Rate this topic

Sandbar1

6 hours ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated. I didn't realize I was "squeezing" in with that much open space, but I guess the guy to my left felt crowded. The OP in this thread suggests a pole distance between fishermen, but I'm not sure how far apart the poles are? I'm a truck driver so I just use the length of my rig as a rough measurement. My truck hooked to a '53 trailer is a bit over 20 yards long, so the guy to my right was about a truck length away, and the guy to my left was about 1 1/2 truck length. When I stepped in there I took note of what the guy to my left was using, but I did not take into account how he was using it. After watching him awhile I realized his method must be very effective. Most guys I see using pencils cast out and reel back in immediately, but this guy was keeping his lure out there in front of the fish for a much longer period of time per each cast. I definately learned something by watching him and I'll be giving that a try next chance I get, but in my case, hopefully nobody downstream from me.

It is probably more like 75 to 100 yards between poles.   Which is a good guideline as a guy throwing a 3 oz pencil can probably cast 60 to 80 yards easily.  Some good ones but not many more like 90 to 100.  If you are 20 yards away, his plug is by you before he even reels in his slack.  If either of you hooks a fish neither one of you is casting until that fish is really close to the rocks since you never cast over someone reeling in a fish.

And yes,  casting onto breaking fish and allowing your plug to remain in the strike zone as long as possible is infinitely more effective than burning the plug back in especially with pencils.

DITCH TROLL

6 hours ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Thanks for that info. Much appreciated. I didn't realize I was "squeezing" in with that much open space, but I guess the guy to my left felt crowded. The OP in this thread suggests a pole distance between fishermen, but I'm not sure how far apart the poles are? I'm a truck driver so I just use the length of my rig as a rough measurement. My truck hooked to a '53 trailer is a bit over 20 yards long, so the guy to my right was about a truck length away, and the guy to my left was about 1 1/2 truck length. When I stepped in there I took note of what the guy to my left was using, but I did not take into account how he was using it. After watching him awhile I realized his method must be very effective. Most guys I see using pencils cast out and reel back in immediately, but this guy was keeping his lure out there in front of the fish for a much longer period of time per each cast. I definately learned something by watching him and I'll be giving that a try next chance I get, but in my case, hopefully nobody downstream from me.

It is probably more like 75 to 100 yards between poles.   Which is a good guideline as a guy throwing a 3 oz pencil can probably cast 60 to 80 yards easily.  Some good ones but not many more like 90 to 100.  If you are 20 yards away, his plug is by you before he even reels in his slack.  If either of you hooks a fish neither one of you is casting until that fish is really close to the rocks since you never cast over someone reeling in a fish.

And yes,  casting onto breaking fish and allowing your plug to remain in the strike zone as long as possible is infinitely more effective than burning the plug back in especially with pencils.

DITCH TROLL

4 hours ago, troutworm said:

We can post about canal etiquette til' our arms fall off,and the nit wits will

still be there,just as they will be in the woods during hunting season and at

the lakes and ponds when we are freshwater fishing,boating,etc.So grin

and bear it ! 

Yeah those guys will always be around but there are also some guys who want to give the canal a shot and are willing to listen to some helpful advice to make it a better experience for everyone. I only recently started on the canal but it was important to me that I understood how to correctly/ethically fish it before I ever got there. 

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

43 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Good to know. I'll have to try this when I have some space to myself. I never try to burn in a plug but I normally fish a steady thrashing retrieve.

Edited by Sandbar1

Chasing false echoes

DITCH TROLL 333

8 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Yeah I'm not really in the high-speed pencil club. I see a lot of guys just rip their plugs in.. practically airborne....like they were trying to raise a wahoo.

A lot of the activity I'm casting ay only extends about 10 or 15yds in from where my plug lands. Then I gotta get it up on plane.. which takes a few yds. So I start with the slow lazy back and forth dog walk, like an exhausted mack poking its body up ..back and forth into the air.. just before it gets off'ed. Stays in the kill zone longer. Sometimes they want a little speed though.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Typical scenario.

2am, throwing jigs in the dark, all alone. Not another soul for 1/2 mile. Guy(s) walk behind you on the service road, just as you land a 20" fish.  The only hit you've. Without hesitation, the guy descends on you like a hungry dog on raw meat,  sets up 15' from you putting you right out of commission.

The Sultan of Sluggo

When he gets down close enough to you and see you I am sure he will turn around and head back up the hill, screaming there's Ghost down there

Just take the light and stick it under your lower jaw and start to scream back :laugh:

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 11:06 PM, Sandbar1 said:

Yeah those guys will always be around but there are also some guys who want to give the canal a shot and are willing to listen to some helpful advice to make it a better experience for everyone. I only recently started on the canal but it was important to me that I understood how to correctly/ethically fish it before I ever got there. 

Thanks- that would be me.  Haven't fished the canal since moving here but have a little familiarity fishing close quarters from the tailwater striper (rockfish) fishing back home in Tennessee.  Lots of good ideas in this thread.

A question:  Where do canal folks gut their keeper?  When I'm in an area where the water's moving along, I'll make a donation to whatever will eat it.  If a busy spot and/or quiet water, I don't feel like I need to leave a mess for others.  I live 1-1/2 hours from the canal, so I'd prefer to have a keeper well packed with ice before heading home.

On 2/13/2018 at 3:40 PM, bob_G said:

Typical scenario.

2am, throwing jigs in the dark, all alone. Not another soul for 1/2 mile. Guy(s) walk behind you on the service road, just as you land a 20" fish.  The only hit you've. Without hesitation, the guy descends on you like a hungry dog on raw meat,  sets up 15' from you putting you right out of commission.

Take a look at this cluster:

100_3449.JPG

Trout opening day 'fun' at a state park in the Ozarks.  Totally stupid to be there on those days, but I've done it a couple times.  Same issues for timing of casts and using the same presentation.  Drifting wet flies or dough balls doesn't mix with fast retrieve of jigs or Rooster Tails.  

On normal days in these trout waters, you usually have your own space but every once in a while there's some bozo that watches you catch a couple fish then comes over and crowds you out just like your 2am canal scenario.  My Dad's best friend had a tactic for this:  He kept a cheap spare rod handy and would cast across the offending line, apologize, reel it in and fumble around while making a mess of the lines, apologize again, then offer to be the good guy and cut his own line.  He'd grab his good rig and resume fishing.  Never had any problems with anyone getting angry when he grabbed the other rod, but I don't think anyone would mess with a 6'5" 290 lb cowboy anyway. :rav:

Perhaps the crowds won't be too bad when the weather is nasty- should at least cut down on the number of people who might be bigger bozos than I am.

Edited by Ventura

From my 'limited local' 8+ seasons of working the canal, even the wisest of other canal fishermen...like the Gibby Gangs ...will crowd you out.

Everyone down there down there does it, and its all "part of it"

I really don't mind actually, and sometimes these experienced fishermen, although very close to you, will work with you... if you cast in unison working the currents together for plug drifts.

Its the really dumb ass fishermen --that they call 'googans' who cast over your line that needs to recon with...and even then a friendly word may help...or not.

But the downright unacceptable behavior is the bikers who pull over during breaking fish excitement and cast over your head from the service road in your space. Those guys I will not give one second of tolerance....and lay in a verbal assault....and then cast my own sacrificial lure right over their set...."Combat fishing" at its best! :)

1 hour ago, FishRatz said:

and then cast my own sacrificial lure right over their set...."Combat fishing" at its best! :)

As you should. Those guys take it from rude and annoying to downright dangerous.

Casting over people is a big NO.

Chasing false echoes

DITCH TROLL 333