Wire For Fire

Making your own pork

Rate this topic

119 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Cool , post some pics when ya get a chance .. wouldn’t mind some chartreuse and red rinds 

The red came out good. The green came out way darker than I was shooting for. I still have a bunch of white, I should try for some chartreuse. I'll get some pictures later this evening.

Here's a few examples of my finish products. The shapes aren't the most beautiful things, but they swim and flutter great. Next time I might make a cookie cutter type thing to get more uniform shapes out of them. I let them sit in the dye for a few days, then rinsed really well. I jarred them up then changed the water after a week or so because some of the dye still leached out. But that was months 6+ months ago and the water is still clear, even with the black ones. The dye really doesn't get on anything unless you really rub it into a piece of clothing or something. I haven't noticed anything stained that I didn't want stained.

0209191728.jpg

23 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Here's a few examples of my finish products. The shapes aren't the most beautiful things, but they swim and flutter great. Next time I might make a cookie cutter type thing to get more uniform shapes out of them. I let them sit in the dye for a few days, then rinsed really well. I jarred them up then changed the water after a week or so because some of the dye still leached out. But that was months 6+ months ago and the water is still clear, even with the black ones. The dye really doesn't get on anything unless you really rub it into a piece of clothing or something. I haven't noticed anything stained that I didn't want stained.

0209191728.jpg

man they look great!  putting this on my project list for sure.  thanks for all your efforts and documentation throughout the process for us.  much appreciated.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, Misled said:

man they look great!  putting this on my project list for sure.  thanks for all your efforts and documentation throughout the process for us.  much appreciated.

My pleasure. Going back through this thread makes me want to do it again. Maybe I'll find my way to the Asian market this weekend. As far as jarring the finished product, the jars I found to be the best are craft / slime jars I found on Amazon. I tried the urine sample cups but the lids kept breaking. The 4 oz. jars I found are almost the same dimensions as the uj jars, and so far they haven't shown any signs of leakage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BCLF26V/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by chitala383

Yea going back plastic jars like mayo or peanut butter would of been better as long as you can get them sterile clean. The lids on my glass jars are starting to rust after a year 

26 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Yea going back plastic jars like mayo or peanut butter would of been better as long as you can get them sterile clean. The lids on my glass jars are starting to rust after a year 

when i watch my bucher scrape the skin,he had tools like 1/2 barell 55 galon drum,and scraper was 4" metal cone,5" high,he trow the skin on drum and holding the cone in hand and scraping.

the outside skin he had boiling water,he trew cup on the skin and scrape that hot area,this way he did all outsize skin,inside skin no water scraping to size what he liked.

i think you should make the first scraping close to finall product ,after marinading it get soft,harder to scrape.

6 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

The lids on my glass jars are starting to rust after a year 

Put a piece of saran wrap over the mouth of the bottle then screw the lid on.  That should keep the brine/salt away from the lid.

I used pickle jars without any rust issues my first time around and I plan to do the same this time. Which, btw, I picked up another 2.5lbs of pork skin today.

Just now, chitala383 said:

I used pickle jars without any rust issues my first time around and I plan to do the same this time. Which, btw, I picked up another 2.5lbs of pork skin today.

Lol setting your grand kids up with rinds for life ? That’s one ton of strips .. I literally fished one strip for all most 3 weeks of daily fishing and lots of catching  till a fish finally managed to rip it off .. this one pound I made will last me 5 yr easy if it doesn’t go rancid 

55 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Lol setting your grand kids up with rinds for life ? That’s one ton of strips .. I literally fished one strip for all most 3 weeks of daily fishing and lots of catching  till a fish finally managed to rip it off .. this one pound I made will last me 5 yr easy if it doesn’t go rancid 

Haha. I'll give some away to friends for sure. Maybe I'll do a free giveaway here too.

2 hours ago, chitala383 said:

Haha. I'll give some away to friends for sure. Maybe I'll do a free giveaway here too.

Yea give aways a great idea .. we need more around here to keep them winter blues at bay .. 

If anyone bakes pork and beans in the oven...….this is the piece you trim off the bottom of the salt pork and it's already salted for you. (So if you have beans every Saturday night all winter you'll have a freezer full of strips by spring.)