Billy29

Fly fishing for Stripers basics

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

So I'm going to try and fly fishing for Strippers this year. I have the rod and reel but other than that I need some guidance. 

What would you recommend for 9 weight line, tippets and leader? I don't want to break the bank. Also what are some good basic flies that work in most conditions?

I have a 9 weight Diamondback fly rod and a Scientific Anglers reel. 

Billy you want to keep this easy and simple?

Leaders to start off with use a length of 20 lb clear mono or flouro.

For  floating  lines  about 9 to 12 feet.

For sinking lines from about 3 feet to 7 feet.

Flies

Deceivers in any colour you like size 1/0 until you get a better cast.

Clousers again any colour in a size 1

Popper in a size 1 any colour.

Find the fish and throw the above at them  and you stand a good chance of hooking up.

It will help enourmously if you invest in getting a decent cast. Can’t reach them you can’t catch them.

Mike

"bring lots of single bills"

The OP is not the first to make that mistake, nor will he be the last.  It is important to be gentle.

I wouldn't even bother to correct him but the visual images swirling through my (our?) brain are SOooo distracting.....or so I've been told.

Just to be clear.  Stripers are EASY to catch, with a fly or anything else.  Strippers are ONLY attracted to green lettuce, the bigger leaves the better, and for short periods of time only.......or so I've been told.

Once we get past this, then we can more calmly begin to answer his question.

Edited by Peter Patricelli

Pretty hard to add anything to Mike Oliver's advice above.  If you've chosen the beach don't neglect making a few casts parallel to the sand into the trench below the breaking waves.

Billy, I checked and I see that you live in Long Island. I am not familiar with that area but with the number of posts you have I assume you know the area and enough places to go. That is one of the biggest obstacles you wont have to overcome. I think one of the best pieces of advice I could offer would be to find places to to fish with the wind at your back. The second thing I would say is work on your mechanics and the distance will come in due time. I think a lot of emphasis is placed on distance and after the cast in most cases you end up stripping you cast more than half way back before you get a hit. In many cases the fish are closer than you think, thus the advice of making casts parallel to the beach. The other thing I would caution against is do not start with flies that are too big, most of my fishing is done with size 1 or 1/0 about 4 to 5 inches long. The other issue is people all have opinions on what line to use, I would suggest a intermediate line to start. I think most this line by far more than any other line.

Good Luck and Tight Lines.

7 hours ago, Billy29 said:

So I'm going to try and fly fishing for Strippers this year. I have the rod and reel but other than that I need some guidance. 

What would you recommend for 9 weight line, tippets and leader? I don't want to break the bank. Also what are some good basic flies that work in most conditions?

I have a 9 weight Diamondback fly rod and a Scientific Anglers reel. 

Back in the 90's and early 2000's I did a lot of Striper fly fishing and used the Scientific Anglers reel. Being the nut I am I think I got 2 or 3 extra spools for it. I even used it Salmon fishing. They're great reels. Wish I used mine more! If you do any night fishing use large black streamers.

Billy 29, 

You have a great Striped Bass Rig.  I have a Diamonback, 7/8 St, 9 foot, 2 piece and use two SA System 2 reels on it.  a floating line for poppers, sliders and gurgelers  flys for top water fishing for blues ad striped bass, and a Rio WF8I outbound 1.5 sink rate. 

In the Spring all you need for striped bass and blue fish is a 5 foot mono 20# test leader. No tippet needed.  Bot species are hungry as hell in April, May ad June.  Bluefish are deep ocean dwellers who winter off shore And in April they come into the coast and move into the bays and rivers in a feeding frenzy. Big headed blue fish with long skinny bodies.  Two to three weeks later their bodies fill out from their huge feeding habits.  Striped bass in the Chesapeake Bay River spawn in late April and early May, once a mature female Striped bass lays her egg's she will head out to the Atlantic Ocean and begin migrating not to New England and the Gulf of Maine. The Same goes for Hudson River mature Female Striped Bass who spawn between May 10 and May 20 in the 110 mile portion of the Hudson River that is freshwater Tidal and head for the Atlantic Ocean and the western ed of :Long Island Sound as they migrate to  the Southern Beaches of Cape Cod and the waters around Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard for the summer months.

Welcome aboard SOL's FF Forum.  You are going to like it here.  Where do you plan on fishing for Striped bass?

If I may I'd like to recommend two books you should be able to find on Amazon.  Fly Rodding Estuaries by Ed Mitchell

and Fly Fishing for Striped Bass by Rich Murphy.  If you live in NH & MA, you might be able to pick up the Rich Murphy's book from him personally.  It Sells fro $59.95 but if you seek out  author you could get it at 1/3 the cost ad have him sign it for you. 

RJ

Edited by RJ

It occurs to me to back up a little ....Billy, is this your first fly outfit?  It's awful easy to teach yourself to cast, with bad habits.If you're an absolute beginner, take lessons. 

Great advice.

Make a stripping basket to prevent the currents and waves from tangling fly line around your legs. Search this website for how to make stripping baskets.

To find stripers look for edges like drop offs or rocks, or where calm water edges against moving water.

Eye protection is critical. Wear plastic shatterproof sunglasses or at night wear clear glasses worn by carpenters.