Trailer for Johnson’s silver minnow

dannyplug1

I am going. To make a better effort in the local ponds for pickerel.  As a kid we used anything weed less and flashy.  This meant a Johnson silver minnow with pork rind.  Now that pork rind is no longer  available do I go with the substitutes: fat cow, otter, or plastics or try to find some pork at a reasonable price on flea bay.  Mention of specific trailers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Charlie 

Charlie, try using an Owner CPS spring and imbed it into the head of a 3" grub. They basically corkscrew into the head of the plastic, if you've never seen one. You screw it in till the eye is somewhat covered, and then pass the hook through the eye, grabbing a small amt. of plastic. It will become a free swinging grub and dance around, giving a lot more action than if you threaded it onto the hook. If you google it, you should be able to understand how they work by looking at them. I can take a pic and post it too. I use them a lot for smallmouth and rig them with Super Flukes.

One place I like in the summer is so very thick with grass (weeds), I can only throw "weedless".    Have great luck there with the silver minnow (Bass, Picks, White Perch) and have tried a variety of "trailers".    I have better success without a trailer.   Have seen some good articles on the interwebs about trailers for the silver minnow, tried a few and gave up on the idea.    A silver minnow falling through an opening in the grass is deadly by itself.    Just my experience.

17 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

Mac 26 I found the screw holder you were talking about at TWharehouse. One problem they have a bunch of sizes what size do you recommended?  thanks Charlie

Charles - I have some of the CPS - I'll bring them to the club meeting next Tuesday - bring your spoons.

Charles i use the medium size for my fishing applications, but you may need the large to get over the barb of those spoons. They were fairly big if i remember right.

I use them with Super Flukes for LM and smallies. Great skipping bait. Just keep it quiet! :laugh:

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

Edited by Mack26

Thanks Dennis, yeah it works awesome! Not great for weedy areas, but killer in rocky bottom areas, and in open water flats. Love 'em around docks. You might think your hook up ratio goes down with that style of rigging, but most of the hits you get with the fluke are head shots, so you lose very few. 

6 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Thanks Dennis, yeah it works awesome! Not great for weedy areas, but killer in rocky bottom areas, and in open water flats. Love 'em around docks. You might think your hook up ratio goes down with that style of rigging, but most of the hits you get with the fluke are head shots, so you lose very few. 

A million uses for the CPS springs, such a great little piece of kit for people who like to fiddle around with rigging!

I targeting Fall Pike with the Johnsons silver/gold minnows and was pleasantly surprised of how well the Otter Tails worked with them, the Awsome thing was that the tails could be left on the spoon without it drying up like the old rinds. Just put the spoon in a zip lock bag and put it away, the zip lock keeps it (otter tail) from getting dirty and protects the spoon from being scratched.