coastalfreak

223 for deer?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Thats what I figured. My uncle hunts with a win. 1894 in 30-30 here in georgia. Shots wont taken far, about 80 yards max. I feel like a 30-30 in a marlin 336 would work. 

2 hours ago, quonny said:

I have said this twice in this post. The bottom of the selection IMO is 6mm class. I would stay away from anything in .224. I would also stay away from rounds like the 30-30. Yeah I know it has killed more deer than anything. Lost more too. I am a handloader so I tended to go with the 30-06 handloaded down a bit. Outside of the 06, I would use the 308, 270, 7mm-08, any of the 257 loads, or the 25-06 ( but they are prone to throat erosion). I guess I would try something new( always like to justify my reasoning). I would do the 308, or the 7mm-08. No way could you go wrong with either of them

How about the .260 Remington?

I've taken a deer using a 7.62×39 

It worked but I won't be doing it again not enough mass in the projectile. The bullet fragmented on the edge of the shoulder bone, part of it pierced the aorta but another bit bounced up and cut the spinal cord. Dropped like a stone. The deer still had a full bladder when I field dressed it.

I really got lucky with that shot, it could just as easily been wounded and run off.

I stick to my venerable Rem 760 pump in 308 for brush and Rem 700 in 30-06 when the shots will be a bit longer.

(I should be saying I used to - we lost our hunting land in Upstate to a club who rented it out from under us)

Edited by Sudsy

40 mins ago, Slammer said:

The .260 is for all intents and purposes the same as the 6.5mm Creedmoor, the new boutique caliber for range and deer.

30 mins ago, Kima said:

The .260 is for all intents and purposes the same as the 6.5mm Creedmoor, the new boutique caliber for range and deer.

Low recoil,shoots flat.What's not to like?

3 hours ago, quonny said:

I have said this twice in this post. The bottom of the selection IMO is 6mm class. I would stay away from anything in .224. I would also stay away from rounds like the 30-30. Yeah I know it has killed more deer than anything. Lost more too. I am a handloader so I tended to go with the 30-06 handloaded down a bit. Outside of the 06, I would use the 308, 270, 7mm-08, any of the 257 loads, or the 25-06 ( but they are prone to throat erosion). I guess I would try something new( always like to justify my reasoning). I would do the 308, or the 7mm-08. No way could you go wrong with either of them

30-30 is a reasonable round for sub 100yrd but always preferred the .35rem in 200gr. which by far I’ve taken the most deer with, I have an A-bolt chambered in 7-08 but rarely use it upstate unless I’m hunting property where I need to reach out, however any deer I’ve taken with the 7-08 with a 140gr has dropped fairly quick

15 hours ago, Farflung said:

costal freak- I agree with most of the above re: it is a marginal caliber. If you have the perfect broadside shot, it will do fine. But deer are seldom that cooperative. I think .243 is a little light but it will work most of the time.

IMO the focus should be shifted to bullet pacement and projectiles, not cartridge stamp, brand or brand etc.

A 95 grain ballistic tip in .243 will work every single time it is poked through the vitals of any deer that ever lived.

Ditto the 223 and a partition or ttsx solid of any weight/size.  

Some guys take crap shots, others shoot too far, and then there's a stick or twig or a deer that steps forward or...  

Deer just arent har to kill, and  dead is dead.  Thats a fact.  Chose a gun you like, and shoot it well, and choose a good bullet, and you'll kill deer the same whether its a .22 hornet or .338 wm

All of that said, the advice you got re the American and a 243/708/308 etc is all perfectly sound and non of those will do  you poorly.

I chose the x7 in 7-08, fwiw, which is no better than an American in 243 at killing deer . 

If you are going to use a projectile that is light (subjective term) or small (any 

Oh, I'll add that you should spend some $ on a decent scope (very easy to do now in the $180-300 range) and spend WAY WAY WAY more time and effort on hunting craft than on balistics and long distance shooting.

6 hours ago, Slammer said:

If you were to draw up one from scratch, in virtually every regard this is the ideal 'deer cartridge" .  At least IMO.   I 'designed it" as a teen, only to find that I was late to the game (jim carmichael and a few others) by about a generation!  

Its moot, as the creedmore and ... ah anyway it doesnt matter.  There's a slew of great cartridges.  IMO just stick it in a gun you like and use a good bullet. 

Edited by 55555s

6 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I've taken a deer using a 7.62×39 (aka .223)

It worked but I won't be doing it again not enough mass in the projectile. The bullet fragmented on the edge of the shoulder bone, part of it pierced the aorta but another bit bounced up and cut the spinal cord. Dropped like a stone. The deer still had a full bladder when I field dressed it.

I really got lucky with that shot, it could just as easily been wounded and run off.

I stick to my venerable Rem 760 pump in 308 for brush and Rem 700 in 30-06 when the shots will be a bit longer.

(I should be saying I used to - we lost our hunting land in Upstate to a club who rented it out from under us)

a) no its not 'aka'.  two really different cartridges.  

b) the mass of the projectile wasnt the issue (regardless of which round you used), the issue was the construction of the bullet. 

c) the 760 in 08 most crtainly is venerable.  Nice gun to own.  

d) 'brush' busting bullets are a fallacy, but brush guns arent.  You didnt say this, but I just fellt like adding it . 

5 hours ago, Kima said:

yeppers...

Which is for all intents and purposes a 6.5x55 swede, or 6.5 arisaka, or 6.5x 53 or...

its funny how we've bascially come full circle from rounds used 100+ years ago.

Maybe had there been better bullets available for the 25's, we'd have stopped at the 250 savage?  (nah, I doubt it)

Edited by 55555s

Well, there is a lot of info being thrown around here. Personally, I cannot comment on the 260 or the 6.5 Creedmore. There are lots of great caliber selections out there. I would look for something that is good all around, and not going to weaken too much if there is some distance involved. I would stay away from 22 caliber cartridges and the 30-30. The 30-06, 308, 7mm-08, 270, and 7 X 57 will give you great all around performance. Boutique cartridges do not have great resale. If you were a handloader, a 375 H&H magnum is a great bullet. Inherently accurate over a broad range of loadings, but the factory ammo is way more than ever needed. This would need to be tamed downward with handloads. Just my .02  

4 hours ago, 55555s said:

a) no its not 'aka'.  two really different cartridges.  

b) the mass of the projectile wasnt the issue (regardless of which round you used), the issue was the construction of the bullet. 

c) the 760 in 08 most crtainly is venerable.  Nice gun to own.  

d) 'brush' busting bullets are a fallacy, but brush guns arent.  You didnt say this, but I just fellt like adding it . 

A) True, but in the context of this conversation it pretty much is

b) The amount of deflection of a lead tip copper jacketed hunting round, caused by grazing a relatively light bone, is the issue and that's a matter of mass

c) Agree, love this gun

d) Nothing to do with going "through" brush - you should never do that ! The high possibility of deflection is cruel to the animal and potentially dangerous to other people. It does have everything to do with the distances you'll be shooting. I like the 760 in places I know the shot will be 100 yards or less.

19 mins ago, Sudsy said:

A) True, but in the context of this conversation it pretty much is

b) The amount of deflection of a lead tip copper jacketed hunting round, caused by grazing a relatively light bone, is the issue and that's a matter of mass

c) Agree, love this gun

d) Nothing to do with going "through" brush - you should never do that ! The high possibility of deflection is cruel to the animal and potentially dangerous to other people. It does have everything to do with the distances you'll be shooting. I like the 760 in places I know the shot will be 100 yards or less.

I also fail to see how a 30 caliber bullet is pretty much the same as a 22 caliber bullet...

22 mins ago, Kima said:

I also fail to see how a 30 caliber bullet is pretty much the same as a 22 caliber bullet...

I don't know if that comment is directed at my comment that I would stay away from .224 cal, and the 30-30 or not? If it is, I do not put them in the same class at all. I would say in general a .224 is too light, and there are simply better 30 cal. selections than the 30-30, like the 30-06 and the 308. Even the 300H&H.  Also there are better smaller cartridges than the 30-30. Namely the 270, 7 X 57, and the 7mm-08.Again, just my opinion