Fully Sealed Plug?

Rate this topic

IslandSurf

Sorry, IDK a thread.

Why change from the swivel hanger plugs you've been making? Not trying to discourage you, I'm just curious as to what the advantages of each type of construction are.

Except for 20, or so, kits I've assembled/finished, 'fully sealed' are all I make. Because I wasn't very involved in the fishing community, I just never encountered large wooden plugs with swivel hangers. By the time I figured out what other builders were doing, I was mostly happy with what I was doing.

One thing I have noticed....my 'fully sealed' tend to be heavier than comparable sized plugs I have traded for from other builders.

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here. Just start playing around with some plugs. The weighting will differ like Livefree said. Epoxy is denser then wood. Making hookhangers is prob the trickiest part, so start practicing them. I stick a nail in a bench vice and wrap on that. Fill the hole with epoxy and let cure. After that finish as normal.

(I can't remember who) said they were using a slurry of epoxy and sawdust to get a nice taper over back tail wrap. If I remember correct, they said it held   it's shape well, and didn't slump much before setting. I imagine a slower setting epoxy, used like that, would be pretty durable.

I use plumber's putty, (after I've sealed the wood body, and done wiring) when putty sets, a quick sanding/shaping, and another coat of epoxy before paint

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018 at 8:25 PM, adson said:

Plumbers putty or plumbers epoxy that you mix ?

It's a cylinder of material...part A on the outside, Part B inside. Cut off a wad, knead it, and mold it. You have like 15 minute before it hardens too much to further mold.

Marketed as Plumber's Putty, but it's really epoxy. And yeah, there's also plumber's putty that is actually putty and doesn't harden