Uncle Stu

DIY Kastmaster spoons

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

With a bum shoulder, left handed spin casting is the name of the game right now. Experimenting with some DIY Kastmaster clones with hand tied bucktails on single  saltwater hooks. Got #striper on my mind. These are 1.5 oz spoons... Too heavy?

IMG_20180213_215804_788.jpg

5 hours ago, derangler said:

Those look just fine.  How exactly did you DIY them?

oh--ordered 20 chromed blanks with a ring on each end. tied my own bucktails on nice saltwater hooks, and added a swivel on the front end. the blanks run about $2 each which saves me some coin. is that DIY? I guess some of yall must cast your own spoons... now THAT'S DIY.

3 hours ago, gcjeep14 said:

They look good and let them swim, always have one or two with me. 

I like metals for big surf, when you need to stay back from the shorebreak, and the raging current will keep them off the bottom.

5 hours ago, rrocco said:

Look great to me. Reel spooled with braid and the right rod will cast a mile.

Me too on the braid. I haven't used mono in years--I hate the stretch of it.

On 2/14/2018 at 4:47 PM, Uncle Stu said:

oh--ordered 20 chromed blanks with a ring on each end. tied my own bucktails on nice saltwater hooks, and added a swivel on the front end. the blanks run about $2 each which saves me some coin. is that DIY? I guess some of yall must cast your own spoons... now THAT'S DIY.

Can you send me the link to the blanks you purchased?

6 hours ago, nycstripers16 said:

Can you send me the link to the blanks you purchased?

Search for this on FleaBay: KastMaster Kast Master Type Jigs

Looks like there is a MUCH better selection of sizes now than there was last year. Story of my life. 

On 2/14/2018 at 4:47 PM, Uncle Stu said:

I should order a bunch of these.   I looked at a couple at the Wallymart and got scared off by the $9

I got time, hooks, rings, bucktail......but $9 (or $7 for the 1oz)....I aint got time for that. I generally use the spoons/tins I find snagged on logs/mussel beds/etc....clean 'em up, replace hardware. 

i casted some from lead years back and painted them white. Worked like a charm but the paint came off too easy.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:47 AM, Uncle Stu said:

can you DM me where you got them from?  I wonder if they have bigger?

9 hours ago, keale said:

can you DM me where you got them from?  I wonder if they have bigger?

I was wondering the same thing. I found them on fleabay but not the 2-3oz I was hoping to find.