Wampire

rod length suggestions

28 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, Got that scrambler 11 I was talking about a month ago or so. My question is, what size rod lengths are best? My go to plugging rod is a 9 foot Tsunami airwave. Should I be looking at more to the 7 foot range for use out of a kayak? Just looking to pitch bucktails, sp minnows and poppers for blues and striper really. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Almost all of my kayak rods are 7’. I have a 12’ Hobie Outback. I’d watch the length of the butt section too before buying. If it’s too long it’s hard AF to use comfortably with the kayak unless it’s cut down. Also if you go too short, you can have an issue going around the bow when fighting a fish.

Edited by Pma531

35 mins ago, Pma531 said:

Almost all of my kayak rods are 7’. I have a 12’ Hobie Outback. I’d watch the length of the butt section too before buying. If it’s too long it’s hard AF to use comfortably with the kayak unless it’s cut down. Also if you go too short, you can have an issue going around the bow when fighting a fish.

Agree

I use  a  7 foot rod with my scrambler. It works well. Good luck with your rod selection. I like the 1 piece ugly stick tiger lites :)

Just now, dbjpb said:

I use  a  7 foot rod with my scrambler. It works well. Good luck with your rod selection. I like the 1 piece ugly stick tiger lites :)

Yup, if you loose it no big deal, and it takes a beating, and can handle anything on the yak in Jersey!

I tie my rod  flat to the deck for launches and landings. I keep the reel in a dry bag with some lures. Best surfing fishing kayak on the planet. Also light weight. 

1 min ago, dbjpb said:

I tie my rod  flat to the deck for launches and landings. I keep the reel in a dry bag with some lures. Best surfing fishing kayak on the planet. Also light weight. 

For beach launches I hope!

4 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Just bought one on BST, heard so many good things about it on here, can’t wait to try it.

Wampire im in the same boat. I want to get 2 new rods one for fluke and tog and panfish and one or 2 for stripers and blues. I just don't know what to do. 

2 hours ago, fishguts430 said:

Wampire im in the same boat. I want to get 2 new rods one for fluke and tog and panfish and one or 2 for stripers and blues. I just don't know what to do. 

I break out down thus:

1 rod for stripers, blues, deep tog

1 rod for fluke, shallow tog, large/smallmouth bass, lake trout, schoolies, weakfish maybe albies

1 rod for panfish, porgy etc

What's your budget? 

Budda not to sure what the budget is yet. I am very.... Very hard on my gear so im thinking rods in the 60 or lower range and spend the good money on decent reels. I have an 8 ft tide master i csn use for fluke and pan fish so im thinking one rod for striper and blues that can throw up to one ounce plugs and one rod for snag and drop baits maybe im not sure lol