Wire For Fire

Making your own pork

Rate this topic

119 posts in this topic

49 mins ago, OU812 said:

Agree with getting them very cold (easier to handle). Just had a thought. To save your wrist hand, would one of these work?

CA143B38-9F81-452E-921B-27F81BE4E531.jpeg

I don't think so.. these I had already trimmed most the fat off  and been soaking in brine 4 weeks . Just needed More scraping on both sides.. tried a kitchen knife first and wasn't scraping so good.. went with razor blades held with rag and worked well .. just had to really scrape at them . Specailly the skin side 

34 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Mine have been in the brine for 3 weeks now. I too have been crazy busy. I'm hoping to open them up before the end of the weekend.

Yea man snap some pic.. maybe you figure something I don't or vise Versa..  

I tried this several  times in last few years and didn't work for me.

After few days, I would open jars and eat all skin.

Sauteed with garlic, potato and smoke pork bones. for about 2 hours and than baked in owen for about 35 minutes.

Damn, make me hungry again.

I tried this several  times in last few years and didn't work for me.

After few days, I would open jars and eat all skin.

Sauteed with garlic, potato and smoke pork bones. for about 2 hours and than baked in owen for about 35 minutes.

Damn, makes me hungry again.

No need to go to Asian market, if you do not have one close by.

Just stop at your local Stop & Shop or what ever you have around and talk to butcher. They will always leave you pork skin for small charge..

Just ask them.

Finally got around to opening up my jar tonight. Exactly 3 weeks in.

0308182125.thumb.jpg.5a9da585e300f794ac9c807808c835b8.jpg

Here's a side by side of scraped vs unscraped skins. Upon removing them from the jar they were quite tough and stiff. But after about 5 minutes of scraping they became quite pliable. I would imagine that this would get better with time.

0308182138.thumb.jpg.e7c5041e824f6b20d76a43e761fcdc72.jpg

Here is the same unscraped piece from the previous picture after being scraped.

0308182146.thumb.jpg.3086115ed83ae982d6b02779ea6d5330.jpg

Rinsed the skins, Rinsed the jar, fresh salt water in the jar and skins to back in for at least another 3 weeks. So far so good. They do seem a little thin, but maybe they'll absorb some brine and thicken up. If not I'm not really worried about it.

0308182200.thumb.jpg.7c23114058d775128aae5a439cf3e8ed.jpg

And if anyone was wondering, the beer is Simtra, from Knee Deep Brewing Co. It's fantastic.

This brings back memory, did this 60 years ago as a kid when cash was tight, butcher would give you a slab for nothing , l would nail my peaces to a board and scrap away pretty much what you guys are doing along with salting them down, it's a slow process, but you will get there, what l used for coloring was an antiseptic Mercurochrome or iodine for red and Indian ink for black, back then the 3 items was in everyone's home.

l will keep following this post to see how this progresses. :read:

Just wanted to bump this up. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since my last scraping. Hopefully the baby will sleep tonight and let me open up my jar and do a final scrape.

On 2/12/2018 at 0:37 AM, chitala383 said:

I've been thinking about trying this. There's an Asian market that's supposed to be good right down the road from me. I should check it out.

H MART in ny