coastalfreak

223 for deer?

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

So I'm looking for my first deer gun. My dad recently bought a smith and wesson m&p and i was wondering if that would be a viable option for deer. He will be willing to loan it to me and I plan on using Federal Fusion or Trophy Bonded. Any help would be appreciated. 

I have not hunted in years, but my personal opinion is that I would not consider anything less than 6mm(243) for deer. I am not sure but somehow I think there may be restrictions on 22 cal  loads for deer in certain states. I am sure that the caliber will work fin with a head shot, but IMO it is not the right caliber. 

The 223/556 isn't enough for deer unless the conditions are perfect , 6mm/243 and up is the way to go ,

A Ruger American in 308 would be my go to in the  lower price point guns available to day ,

2 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

So I'm looking for my first deer gun. My dad recently bought a smith and wesson m&p and i was wondering if that would be a viable option for deer. He will be willing to loan it to me and I plan on using Federal Fusion or Trophy Bonded. Any help would be appreciated. 

Check your states hunting regulations to see if it's legal to use. You can kill a deer with ease but it's all about bullet placement. Your margin of error is very slim with a 55-75gr bullet. 

If you Google your question, you will find a lot of information on the subject. Pros and cons, but IMO it is not the right caliber. Actually I have a 22-250, and I would not consider that. Especially, if there is any distance involved. I do think some states regulate the use of 22 calibers for deer. As I said before, I would start with 6mm(243), 7mm-08,25-06, 308, 30-06, 270, and any number of other great choices. Magnum calibers like 7mm and 300WM and up are not needed

I shot one with a 22-250 from 125 yards and it dropped on the spot. I was using a handload with a 60 grain Nosler Partition bullet. It was a max load. 

In the future the lowest I'd go is a 270. I just wanted to see if it could be done with a 22 bullet.

costal freak- I agree with most of the above re: it is a marginal caliber. If you have the perfect broadside shot, it will do fine. But deer are seldom that cooperative. I think .243 is a little light but it will work most of the time. 7mm-08 and up will give you that margin of error. you want something that will punch through the front sholder bone and go out the other side, making a big enough blood trail (hopefully short) to be followed in poor conditions.

Having said that I know of a retired game warden who hunted with a .223, taking only close in standing and bedded shots. He said he never lost a deer with that gun. 

2 hours ago, biggstriper said:

I shot one with a 22-250 from 125 yards and it dropped on the spot. I was using a handload with a 60 grain Nosler Partition bullet. It was a max load. 

In the future the lowest I'd go is a 270. I just wanted to see if it could be done with a 22 bullet.

270? many many suitable rounds smaller than a 270 that fit the bill

1 hour ago, Slammer said:

6mm/.243 is the minimum.

I have said this twice in this post. The bottom of the selection IMO is 6mm class. I would stay away from anything in .224. I would also stay away from rounds like the 30-30. Yeah I know it has killed more deer than anything. Lost more too. I am a handloader so I tended to go with the 30-06 handloaded down a bit. Outside of the 06, I would use the 308, 270, 7mm-08, any of the 257 loads, or the 25-06 ( but they are prone to throat erosion). I guess I would try something new( always like to justify my reasoning). I would do the 308, or the 7mm-08. No way could you go wrong with either of them