OK Trident Ultra 4.3...rod storage?

14 mins ago, kinghong1970 said:

Kross57,  i do recall speaking to a dude *hint* with cartman avatar *hint* stating anything over 24" is wide... so yea... anything outside of what you get from South Africa is a barge to your bum... eh?

hahaha

on the 4.3, the rocker made it fun over waves and chop... 

the revo kinda punches through waves... the 4.3 you get the mini roller coaster ride... that was fun...

Yes, it's easy for me to think every kayak is wide. But the 4.3 did seem a bit like a battleship. The old Prowler 13 is only an inch skinnier but seemed a lot livelier.   

9 hours ago, Bulldog said:

One more thing Black dog, the center hatch is about as water tight as they get ,with a large air filled gasket all around and four rubber straps the make it tight,.....Jack

Jack

Thank you for all that info.  Very useful to me.  The rod tube installs without cutting?  If so, how dies that occur if the center hatch is a solid compartment?.

It's interesting that your 2014 4.3 is 69 pounds.  That boat, stock, is supposed to be 58.  Does OK weigh the bare hull before accessories, tracks, foot braces, etc are added?  The new model after 2014 is supposed to be 69 pounds.  I wonder what that weighs when you take delivery of it.

Oh also, sorry, a couple more questions.

As a "beamy" boat, are you easily able to stand and cast on still water?

And....what is the New Zealand seat?

Edited by blackdogfish

The Great Big Jig in the Sky...Shine on you crazy diamond jig.

rsz_2aa17withhook.jpg

7 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

Jack

Thank you for all that info.  Very useful to me.  The rod tube installs without cutting?  If so, how dies that occur if the center hatch is a solid compartment?.

It's interesting that your 2014 4.3 is 69 pounds.  That boat, stock, is supposed to be 58.  Does OK weigh the bare hull before accessories, tracks, foot braces, etc are added?  The new model after 2014 is supposed to be 69 pounds.  I wonder what that weighs when you take delivery of it.

Oh also, sorry, a couple more questions.

As a "beamy" boat, are you easily able to stand and cast on still water?

And....what is the New Zealand seat?

NZ seat:

Image result for ocean kayak ultra 4.7 new zealand seat

its actually quite comfy...and stays put... does not move around like those detatchable seat... 

for rod pod, you need a hole saw... not sure what size it is... but plan, plan, plan and measure, measure and measure before cutting...

goop at the inner flange then mount screws or rivet

Yellow Eyed Devils
There's no Sense in Nonsense!

I'm sorry I stand corrected again, I'm not sure why I post, but this will be the last in the this thread, the Trident Ultra is a unimpressive battleship or even a barge, at 29", putting rods easily below deck is not really a smart thing.

You do have to cut a hole with a hole saw to put rod tube in, an although an expert considers it a barge, I wouldn't say it is a "beamy" stand up fishing boat. If stand up fishing is what you are looking to do, I would look for something else, although there will disagreement there also. Good luck with your choice, you can PM me if you need anything else, take care boys!.....Jack

Just wanna fish!
DMS#1157    NCBBA#11293     NJBBA#4597

Yellow Eyed Devil from the beginning!

9 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I'm sorry I stand corrected again, I'm not sure why I post, but this will be the last in the this thread, the Trident Ultra is a unimpressive battleship or even a barge, at 29", putting rods easily below deck is not really a smart thing.

You do have to cut a hole with a hole saw to put rod tube in, an although an expert considers it a barge, I wouldn't say it is a "beamy" stand up fishing boat. If stand up fishing is what you are looking to do, I would look for something else, although there will disagreement there also. Good luck with your choice, you can PM me if you need anything else, take care boys!.....Jack

I'm not sure why you get so insulted. You said "Beats the hell outta tying stuff down on the deck, or trying to put rods in the front hatch."  I'm no expert, but I don't agree. Never said putting rods below deck isn't a nice option. 

And, compared to most USA kayaks, 29" is a narrow width. But compared to most of the kayaks used in other parts of the world, it is very wide. For whatever reason it seemed slower to me than the Prowler 13.. But I don't own one, and first impressions can be misleading.

The Trident Ultra 4.1 does look awesome. It's all good. 

8 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

A barge?  Really? Why?

I was the one with the "barge" comment. My kayaks are super skinny, so it's easy for me to say that. But I did not intend to insult the Ultra  or Bulldog. Sorry if I sounded like a d*ckhead. At 29" the kayak is actually at the lean end of most USA boats. Plus, Bulldog has one, I don't. It just seemed wide and slow to me the one time I tried it.  I do believe the rod pod storage is nice but not at all essential.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Good luck with your decision!