Theseeker66

Cleats for waders

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.I'm looking for a set of cleats. Spend most of my time in the sand so use bootfoot waders, but would like to be a little more comfortable on the local jetties. Appreciate any input Thank you

Duplicate this in the Buy Trade Sell, make up a WTB (Want to Buy) thread.  or

There are some ice grippers on sale at this time here in the north-east, check them out.

Peace.

You don't want ice grippers. The rubber things that stretch over your feet are no good. You want korkers. They strap on with a clip, the old model is tied on with laces. You need the korker to be solid and not loose. Last thing you want is too lose grip and slip on a jetty.

The korkers are the go to brand

2 hours ago, Bow3022 said:

You don't want ice grippers. The rubber things that stretch over your feet are no good. You want korkers. They strap on with a clip, the old model is tied on with laces. You need the korker to be solid and not loose. Last thing you want is too lose grip and slip on a jetty.

youd say? Any particular series?

Just screw Kold Kutters into the bottom of your boots. They last ~50-100 outings before needing to be replaced, but they are super cheap. You can get 250 of them for $20. I used them all of last year with no issues and they add almost no bulk or weight to boots.

Orvis has some real nice screws. I think they were $27.

They're not corkers but are pretty good. I used them as replacements on my felt bottom boots

2 hours ago, Theseeker66 said:

The korkers are the go to brand

youd say? Any particular series?

I dont think i can name a series for you. I think it depend on what kind of rock formation is around your area and how many studs you prefer. I use korkers k1100, the lace up kind. Served me well on the jetties i fish.

4 hours ago, xjclint said:

Just screw Kold Kutters into the bottom of your boots. They last ~50-100 outings before needing to be replaced, but they are super cheap. You can get 250 of them for $20. I used them all of last year with no issues and they add almost no bulk or weight to boots.

What kind of boots,and what length Kold Kutters?

20 hours ago, Theseeker66 said:

Hello everyone.I'm looking for a set of cleats. Spend most of my time in the sand so use bootfoot waders, but would like to be a little more comfortable on the local jetties. Appreciate any input Thank you

Not sure if you considered a korker wading boot instead of over cleats. I spent over a decaded in the  over shoe type cleats (korker1100’s). They are functional and safe but truth be told they are a little clumsy and heavy. Personally i think you are better off with a lace up boot with a cleated sole. Stability and overall safety are better. 

7 hours ago, cashews121 said:

What kind of boots,and what length Kold Kutters?

They work in any kind of boot but you'll want the 3/8". Any longer and they will go into the main part of the boot. I find they bond best to felt but I had them in redingtons and beans no problem.

1 hour ago, redfin said:

Not sure if you considered a korker wading boot instead of over cleats. I spent over a decaded in the  over shoe type cleats (korker1100’s). They are functional and safe but truth be told they are a little clumsy and heavy. Personally i think you are better off with a lace up boot with a cleated sole. Stability and overall safety are better. 

Honestly down here what I'm calling jetties are groins. Pretty flat, only gets really sketchy when the tides up. Was trying to see if I could get away with spending $70 instead of $200 plus on boots and wading pants. However I'm sure your right, better to just bite the bullet and get korker boots

39 mins ago, Theseeker66 said:

Honestly down here what I'm calling jetties are groins. Pretty flat, only gets really sketchy when the tides up. Was trying to see if I could get away with spending $70 instead of $200 plus on boots and wading pants. However I'm sure your right, better to just bite the bullet and get korker boots

I would honestly just try the screw in kold kutters. You can buy a smaller pack too. If you mainly fish beaches, they will last forever and you won't have to worry about buying new boots or remembering another piece of equipment.

16 mins ago, xjclint said:

I would honestly just try the screw in kold kutters. You can buy a smaller pack too. If you mainly fish beaches, they will last forever and you won't have to worry about buying new boots or remembering another piece of equipment.

Is this something I can screw into Waders or rubber boots? They seem a good option

Yes you can. Do a web image search for kold kutter wading boots and you will see a lot of threads about them. They aren't the hardest metal so walking on rocks or pavement often will wear them down, but if you fish beaches mostly and need to use them for groins and jettys you will have no issues.