jason colby

Switzerland becomes the first country to make boiling live lobsters illegal 'because they feel pain'

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, glos said:

no, I would still kill every shark and keep all fish that I catch, unless they are endangered

but this thing is different

OK that's what I expected 

9 hours ago, captahab416 said:

Im always surprised by your takes, wouldnt of expected you to say that, unless this is sarcasm then I stand corrected. 

I don't disagree with some of it. I avoided veal for a while years ago, despite loving it. Because I'd see how they were raised, living in dairy country, and didn't like it much. Veal is related to dairy...whadda you do with excess male calves? You turn them into veal. There's a premium on tender, and the younger the better. You don't want them exercising much to get max tenderness. So the prevailing practice used to be small shelters with little room to move. It weren't much of a life. The industry's changed some, there's a lot more raising in group pens, which is better. And some people raise in somewhat free-range fashion. It's different kind of veal though, because the most-desired and priciest is the milk-fed veal.

download.png.448d55d4047dda8d42a29d1a2d744054.png

Edited by patchyfog

2 mins ago, patchyfog said:

I don't disagree with some of it. I avoided veal for a while years ago, despite loving it. Because I'd see how they were raised, living in dairy country, and didn't like it much. Veal is related to dairy...whadda you do with excess male calves? You turn them into veal. There's a premium on tender, and the younger the better. You don't want them exercising much to get max tenderness. So the prevailing practice used to be small shelters with little room to move. It weren't much of a life. The industry's changed some, there's a lot more raising in group pens, which is better. And some people raise in somewhat free-range fashion. It's different kind of veal though, because the most-desired and priciest is the milk-fed veal.

download.png.448d55d4047dda8d42a29d1a2d744054.png

Compared to other meat industries veal is nothing in regards to cruelty and overall filth. That's why I'm trying to become a better hunter/fisher

17 mins ago, patchyfog said:

...whadda you do with excess male calves? You turn them into veal. There's a premium on tender, and the younger the better.

Not a veal expert here... but I wonder why they send the youngest and "creamiest" meated calfs (3-30days) to the hot dog plant. Supposedly, this "bob veal" gets used as hot dog filler--despite meat so tender it practically falls off the bone of living animals. You'd think Bob Veal scallopini would be the destination, not fenway franks

15 mins ago, captahab416 said:

Compared to other meat industries veal is nothing in regards to cruelty and overall filth. That's why I'm trying to become a better hunter/fisher

I know. I wish I could totally avoid industrial agriculture.

I've always had a certain seriousness about killing things, and the bigger the animal, the more serious it gets. Killing a deer is bittersweet to me. I hunted right around my house alot, some of those I shot I could ID. It's kinda nice to be able to say...we coexisted peacefully for 2-4 yrs, and you lived a natural life.

Them lobstas lived good lives too, but it's time for the pot. Those disgusting cannibals.

1 min ago, rst3 said:

Not a veal expert here... but I wonder why they send the youngest and "creamiest" meated calfs (3-30days) to the hot dog plant. Supposedly, this "bob veal" gets used as hot dog filler--despite meat so tender it practically falls off the bone of living animals. You'd think Bob Veal scallopini would be the destination, not fenway franks

I didn't know that. Maybe it's too time-consuming to fully butcher the real small ones for what you get?

56 mins ago, patchyfog said:

I didn't know that. Maybe it's too time-consuming to fully butcher the real small ones for what you get?

Apparently the meat too tender.

According to this butcher:

"What about Bob veal? Is it tender? Yes, very tender. So why not use it? It is so young it hasn't developed any real flavor and it is almost too tender where the meat is jello-like."

Yeah hard pass for me on jello-meat. ..though no doubt a bunch of those tasty dogs and sausages I enjoy contain bob veal filler.

Stuff goes for 10 cents a pound 

20180219_105229.png.7e7aded79aa22004bff289313e801d50.png

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

Apparently the meat too tender.

According to this butcher:

"What about Bob veal? Is it tender? Yes, very tender. So why not use it? It is so young it hasn't developed any real flavor and it is almost too tender where the meat is jello-like."

Yeah hard pass for me on jello-meat. ..though no doubt a bunch of those tasty dogs and sausages I enjoy contain bob veal filler.

Stuff goes for 10 cents a pound 

20180219_105229.png.7e7aded79aa22004bff289313e801d50.png

Wow there's more money in handlining for mackerel than in bobs.

It is an interesting debate. I have seen the chefs in Provincetown do two things. 1. lobster held head down in a pot of boiling water for 40-60 seconds, then into the steamer. 2. sharp knife behind the eyes, and split the shell and then into the steamer.

I use #1.

I am not sure if lobsters feel pain, but going from living to dead can't be a great transition. So making sure it is as short as possible is the best I can do becasue I am not going to stop eating lobster. Making laws mandating stuff like this is crazy.

On 2/18/2018 at 6:44 PM, PaddyCrabby said:

I have only heard the big ones rattle around for 20 minutes or so when steaming.....

I drank a beer.

Oh please, 5 minutes max! :)

18 mins ago, StriperZ said:

I just realized that raw oysters are alive when you eat them, maybe. :)

Their not.....They drown in the cocktail sauce before hand!.......;)