CC Rider

Taking 5 yr old fishing - need advice

23 posts in this topic

My 4 year old daughter has broken 3 princess rods, she caught her first crappie when she was 3 while camping at High Point state park. She throws the rod and reel in the water each time the fish is close to shore. I use worms to make sure she catches something, but she still gets bored after catching a few. Just happy to be able to fish with her. She still remembers the time she caught a crappie and I used it as bait and caught a 7 pound LMB. Priceless. 

my one piece of advice is DON'T bring a rod for yourself......  this is their trip, and having your own rod will only complicate things and may get aggravating for you both.  and be ready with snacks too- 

I’m gonna get my oldest girl after school today and take her to catch some trout hopefully. She is a trout slayer. Seems like every time I take my girls fishing the fish cooperate and we all have fun. Warm clothes, good boots, snacks and bait they can play with all adds to keeping smalls entertained. I like to bring a seat for them as well. For her eighth birthday in February I had CMS spiral wrap a jigging rod in her favorite colors and matched it with a Avet sxj in purple. I told her if she is gonna be my fishing buddy she needs better equipment for stripers and flounder. Counting the days till the boat goes in 

B7AAA635-35F0-4176-B341-8741B957A49D.jpeg

BDFDC148-16D4-4FA7-B593-4ECD401C6433.jpeg

Edited by giggyfish

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, Plug Em All said:

Just use a hook and a little bit of split shot on the line and get nightcrawlers for bait, he will catch sunnies, crappie etc. with those worms. Good luck and enjoy the 75 degree day. Tight lines!! 

And perch too.For trout fishing I always used a slip sinker to a swivel to a leader with a tiny treble hook.Make a ball of the dough style bait around the treble and cast it out.If you don't want to use trebles use single hooks,but very small.And do bring a rod for yourself.When you get a bite hand it to your son.Power Bait was always a consistent producer.

Let them bait the hook, cast, but may need help setting the hook. Bread balls on small bait hooks for children is the best idea. It's easy fishing with great results for people with zero to no patience. 

The key is take them to where they are catching mostly vs fishing mostly. Attention spans are short. Keep it fun. Trust me, it plants a seed. Did it with my boys. One of my boys stopped fishing for about 2 years(from 7-9) and then one day wanted to pick it back up and now he is more fanatical than my other boy. Teaching my wife’s daughter now to fish. I can tell she will be hooked. I saw something cool the other day:

”Get em a tackle box, not an X-box.” 

I couldn’t agree more.