chessie_yaker

Who' taking advantage of early trophy season?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

T - 59 days! This year will be my son's first time fishing for Rockfish and in the early trophy season at that. He'll be 6 by then but I started him at 3 with a dock demon push-button and he's been hooked ever since (pun intended). We'll be down in the Tangier sound with a buddy and his family and we will be getting towed by rocks in our kayaks (hopefully). I'll be trying out the new spinfisher v medium 7' with some bucktails and plastics on heads. It will also be my first time stringing with braid (20lb spiderwire invisibraid) so it will be a big trip of firsts!

Where is everyone else going? Not looking for exact locations but general areas so we don't give the spots away.

Also has anyone gone crabbing down that way that early? I've always been told that they are light and muddy that early in the season but I'm debating bringing some traps down there.

In theory, anywhere closer to the mouths of the rivers will do better as they are running around the breeding grounds. Just remember to familiarize yourself with closed/catch and release areas if you are looking to harvest. Overall, Tangier sound is a great place to fish. I would hold off on the traps as crabs are not worth harvesting. 

I was afraid of that. We hit them in November and they were fat, sweet and plentiful. I’ll probably wait until June or July to bring the traps down there. 

Hopefully, it will be better than last year.

There are some fish around already (check out fellow yakker Alan Battista’s posts on FB) and slugs of bigger fish should start migrating over the next few weeks and that should go for a month or so. 

There was a yakker out fishing when I went a few weeks ago and he was getting a few. 

Thanks for the Facebook tip I’ll give his page a look. 

Yeah I did some charting of last years migration and they were already up to the far north spawning grounds by last week of March. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I hope we get one last good cold snap for the next couple weeks to keep the bay temp down enough to hold them out a little longer than last year. This warmer rain over the next few days won’t help that cause. Not that I want them to get slaughtered but I’d also want a couple big girls to be around while we are down there.