Subaru Owner

fluke07

2015 and later Outback & Forester owners', anybody having issues with SRVD malfunctioning, especially after airing down and driving on beach/off-road. 4th time it has happened to me, 1st 2 times, dealer had to reset the system, 3rd time ( which was last week), they replaced the unit on left rear side, after I showed them a Subaru Repair order that I found on line indicating the units were defective. Asked why they only changed the left, answer I got was " It was not working properly" . Took a ride to beach on Monday, same issue again "SRVD malfunctioning, check owner's manual". Bringing it back in to dealer on Monday.   

Didn't make the appt., flu hit the house, :shock:, going in for service on Friday. Will post results. My 1st question to them will be,  if you knew the left side detector was no good, why didn't you replace the right side at the same time ( assuming that is what is wrong this time) we shall see.

So I drop the vehicle off at 8:00 am, at 3:30, I get a call from service rep asking if it is ok to remove my 2017 IBSP BB sticker on the rear bumper, :shock:. I ask "what does that have to do with anything?" She says the service tech thinks that if there is a reflective backing on sticker, it may be interfering with the detector. I tell her that it has been on the vehicle for a year, besides that there are 2 others, one  from 2016, why would they be interfering with detector ONLY when I drive on the beach and not all the time. She can't answer that question. Then she says "you put an after marker hitch on the car, that might be the issue". :mad: I tell her that's been on the car since 2015, it just doesn't start being a problem the last 2 times I had it on the beach.   

She says they will look at it some more and get back to me. At 4:30, she calls back and tells me they didn't remove the stickers, they pulled the bumper off and redid the test on the detector and reset it. and it is working properly now. I didn't pick up vehicle until 7:30 so I did not get a chance to speak with service rep. Plan on calling on Monday to get a full explanation. But I may take it on the beach first and see if the problem comes back.  Not liking where this may be going.

Translation:

we don't know what's up with this wiz-bang technology and are grasping at straws!

We have a '17 Forester without all that new fangled stuff. Like the car except for one thing, the TPMS system is not self learning, like both of our newer Jeeps. So if you use a separate set of winter tires on steel rims, even when you have installed the OE Subaru TPMS sensors, you STILL have to have the dealer re-set it whenever you swap tires/rims or put up with the blinking yellow light. On the Jeeps, self-learning, Is that so hard for the Asian auto makers to figure out? 

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 Selectrac

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra

The Blind Spot Detection system on my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee will sometimes temporarily shut down as I drive down the beach. I think it's caused by the sand being thrown up by the tires confusing the sensors or it thinks they are dirty. The system returns to normal on the next start.