CC Rider

Taking 5 yr old fishing - need advice

23 posts in this topic

Want to take my 5 year old son out freshwater fishing this week.  I am a novice in the salt and essentially zero experience freshwater. However he loves going fishing with me and is extremely excited to try freshwater.  He is psyched to use “real bait and REAL hooks” (he figured out last year I cut the tips off all the hooks I let him use).  Forgive my ignorance here, but wanted to ask all the more experienced folks if there is even a realistic chance at anything biting?  Probably will be throwing some worms from shore?  We are going regardless and I am just as excited, but want to have a basic idea about if anyone even does this. Thanks in advance

Took my 2 1/2 grandson to a concrete bulkhead by a little stream. Used breadballs on a gold hook under a bobber. Got some bluegills & pumkinseed bream. He was excited to use "real" hooks also.  I chumed a little.  Kept it short. Had a great time.

It would work as long as it isn't frozen. Note-you still need a license.

Good luck. 

Worm and bobber...keep it simple.  Use either barbless hooks or crush the barbs.  Depending on the kid's skill level, have him wear safety glasses (maybe you too).  When the boy says "enough", pack it up.  

FYI: Assuming you are going in RI, trout fishing closes the last day of February and re-opens the second Saturday of April.  As such, you CANNOT fish in a designated trout water during that time period.  The list is pretty long, so check it out   Refer to table 1.15 of RIDEM's Freshwater Fishing Regulations to see the list.  Seeing dad get hauled away in cuffs won't be a good experience!

Thanks greatly for the replies and info, much appreciated.  Great to hear folks are having some bites kid fishing. 

“Quack,” yes indeed in R.I.  I did read the regulations you mentioned and it will be this week only for freshwater.  Appreciate all the info though - And yeah, doing something illegal and getting cuffed and stuffed would not exactly be what I had in mind!  He was actually bummed he didn’t need his own license, heck I may get him one anyway.  Worm and bobber is the plan, bread balls, easy and relaxed, really the time together is the goal.  

Thanks greatly

When my kids were really young, and there was a chance that there might be no fish biting, i always kept my sessions short. Don't let them associate going fishing with boredom, or skunkings, or they will quickly become disinterested. Keep it fun, and teach them all the aspects, including baiting the hook, removing the fish, etc.

Their attention level will stay longer if you keep them involved, instead of just handing them the rod and saying, "watch the bobber". 

I was fortunate to fish a lake where there was also a playground nearby, so i would fish with them for a half hr, or more depending on the bite, and then bring a lunch or snacks, and let them play.

It's awesome that your son has a great interest and enthusiasm for fishing, it makes it a lot easier! Nuture his interest, and you will have a partner for life!  I never pressured my kids to go, just kept it fun, and i find them constantly wanting to come when i go out. My daughter has become my go to fishing partner! :heart:

IMG_0350.JPG

That is just fantastic. And excellent photo!  Yes I have brought kids with me a bunch and it’s pretty clear now daughter is not too interested in the actually fishing part (yet?), but son is super into it.  I agree it’s about the teaching and learning and making it interesting and fun for them. Kinda helps that dad is a noob and not far from the 5 year old curiosity!  That is so cool your daughter is your fishing partner - going to show that photo to my kids!  Thanks again and all the best 

My 9 yr old daughter will walk out to the lake and fish for a while, IF we stop at Subway and get her favorite sandwich 1st, and we can picnic lunch. She also likes to paddle our canoe...for about an hour. The absolute biggest motivator for her to actually fish is others around her catching fish. When her cousin/friends start catching, she immediately calls for her rod/reel. Taking the skunk bores/frustrates her to the point that I fear she won't go again. Catch something.

IMG_1965.JPG

18 hours ago, CC Rider said:

Want to take my 5 year old son out freshwater fishing this week.  I am a novice in the salt and essentially zero experience freshwater

At the end of the day you will be a Master Baiter.    I was with my kids. Ha ha 

Agree with all above posts. Keep it short and simple. I have two kids that started fishing very young and still love it. 

One thing I can add is: sunglasses are always required for my kids when fishing. The hooks go everywhere when young ones fish!

Just use a hook and a little bit of split shot on the line and get nightcrawlers for bait, he will catch sunnies, crappie etc. with those worms. Good luck and enjoy the 75 degree day. Tight lines!! 

Great that you're taking your son fishing! I don't suppose you know of any stocked ponds do you? If so, that could be a great place to start cause it's more sure-fire to catch something. Once a kid that ages catches his first fish he's pretty much hooked for life! I remember the first time I went fishing with my dad, I was about 3-4. We actually had a pond loaded with catfish. I ended up hooking a pretty nice one and even reeled it in myself on my little pole. Dad showed me the whole process from hook removal to cleaning and cooking the fish. I had a blast doing it, and been fishing ever since! I actually still have a photo of my dad, me, and that fish just before we cleaned it.

Edited by Sundewd

On 2/19/2018 at 3:25 PM, CC Rider said:

Want to take my 5 year old son out freshwater fishing this week.  I am a novice in the salt and essentially zero experience freshwater. However he loves going fishing with me and is extremely excited to try freshwater.  He is psyched to use “real bait and REAL hooks” (he figured out last year I cut the tips off all the hooks I let him use).  Forgive my ignorance here, but wanted to ask all the more experienced folks if there is even a realistic chance at anything biting?  Probably will be throwing some worms from shore?  We are going regardless and I am just as excited, but want to have a basic idea about if anyone even does this. Thanks in advance

Before getting them on the water teaching both my kids when they were 5/6 , I took them to the local ball field to cast with the Zebo , no hooks just a lead weight , after a few weeks practicing(  ice cream ,cookies party )  after every practice  they were catching fish at the pond & pops was not untangling the line . Worms &  bobber / float  Blue gills / Sunny were the target species