How much do eyes matter on a lure???

Rate this topic

codfish

I recall reading a book the referenced a study that stated eyes matter greatly. Most predatory fish hit prey head first. This is to prevent the preys spines and fins getting caught in their throat. This is why many baitfish have a "false eye" on their tails. If a predator mistakes their tail and the false eye as their head, the prey has a better chance of escaping.

Many strikes are reactionary, so the predator really doesnt have time to discern heads from tails. But in the instances they do, having eyes on your bait "should" help. If the predator cant discern head from tail it may leave the bait alone.

If i can find the study ill post a link, but what I posted above was basically the short version.

1 min ago, Baitbucket said:

I recall reading a book the referenced a study that stated eyes matter greatly. Most predatory fish hit prey head first. This is to prevent the preys spines and fins getting caught in their throat. This is why many baitfish have a "false eye" on their tails. If a predator mistakes their tail and the false eye as their head, the prey has a better chance of escaping.

Many strikes are reactionary, so the predator really doesnt have time to discern heads from tails. But in the instances they do, having eyes on your bait "should" help. If the predator cant discern head from tail it may leave the bait alone.

If i can find the study ill post a link, but what I posted above was basically the short version.

I can see this mattering if the bait is still.

If it's swimming, the fish can tell the head from tail. 

Banned in Florida

17 mins ago, Sparky said:

I can see this mattering if the bait is still.

If it's swimming, the fish can tell the head from tail. 

You would think..

There are also some who believe that eyes are bad. If the bait can see the predator, the prey flees. Thats why most predators are ambushers. Prey with a false eye on the tail, the predator gets confused, the prey has eyes on both ends.. Prey then sees predator and escapes.

Edited by Baitbucket

Great question . . . I'm sure there are situations where eyes on a plug/lure may be more productive.  My personal experience is I've been using a white Lordship Slim Jim less one eye and it has not impacted the effectiveness.  In many cases, it outfishes my two eyed plugs.  

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

Fish see and eat fish with eyes all day long , just like we know what a hamburger looks like with a bun and without, but even without a bun we still eat it.

Its a presentation, I think at times it could matter for instance on a very slow presentation in clear water. I was fishing 8 1/2" paddle tail jigs in Green Mackeral on an unpainted/ eyeless jig head, still caught Many fish in one day.

Bass are predators and like to hit a bait headfirst. Eyes in my opinion give them something to key in on when attacking. I don't know if it actually makes a difference but its worth it to me. 

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333