Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rick7

Butternuts

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Down here in central ocean county NJ we have alot of bait in the water.Not peanut bunker,but baby butterfish.Seems to have a resident population of preditors with them.This post is just ment to add a new word to the fishing dictionary..... Butternuts biggrin.gif

I will say that they are alot tuffer to get in a castnet than bunkers,they tend to stay deep!

------------------

Rick

I remember getting some of those on a cast net in a marina a couple years back. You just cast net some and then put them on your hook and throw em' right back into the water and you had big fluke, 4-8 pound weaks, and 5-15 pound bass. This was all in a marina too!

Rick,

Are these Butternuts a light silver color and can be seen darting around in the shore break? I saw some little fish yesterday that I could not identify. The waves were washing them up onto the beach and they would swim back into the ocean with the receeding water. They are very hard to see. You really have to look for them.

[This message has been edited by PAUL1 (edited 08-21-2000).]

That is what the NUTS around here have been doing ,periodically beaching them self to avoid demise.They are a great all around bait,but purdy darn small right now!

Paul,

Yes, I think those are butterfish. I have seen them late in the summer and thought they were tiny pompano until I looked at them more closely. Many juvenile fish are kinda hard to identify so they may have been juveniles of another species, but I'm leaning with butternuts.(Isn't a butternut a squash?)