Wire For Fire

Making your own pork

Rate this topic

119 posts in this topic

This is also 3 weeks old.

It is fresh skin topped with some smoked skin from slab bacon.

Few pieces still have nipples on them. I choose those with purpose to see if they may bring extra action on the end.

Pork02.jpg

Pork03.jpg

On 3/25/2018 at 9:22 PM, Popasilov said:

Jones Farm market

Old Country rd in Plainview

$1.29 per lb

H and y Korean market right down the street also has it .. I live right there  and is where I got mine .. 

also I quick whip this up in the shop the other day .. should make scraping much faster and easier on the hands.. sharp as hell .. my two jars looking good.. hoping to get one last scraping in this weekend .. and cut them to size and rejar for last  the  time 

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

Hello,

New guy here.  I found this site while searching for a replacement for fluid loss on my Uncle Josh baits.   I have read that any home made brine will eventually blacken so I am following your progress with high hopes.   BTW, I have been buying new old stock Uncle Josh baits in white (demand and price is not as high as other colors)  and using leather dye to color them..So far it has worked well. 

We don't have any striped bass in Washington but think there is common knowledge to be shared by all bass fishermen.  Good Luck with your project.

Edited by 2tall79
link to commercial site

11 hours ago, Popasilov said:

That will make cleaning easier for sure.

I use old cleaver with cut of handle.

I see a lot of scraping in your future .. that skin looks meaty..  check h and y .. it was like 99cents for a lot and almost all the fat trimmed off nicely.. less scraping is mo better .. that pig skin is tough as hell 

50 mins ago, BrianBM said:

2tall79, the house rules that you didn't read bar posting links to commercial sites. Don't do that.  RTeffinR, OK?

Got it.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

I see a lot of scraping in your future .. that skin looks meaty..  check h and y .. it was like 99cents for a lot and almost all the fat trimmed off nicely.. less scraping is mo better .. that pig skin is tough as hell 

O yes

Lots of scraping.

It was from whole pork shoulders.

I bought 3 of them

4 weeks since my last scraping and here we are. They look good. The meat side is a nice bright white while the skin side is a boneish color. They're quite pliable now, much more so than last time. 0406182236.thumb.jpg.d8824309c13790366be1d939c4e53888.jpg

This is what two of the pieces look like before the second scraping. Part of the larger one is pretty thin and wound up ripping while I was scraping. It's so thin it's almost translucent.

0406182238.thumb.jpg.87e293c98361334ef693e25cbbeafdff.jpg

0406182258.thumb.jpg.ad8ac48351a86715c418a822a012816a.jpg

And here's everything I have at this point. Some of them I trimmed slightly.

0406182309.thumb.jpg.df8ca06d6f1ed765df92af508a8bd66e.jpg

I haven't had a chance to get dye yet, so back in the jar they go.

0406182318.thumb.jpg.749d46030af7ce8b6f35520340cce482.jpg

Once I get some dye I'll probably give them one more scraping and then cut them to shape and dye them. I'm thinking I'll leave some natural, then do some red, green, purple, and maybe yellow. I guess it depends on how many strips I get and how crazy I decide to get with it. I have a feeling I'm gonna get quite a bit out of this though.

On another note, any recommendations on what shapes to cut? Just straight strips, tapered, double tail... Does it really matter? Or maybe I should just experiment and see what happens.

I am impressed with all the work you are putting into this.  Uncle Josh had machines to do all the work you are doing.  If they had to do it all by hand, a jar would have had to cost so much more.  Congrats on your efforts to get what you want.  They look good.

Thanks NJT, it definitely is a lot of work. Funny, I was thinking the same thing last night while I was scraping my last piece and my arm was ready to fall off. If I was to sell them they'd be like $50 per jar. Haha.

Looking good .. mine still sitting in jar waiting for second scraping..  just been so busy .. hoping today or tomorrow I get them scraped and maybe cut to shape and jarred last time..  I probably leave most of it white but red would be nice too .. curious on what you use for dye and how it come out 

I've read that rit dye is the best. I found a thread about it at one point, I'll have to search again. I'm gonna check out either Michael's or hobby lobby and see what they have.