chessie_yaker

Opinions on jig heads with strong hooks

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Dan thanks for the feedback but I think whats missing in the conversation is the need to match up not just the hook strength but the rod, main line, leader. For me I use a rod rated to 20 lb, 17 lb braid 20 lb fluorocarbon leader so there are more options when choosing a hook, just my two cents again thanks for your feedback:)

Edited by codfish

You can make the shank long or cut it.  Use any hook you want.

549853BC-3653-453F-96C7-DC127B4D7DE8.jpeg

D535EDF9-3755-4595-A101-F658EEFB82EE.jpeg

17 hours ago, chessie_yaker said:

I’m looking for some input on strong jig heads. I run 3/8-1/2oz heads with 3/0-5/0 and I’ve had a hard time finding them with strong hooks. The last thing I want is to have another bend out when I hook a monster. Thanks in advance!

check out conquest jigs on a big auction site. Awesome surgical stuff. Cheap. Stay away from kalins. 

42 mins ago, squidwontons33 said:

check out conquest jigs on a big auction site. Awesome surgical stuff. Cheap. Stay away from kalins. 

I'll have to look into those.  Thanks for the heads up.

1 min ago, Dan Tinman said:

I'll have to look into those.  Thanks for the heads up.

Im sure yours are just as good. I recently found out I had a few of your wine red bucktails... seriously amazing stuff!

1 hour ago, codfish said:

Dan thanks for the feedback but I think whats missing in the conversation is the need to match up not just the hook strength but the rod, main line, leader. For me I use a rod rated to 20 lb, 17 lb braid 20 lb fluorocarbon leader so there are more options when choosing a hook, just my two cents again thanks for your feedback:)

You're right but the trend today is over kill on line strength and lock down the drag.  The next likely point of failure is the hook.  That's why all this emphasis on strong hooks.  I'm old school.  Some of my reels even have monofilament on them yet.

3 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

I've been lurking on this thread all morning.  Time to put my two cents in.

First, there are no standards in the hook industry.  A manufacturer can call any hook anything it wants and any size it wants.  That makes legitimate comparisons difficult.  Most of these hook strength discussions end up being mostly just opinions based on individual experience.  

I have always hesitated to offer opinions on hook strength because it would be just that, an opinion backed up by just my own experience.  With all that in mind I started to do some testing and research on just that subject, hook strength.  Right now this is a work in progress.  It's no where near finished.  I started by collecting as many of the readily available jig hooks as possible leaving out the obvious light wire low strength varieties.  Next I laid them all out on a chart showing manufacturer, style and size (as specified by the manufacturer).  Here's a picture of it.

5a7c9d60b19b3_Jighookssizecomparison.thumb.jpg.92722f7c8133105c6a1ff5b5eec455da.jpg

As you can see the only manufacturer that makes a full line of jig hooks is Mustad.  By full line I mean both 60 degree and 90 degree eyes, long and short shank and extra sharp extra strong black nickel plated hooks.  All the other manufacturers fall far short of this list.  If you look at the chart you'll see what I mean about standards.  Actual size of hooks of the same advertised size from one manufacturer to another varies considerably.  That alone would make a fair comparison impossible.  After taking pictures etc., I went to the next step.

Because of obvious gaps in sizes and types from one manufacturer to another the logical thing to do was limit the tests to the most complete size ranges possible to include as many manufacturers as possible.  This narrowed things down to the 3/0, 5/0 and 7/0 hooks.  I poured heads using those size hooks mostly bullet heads and a few Smilin' Bill types, three of each.  That is what will actually be tested.

At this point an actual test device is needed.  I built a test rig using a hand operated jackscrew to apply the load and a digital readout luggage scale to read the loads.  I don't have pictures of that yet but will when the tests are finished.  The digital scale has an upper limit of 100 lbs.  That should be sufficient for the purposes here.  A hook that'll hold up to more than that has got to be acceptable for our purposes.  The poured jig heads with the selected hooks will be tested using a 90 lb cable leader to attach the head thru the eye and the hook itself will attach to the jackscrew.

I had an inquiry recently about bullet heads that made me want to test the "competitions" lure.  It was a 1 1/2 oz head with a black nickle plated hook.  This was my "test" to decide a proper test criteria.  What I found was that hooks will stretch out and then spring back when the load is released.  If the load is increased eventually there will be less spring back and the hook will take a definite deformed shape with no load.  That was what I was looking for.  At what load did the hook not return to it's original shape.  

That is what the test procedure will look for.  Hooks will be loaded to a certain point and released.  Visual inspection will be made to see if there's permanent deformation.  If not the load and release and inspection cycle will be repeated in 5 lb increments until the "failure" point is reached.

As I pointed out above this is a work in progress.  It will take awhile to finish as the process is time consuming and I have to do it when time allows.

In case anyone is curious the test I referenced above was a comparison of my own jig head and the "competitors".  Mine use a 8/0 Mustad 34185 short shank.  Who the hook manufacturer of the other head is is unknown to me.  It was of an approximate same size so it was a valid comparison in my mind.  The "brand x" hook took a severe permanent bend between 20 and 25 lbs.  The Mustad 8/0 on my head just began to bend permanently at 65lbs.  That's a damn good hook.  That's why I also use them almost exclusively.  If a customer wants a different hook I do my best to accommodate them.  Until the tests I plan to perform show me anything different I will continue to do that.

I know this was long but I hope it helps.

This right here^ thank you for this Dan. I always assumed that a 4/0 from brand x was the same size as a 4/0 from brand y. I’ve been fishing for about 30 years (since I was 5) but I’d say 90% of it was fresh water, mainly trout, smallies and cats and I never had to venture in this range of hook size. In the past couple years I’ve become hooked (pun intended) on salt/brackish fishing, rockfish mainly. I’m having as much fun learning in the off-season as I have gearing up to hit the road on a trip.

I’ve learned a lot from this thread from you and the other contributors. I look forward to following your hook tests and I look forward to trying out your jig heads. 

Ps- I’m not sure if you tried to PM me earlier when my account wasn’t approved for PM yet, but Tim fixed that for me. 

I’m not sure if you tried to PM me earlier when my account wasn’t approved for PM yet, but Tim fixed that for me. 

Yes I did.  That's how I found out you weren't a contributing member yet.  I'll send that PM now.

I don't feel we should limit ourselves to just "jig hooks". I don't. I'll use all kinds of different hooks. I'll  cut the hook, put a bend on it, use a Brass or Stainless Sinker eye and I'm in business. I'll even bend heavy gauge wire and make my own form.  I have a few junk molds that I drilled and you can add a sampo barrel swivel into the mold. Yes, it's easier with a jig hook, but since we don't have many jig hooks worthy to withstand the punishment of what Big Striped Bass can do and last in a salty environment we may have to make our own.

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

You can make the shank long or cut it.  Use any hook you want.

549853BC-3653-453F-96C7-DC127B4D7DE8.jpeg

D535EDF9-3755-4595-A101-F658EEFB82EE.jpeg

really nice stuff. I need to get setup. 

7 hours ago, misha said:

check Hogy line of jig heads... especially with their barbaric hooks.

Agree I just spent 100$ on jig heads even there 6/0 3/4oz head hook is very strong can't bend it side to side or push the point down although there not that saltwater proof so washing after use is a must

15 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

The Mustad 91715 is a good hook too and it comes in a 9/0 size.  It's a 90 degree eye.  Most molds that take the bigger size jig hooks can take a 3407 and use a brass or stainless sinker eye without any modification.  The 34007 is a stainless steel hook and I don't like to use them.  If you have to put a fish back that's gut hooked with a stainless hook it will die with that hook still in it.  

I use the 91715 for certain plastics where i need a long shank.  I agree it's also a solid hook.  When you're talking jigs i don't think stainless matters at all because i've never gut hooked a bass with a jig.  I also don't believe that hooks rust out in their throats thus saving their life.  Whoever came up with that BS is fooling themselves. They either live with the extra hardware or die from it at some point.  Regardless, the topic is hooks and are some of these hooks overkill? Probably for the majority of guys they are content fishing tiny jigs with little woims and 3/0 - 5/0 hooks that you can bend like over cooked spaghetti and t hey'll catch a few dinks and overall be content with their purchase  showing off their perfectly lined up jigs in their fancy pouches.  The other 1%  fish big plastic in fast water with braid and hardware needed to move pigs.  Everyone has their own needs but i think 99% are happy with and don't need anything better than a pack of Kalins.