you have plenty of time for yours to mature.

 

My guess on the yellow leaves is the lack of water and/or fertilizer. Be careful with too much nitrogen though, as too much and you will get all foliage and small tubers. Also, stay away from lime or other things that raise soil pH, as potatoes like a more acidic soil, and too sweet a soil promotes potato scab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scapes - Stopped at the local farmstand/store today and noticed they had their own garlic scapes. A "bunch" of perhaps 4 or 5 very small ones had a price of $3..............

 

Funny thing is that 10 years ago they didn't grow their own garlic or leeks, and I had a talk with Jim about doing so, and they decided to start the next year. Whether my conversation with him actually had any bearing on the decision, I have no clue. But now, the garlic and leeks are one of their best and most lucrative crops.They sell the garlic in all different stages from spring garlic that looks like scallions, to the scapes, to the actual garlic heads throughout the late summer and fall. And in the fall/winter, and even early spring for those wintered over, they get top price for their leeks.

 

But I should go into the scape business at that price, cause on Tuesday this week after I got home from vacation, I cut at least 60 of them, and much better than what I saw there.

 

Some are going in some wild NC  bought shrimp scampi with rice tonight...... :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

Scapes - Stopped at the local farmstand/store today and noticed they had their own garlic scapes. A "bunch" of perhaps 4 or 5 very small ones had a price of $3..............

 

Funny thing is that 10 years ago they didn't grow their own garlic or leeks, and I had a talk with Jim about doing so, and they decided to start the next year. Whether my conversation with him actually had any bearing on the decision, I have no clue. But now, the garlic and leeks are one of their best and most lucrative crops.They sell the garlic in all different stages from spring garlic that looks like scallions, to the scapes, to the actual garlic heads throughout the late summer and fall. And in the fall/winter, and even early spring for those wintered over, they get top price for their leeks.

 

But I should go into the scape business at that price, cause on Tuesday this week after I got home from vacation, I cut at least 60 of them, and much better than what I saw there.

 

Some are going in some wild NC  bought shrimp scampi with rice tonight...... :)

 

 

Just finished up with scapes.   Tried them so many ways and I’m still surprised at how good they are.  

I’ll be starting leeks next year again too.   Skipped them because I still had a lot of small ones that survived the winter.   They hung around into late spring before bolting.  Not sure if that’s typical or just the spring we had

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels like summer in the garden.  We have blueberries out the wazoo.  IMG_1147.thumb.JPG.a87322ea6a5443c7151be7d9d8adc638.JPG

 

And in about a week will be in the same boat with raspberries.  These were just wild in a fence row between properties, but I cleaned them up and trellised a few for better access. 

IMG_1150.JPG.486dd48e6f58516490d4fd0bbb6a07e8.JPG

 

This type of cabbage is supposed to reach basketball size.  It's soccer-ball sized now... As long as the bugs don't get to it too much I'll let it go and see how big it gets. 

IMG_1148.JPG.482370710cc1c2f244ef5b82b534ebf4.JPG

 

And the best part of summer....the first tomato is pretty close.  IMG_1149.thumb.JPG.4107521aa77b859015cc8805777e74e3.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.... this is my first time having a garden and I have some questions.  I took a couple of pics and I’m not sure what is going on with my plants.  I’m thinking maybe too much or too little water but I honestly have no idea.  I’m watering them with an oscillating sprinkler every morning for fifteen minutes.  This is in Ocean County.  For the most part it seems like every day I have more and more yellow leaves on everything and they look pretty sad.

 

The whole garden

2E243990-8719-46DA-B36E-328B1A29BEAC.thumb.jpeg.680e14829f3020d3715969da8fd45d39.jpeg9049994F-405C-478B-85E2-F1B34ED1BBA6.thumb.jpeg.3a731f6f5f52a7c56b9d9d4fe7bc93dd.jpeg

 

Eggplants

 

93D9CD69-4C55-4747-BF81-0FEAA019628E.thumb.jpeg.9c2df384b0c0e5921b7008f366b09759.jpeg

2A51391E-A8CE-4001-8944-B52131ECB303.thumb.jpeg.59a4965d4047d92c070da3913aad43eb.jpeg

 

Tomatoes

 

C802BF1D-0447-4A5A-87B5-C57B8FDBFFD2.thumb.jpeg.90f386211864fef68429a5fc7704926b.jpeg

5768D269-030D-477C-A674-A65665B638E4.thumb.jpeg.d1957a8edf0ddf3413c7bb8162d365be.jpeg

 

Cucumbers 

 

80AC6D49-6637-4BD6-B4E2-0810E405ADDE.thumb.jpeg.1c625788fe80f4eed3d57671fb5f07b2.jpeg

 

String beans

 

12CE1404-35A0-41A4-B0C4-0944D9829C32.thumb.jpeg.c84344036c1f6318ae6fe5a5e9334014.jpeg

 

422736C6-61A0-4231-B5E0-413E31D99880.thumb.jpeg.cd011e6b246d87073b10fa7197626990.jpeg

 

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jared 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Every day for 15 minutes" is your problem. You want long, deep waterings every 4-5 days (depending on weather.) The short shallow waterings are not supplying enough water to the roots and in the meantime promoting various leaf and stem issues such as yellowing, leaf spot, and early blight, especially with overhead watering from the sprinkler.

 

What you need to do now is pinch off any of the lower yellow leaves, then using a hose near the base of the plants, give them a deep watering. And then DO NOT water again for at least 3 days, more if you should get thunderstorms which are likely later this week.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JAO said:

So.... this is my first time having a garden and I have some questions.  I took a couple of pics and I’m not sure what is going on with my plants.  I’m thinking maybe too much or too little water but I honestly have no idea.  I’m watering them with an oscillating sprinkler every morning for fifteen minutes.  This is in Ocean County.  For the most part it seems like every day I have more and more yellow leaves on everything and they look pretty sad.

 

The whole garden

2E243990-8719-46DA-B36E-328B1A29BEAC.thumb.jpeg.680e14829f3020d3715969da8fd45d39.jpeg9049994F-405C-478B-85E2-F1B34ED1BBA6.thumb.jpeg.3a731f6f5f52a7c56b9d9d4fe7bc93dd.jpeg

 

Eggplants

 

93D9CD69-4C55-4747-BF81-0FEAA019628E.thumb.jpeg.9c2df384b0c0e5921b7008f366b09759.jpeg

2A51391E-A8CE-4001-8944-B52131ECB303.thumb.jpeg.59a4965d4047d92c070da3913aad43eb.jpeg

 

Tomatoes

 

C802BF1D-0447-4A5A-87B5-C57B8FDBFFD2.thumb.jpeg.90f386211864fef68429a5fc7704926b.jpeg

5768D269-030D-477C-A674-A65665B638E4.thumb.jpeg.d1957a8edf0ddf3413c7bb8162d365be.jpeg

 

Cucumbers 

 

80AC6D49-6637-4BD6-B4E2-0810E405ADDE.thumb.jpeg.1c625788fe80f4eed3d57671fb5f07b2.jpeg

 

String beans

 

12CE1404-35A0-41A4-B0C4-0944D9829C32.thumb.jpeg.c84344036c1f6318ae6fe5a5e9334014.jpeg

 

422736C6-61A0-4231-B5E0-413E31D99880.thumb.jpeg.cd011e6b246d87073b10fa7197626990.jpeg

 

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jared 

Yes, watering wrong, but looks like wood chip mulch been added to soil?   If there’s a lot of  wood might be depleting N.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks for the info, I’ll change up my watering habits.

 

The soil is a load of organic top soil, I didn’t add anything additional and the way it looks is how it came. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the rain we’ve had I’ve just started to have to water a week ago. I also do the deep watering tactic about an hour or two after sunset. That gives the water a chance to soak in deep before the next day’s sun sucks it out. For my area of Maryland it’s about every 3-4 days because of the heat and my box is under the sun from a half hour after rise until a half hour before it sets. I also plant in a raised bed so I don’t have the moon-aided water table to help, so in ground may be more infrequent. I have a cedar stake 1’ down in the back of the bed that I’ll pull up to see where the moisture is. It’s not so accurate for near the surface as rough cedar acts like a wick, but I’m more concerned with seeing how moist it is 1’ down. If I let it get to where the cedar isn’t visibly darker from moisture I waited too long to water and give it a little more than usual. 

 

My organic mix looks about the same. I haven’t had any N issues though. The chips are sparse enough (more apparent at the surface from watering disturbing it) and I used a light fertilizer at planting and a few weeks ago. At this point cutting back on the N would help make less trimming work for me. I’m trying to get the max out of a small area so I have to work to keep the plants with enough foliage and let enough light around the others. It’s a fun challenge. I’ve been adding ash from the smoker to boost the fruiting and it’s been working pretty well. I found a couple baby musk melons hanging while trimming last night and have a golfball sized eggplant with a couple smaller ones starting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any knowledge of the critter chomping on my leafy greens?

The pic is chard but I've had similar on the beet greens too.

I believe it's a small worm of sorts that appears to actually live inside the leaf.

0707182128.jpg

Edited by NaturalScience
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banner crop for snow and snap peas. 5 plus lbs 

Chard too. It was ridiculous. Been eating it for months and just harvested 8 lbs with more still out there.

Carrots are coming as well as cukes.

Zucchini hasn't been great this year. Much better last year.

 

Steve, in regards to the celery it's doing really well, kind of.  They have grown into really nice medium sized celery plants and also have begun contracting a fungus that is somewhat new to celery. I have begun treating it with an organic fungicide. I'll try and get some pics of them up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, NaturalScience said:

Anyone have any knowledge of the critter chomping on my leafy greens?

The pic is chard but I've had similar on the beet greens too.

I believe it's a small worm of sorts that appears to actually live inside the leaf.

0707182128.jpg

Google beet leaf miner..............

 

Some of the lower leaves of mine also look like that.

Edited by Steve in Mass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

 

Google beet leaf miner..............

 

Some of the lower leaves of mine also look like that.

That's it all right.

I'm not surprised as there seems to be an abundance of moths, butterflies and caterpillars this year.

Just picked about 20 green caterpillars off of my broccoli. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.