Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slammer

Anybody fish the Neko rig?

13 posts in this topic

I tried it a bit...but found 

Scoobydoo rigging floating worms wacky rigging them off center gave a better effect.  more life and more natural.

Rigged with the hook in the right spot the tail will rise until the nose touches bottom....looking just like a neko rig.    Nose hook it and you have a better shakeyhead

I like the neko presentation so I liked being able to imitate it wihtout pegging weights and losing them when a bait tears.

Slammer, the Neko rig is a great little set up, and is awesome on tough days or bluebird sky conditions. I use them a lot for smallmouth, cause that's where they seem to shine, in rocky or sandy bottoms. But, don't be afraid to throw them around cover, cause they'll draw fish out too! 

You can use the with a variety of worm styles but, I usually stick to a 6" straight tail, like the Zoom trick worm. These worms have the desired action I like, and tend to last longer than some of the softer plastics on the market. Just my .02.

I use all VMC products for rigging, as the have weights and hooks, specifically designed for the technique. I like the size 2 hooks, and 1/16 oz nail weights best. I buy size 36 O rings at the hardware store in bulk (plumbing section). Just slide the O ring onto the worm from the tail end, and slide it up to the egg sac area of the worm. Push a weight into the tail, as straight as possible, and then stick the hook under the O ring, and it's ready to fish!

I also like to use 10# braided line, with a 8# fluorocarbon leader. It really helps with bite detection with the braid. Hope this helps, and good luck with it!

4 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Slammer, the Neko rig is a great little set up, and is awesome on tough days or bluebird sky conditions. I use them a lot for smallmouth, cause that's where they seem to shine, in rocky or sandy bottoms. But, don't be afraid to throw them around cover, cause they'll draw fish out too! 

You can use the with a variety of worm styles but, I usually stick to a 6" straight tail, like the Zoom trick worm. These worms have the desired action I like, and tend to last longer than some of the softer plastics on the market. Just my .02.

I use all VMC products for rigging, as the have weights and hooks, specifically designed for the technique. I like the size 2 hooks, and 1/16 oz nail weights best. I buy size 36 O rings at the hardware store in bulk (plumbing section). Just slide the O ring onto the worm from the tail end, and slide it up to the egg sac area of the worm. Push a weight into the tail, as straight as possible, and then stick the hook under the O ring, and it's ready to fish!

I also like to use 10# braided line, with a 8# fluorocarbon leader. It really helps with bite detection with the braid. Hope this helps, and good luck with it!

This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for.Thank You very much.

One thing to add when o ringing baits.

Double up the o ring.  that way the hook is perpendicular to the bait....where as if you use a single it would be parallel...makes a diff when using lighter rods.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:26 AM, Yumeya said:

I just use a shakey head with a floating worm.... :)

Thanks,I found a shakey jighead with a flat bottom that I think will work with a floating worm nicely.

I've tried the neko rig... kind of. What I do is a "poor man's neko". I don't like products that are a one usage type of deal... such as "neko weights". What I did what I got some O-rings to slip over the worm about in the middle. For the weight I found some spare screws with a bit of weight to them and used these as neko weights instead of buying them. Ran a finesse WG hook full shank under the O-ring beneath the skin of the worm. While I haven't caught anything yet, it's a neat little rig. I have caught bass (albeit small ones) on a general dropshotted wacky rig using KVD finesse worms though. Either way can work, it just depends on the day, and how the bass are feeding.

Edited by Sundewd

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:10 AM, Sundewd said:

I've tried the neko rig... kind of. What I do is a "poor man's neko". I don't like products that are a one usage type of deal... such as "neko weights". What I did what I got some O-rings to slip over the worm about in the middle. For the weight I found some spare screws with a bit of weight to them and used these as neko weights instead of buying them. Ran a finesse WG hook full shank under the O-ring beneath the skin of the worm. While I haven't caught anything yet, it's a neat little rig. I have caught bass (albeit small ones) on a general dropshotted wacky rig using KVD finesse worms though. Either way can work, it just depends on the day, and how the bass are feeding.

Perfect,I had a friend of mine give me an assortment of small screws and nails to play with.I have the O-rings already for wacky rigs.

If you don't have O rings tie some braid at same place you would use O ring, works pretty well, did this first time I heard of Neko setup and didn't have orings. caught 2 fish on it and was still functioning.

Yes, I love fishing a Neko rig. Mainly throw 3 inch stick baits on it. My best tip is to have your local bait shop trade the original curved hooks for sickle hooks. You’ll rarely lose fish on them and you get better hookups too.