The Riddler

Inflatable PFD and personal locator

62 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kross57 said:

I have to ask, what's the advantage? I understand that traditional inflatable vests offer less vest when uninflated, which is nice in hot weather. But this one seems to have as much coverage as a typical PFD.  

I agree.  No floatation around the head either.  For paying 200 bucks I would rather have that extra flotation that comes on type 5 with type 2 performance. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just ordered this very hard to find Core manual pfd. Onyx recently discontinued or changed its design and added $50 to the price.

Screenshot_2018-05-12-16-11-26-1.png

Edited by cheech
Edit

Just bought one from bass pro.  On sale for $89 from $114 last week.   Looks great.  Manual or auto inflate.  Which is nice. I will test it every year to and Spend the $20-$30 I think it was for replacement cartridge.  Good idea for a backup if you’re out there in open ocean but for the salt ponds and estuaries etc that I am typically in this should be fine. If not I’ll snorkel my way to shore! Rather have this one that I’ll actually wear instead of a hot one that will sit in storage.

Keep it on auto. 

You could get run over by a boater, knocked unconscious and unable to pull the handle.

These will not auto-deploy from a splash or a momentary submersion - such a slip/recovery on slick ramp etc

I once flipped hard, in nasty conditions, with kayak barely floating ... as mind raced over things to do, it was nice when it auto inflated.

Had mine for 5 years. The regular PFDs (w foam inserts) dont come anywhere close in comfort.

The only thing to be aware of - when inflated, these feel like they are trying to strangle/choke you, so tight around the neck area.

Do rotate the cartridges every 2 seasons, jump in the water with the old one and have it inflate, nice training excersize

Riddler, Curious how you made out with your inflatable vest. Did you use it for wading as well as kayak? Did you ever have to inflate it? I'm thinking of getting one for a particular inlet I deep wade in. The current there has almost swept me off my feet several times. My Chinook is way too bulky to wear as a wading vest and hot as hell in the yak in the middle of August.

I wear it in the boat and just started wearing it again for winter fishing. I have yet to inflate it. It has a manual and auto.

Looks cool. My old tan Extrasport Osprey Fishing PFD should be put out to pasture during the hot months.   

5c36322670319_ExtrasportOspreyKayakFishingPFD2019.jpg.420ac46061acf585bf9081f003baf8b0.jpg

Switching to this lightweight 50n  buoyancy aid vest on the yak last summer was a revelation. While not USCG compliant, 50n of float is an accepted standard elsewhere. A past thread titled 'buoyancy aid or USCG pfd' goes into more detail. 

Screenshot_2019-01-09-12-39-40-1.png

1 hour ago, cheech said:

Switching to this lightweight 50n  buoyancy aid vest on the yak last summer was a revelation. While not USCG compliant, 50n of float is an accepted standard elsewhere. A past thread titled 'buoyancy aid or USCG pfd' goes into more detail. 

Screenshot_2019-01-09-12-39-40-1.png

But but but ... where do the radio, Tums, smokes, lighter, phone, camera, pliers, knife, energy bars, sunscreen, flies, tippet, mirror, whistle, flares, toothpicks and inners go? :scared:

I must be in the minority I love my stolquist Paded PFD (4 yrs and counting) and find it to be comfortable when all straps are tight on my torso. Can imagine fishing without it. I Don't feel right without it and when it’s hot...it’s hot I don’t care what I do or don’t have on, shorts T-shirt and sandals....I  sweat. 

And like brad says I need my zipper pockets for all the same items. Those pockets are so easy to access and close up.  

For me, In the winter time I am too constricted with a standard PFD and Drysuit, Waders, Dry Top and multiple layers. Stiff and can't move. It's a relief to have the inflatable to move around. Different story when I wear just a shirt with a type III or top with farmer john.

I love my Stolly side entry too, the 16# 14oz's of float is most reassuring. It's just too hot some days in July and August when it feels like a London broil is strapped to my chest.

53 mins ago, The Riddler said:

For me, In the winter time I am too constricted with a standard PFD and Drysuit, Waders, Dry Top and multiple layers. Stiff and can't move. It's a relief to have the inflatable to move around. Different story when I wear just a shirt with a type III or top with farmer john.

Huh.  I only use my inflatable during warm weather, and during the day (and in the skiff, but that's another story).  Otherwise it's my regular PFD, even though it's a little more restrictive when I'm in really cold water season.